Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 70 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2006, 01:40 AM   #691
diyAudio Member

Neat... i like the bases very much. What speakers are facing backwards?

Godzilla
Old 19th May 2006, 04:04 AM   #692
diyAudio Member

I don't have enough hours on them to consider the drivers broken in. My first impression is that they sure don't lack for bass. If anything they are too full in the 40-50 Hz range. Some (maybe all) of that is the main resonance of the den they're in, but the same was true in the living room which is much larger. I need to make some short stands for them, the drivers are well below ear level now so the top end is rolled off. On axis listening will be essential. The well-documented dip above 100 Hz is in effect, too.

So, as they sit, they are somewhat flawed. Stands will help, I expect that some bracing in the mouth will be appropriate (as I said in an earlier post, the 3/4" pine boxes are hardly dead enough to please the cabinet resonance Nazis), and I'm sure that I'll be playing with both damping and some sort of filter network (treble notch or BSC, not sure which, maybe both?).

There's good stuff happening too. I'm enjoing listening to them, colorations and all. The only full-range drivers I've ever listened to have been headphones, and in some ways the sound of these reminds me of 'phones. I never thought about headphone sound in terms of having no xovers, but now I'm thinking that is a critical aspect in the clarity of sound from headphones. The prominent bass works like loudness compensation at lower listening levels, and I kind of like it. Turn them up and throw on some reggae (I've got Dub Side of the Moon on again as I write this) and they're ready to boogie. They won't go disco party loud, but they're plenty loud enough for my needs.

It's amazing just how much music (and how much bass!) you can get out of a tiny pair of drivers. I'm going to be playing with these for a while to see what I can get out of them.

Bill
Old 19th May 2006, 04:14 AM   #693
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Godzilla
Neat... i like the bases very much. What speakers are facing backwards?

Godzilla

Paradigm Control Monitors, late '80's vintage. The stands they are on are probably the nicest woodwork I've ever done. The rails and stiles are solid 5/4 oak, with mortise and tenon joints in all directions. I used a table saw to help with the tenons, but cut all the mortises with mallet and chisel. The panels are 3/4" ply veneered in ribbon cut white oak. They're sand filled and solid as all get out. I built them when I was recently divorced, dateless and looking to fill up some hours between parenting duties. I won't have that kind of time again until I retire.
Old 19th May 2006, 07:37 AM   #694
hlj is offline hlj  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yes this one has me puzzled too? Is any horn loading going on here?, or merely using the db gain acheived by wall or corner positioning?

As the BiB is in essence a 1/2 wl voight pipe, a certain amount of horn loading is taking place? i.e. acoustic gain.

Another question that i wonder about, is I believe that the driver is positioned on th 1/5 harmonic, which is an anti-node, surely the 2/5 which is a node would be better?
Old 19th May 2006, 03:28 PM   #695
diyAudio Member

It is a horn -Voigt (no 'h') style back-loaded. The intro I wrote on Jeff's wonderful BIB pages, which is heavily based on a number of Greg's emails to me and other posts, goes into this in a little more detail. It just happens to use the corner of the room to complete the horn mouth.

2/5? Swings and roundabouts really. You get some benefits, some other issues, but the real physical problem is it puts the driver too low down for practicality.
Old 19th May 2006, 05:10 PM   #696
diyAudio Member

Many thanks SM.

Quote:
It is a horn -Voigt (no 'h') style back-loaded. The intro I wrote on Jeff's wonderful BIB pages, which is heavily based on a number of Greg's emails to me and other posts, goes into this in a little more detail
Have just found the pages you mention, very informative, a little hidden away though? just thought there would be a list of names under the Site Contributors heading, sorry! will have to have to have a good look now.

Quote:
It just happens to use the corner of the room to complete the horn mouth.
So technically a bifolded version would achieve a larger horn mouth being shorter?
Old 19th May 2006, 06:54 PM   #697
diyAudio Member

IMHO the major site contributors are Scott (for working up most of the sims and dims, and kicking off this interesting thread/discussion, Greg (for his sims and dims as well as his private emails with Scott to confirm things were in working order, Martin (for creating the software used to generate this info… and Terry for pointing out the BIB design has merit… building a couple pair and writing an article about its sound.

Also everyone contributing to this thread is really a site contributor. LC for creating some additional graphics (thank you) and everyone that’s built and posted pics of their BIBs.

Peace,
Godzilla

http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-Intro.asp
Old 19th May 2006, 07:33 PM   #698
diyAudio Member

Quote:
IMHO the major site contributors are Scott (for working up most of the sims and dims, and kicking off this interesting thread/discussion, Greg (for his sims and dims as well as his private emails with Scott to confirm things were in working order, Martin (for creating the software used to generate this info… and Terry for pointing out the BIB design has merit… building a couple pair and writing an article about its sound.
I have nothing but admiration, for people like yourselves who devote a great deal of time, enthusiasm, and effort in a bid to further or promote their hobby, for the benefit of all.

It is also nice to be able to contribute to a discussion irrespective of technical level or ability. I guess this is what makes hobby forums so successful.

My comment was not intended as a criticism, apologies if that was how it appeared.
Old 19th May 2006, 07:43 PM   #699
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hello everybody!

Sorry for just an other boring will this driver work question, what do you think about the Ciare HX160? Its IB response is still there at 100Hz, despite the not too high Qts. Good bass from a small fullranger, I feel this is something I have to try.
http://www.ciare.com/pdf/catalogo/HX160.pdf

Greets, Oliver
Old 19th May 2006, 09:44 PM   #700
diyAudio Member

Default well.....

it seems my esteemed colleague deleted all the pictures documenting the construction process of the 166 esr horns I built a while back without telling me. he deleted those photos to make space for pictures of drunk people. ahhh college. I recently finished my last final and the project of bringing a tutorial to the web of the BIB was one of the first things on the list.

I suppose that I could write text in a very detailed fashion. I tend to prefer text only manuals anyways, but we'll see...

here we go though. I have another set of drivers and plywood and some time on my hands. anyone want to give me dims for a fe126e? not tuned too low?

thanks...

clark

Hide this!Advertise here!