Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 63 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2006, 12:31 PM   #621
zek is offline zek  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Exclamation Help calculate BIB

Please someone help me to calculate BIB parameters:

L = ???? (Fs)
Sm= ???? (Sd) maybe Sm = 4 * Sd or so
So = 0.2 * L

Thanks in advance
Old 11th May 2006, 12:54 PM   #622
MuaDibb is offline MuaDibb  United States
diyAudio Member

I see alot of people using pine for their speakers, has anyone tried poplar? It is denser than pine and more stable. Pretty easy to find, at your local hardware/lumber and since its pre-cut into boards you might find you won't have much cutting to do. Slightly more expensive than the pine, but I don't think its a big difference. Just a thought.
Old 11th May 2006, 01:11 PM   #623
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Help calculate BIB

Quote:
Originally posted by zek
Please someone help me to calculate BIB parameters:

L = ???? (Fs)
Sm= ???? (Sd) maybe Sm = 4 * Sd or so
So = 0.2 * L

Thanks in advance

You've lost me: what are you asking?
Old 11th May 2006, 01:54 PM   #624
zek is offline zek  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Help calculate BIB

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose

You've lost me: what are you asking?

I am asking haw to calculate L - line lenght, Sm - terminus area and So - lenght from sealed end top to driver center, for some drivers I can find here (Visaton, or Gradient).

Hereis data for Gradient W160AL8 driver:
Fs = 44.5 Hz
Qms = 2.30
Qes = 0.63
Qts = 0.49
Sd = 127 cm2
Vas = 22 l
Eff. = 87.9 dB

please make a BIB sim for this driver
Old 11th May 2006, 04:16 PM   #625
diyAudio Member

Default choose of wood cabinet

Quote:
Originally posted by MuaDibb
I see alot of people using pine for their speakers, has anyone tried poplar? It is denser than pine and more stable. Pretty easy to find, at your local hardware/lumber and since its pre-cut into boards you might find you won't have much cutting to do. Slightly more expensive than the pine, but I don't think its a big difference. Just a thought.
i'm looking for suggestions for what wood to use for my bib, as i'm having a hard time finding birch ply. the big shop near me has beech ply and plenty of other types of wood, including pine. i'm looking for something that sounds good and is stable, cost is not too much of an issue as this is a relatively small build. no mahogany of course and there is always the option of mdf.

thanks!
Old 11th May 2006, 04:20 PM   #626
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

Use the best ply you can.

MDF = bad for sound, bad for lungs, just plain BAD.
Old 11th May 2006, 04:39 PM   #627
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: choose of wood cabinet

Greets!

Any of the hardwoods with low moisture retention properties is suitable, such as white oak, white ash, black ash, green ash, and hard maple. Then for those with machining capability or more patience than me: Lignum Vitae, Kingwood, Cocobolo, Tulipwood, Pau Ferro, Honduras Rosewood, Goncalo Alves, Bubinga, Wenge, and Purpleheart.

I love the look of Pine, but until it's been weathered for several decades is it ideally suited for speaker cabs unless well damped like Bob Brines does his MDF cabs and any knots epoxied to ensure they can't rattle/squeak/leak.

GM
Old 11th May 2006, 04:41 PM   #628
diyAudio Member

Default Audio Nirvana 6.5

Quote:
Audio Nirvana Standard 6.5BIB

Line length 133in.
Zdriver 26.75in
Terminus area 118.125in^2

Hi Scott,

here are messured TSPs from Audio Nirvana 6.5 Standard. Just wondering if the ANs 6.5 BIB would need to be modified for these ... as I might go for this driver.

fs 56Hz
Re 7,1
Rms 1,14
Qms 2,94
Qes 0,27
Qts 0,25
Cms 0,85
Mms 9,49 g
BxL 9,33
Vas 19,7
Le 0,07
Sd 129 qcm

Zilla, did you get my email with the How to Pics? ... got yours mail with the pic (nice one!).

best, martin
Old 11th May 2006, 04:49 PM   #629
diyAudio Member

This is the last one i got from you LC... Is this the latest one? I want to put to bed the confusion of building BiBs soon and would like to clear up any inconsistancy.

Thanks.

Godzilla
Attached Images
File Type: gif bib_3lc.gif (30.5 KB, 628 views)
Old 11th May 2006, 05:07 PM   #630
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: choose of wood cabinet

Quote:
Originally posted by dmason
Use the best ply you can.
i'm not really sure which plys are good, i've only heard of people using birch.

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
Greets!

Any of the hardwoods with low moisture retention properties is suitable, such as white oak, white ash, black ash, green ash, and hard maple. Then for those with machining capability or more patience than me: Lignum Vitae, Kingwood, Cocobolo, Tulipwood, Pau Ferro, Honduras Rosewood, Goncalo Alves, Bubinga, Wenge, and Purpleheart.

I love the look of Pine, but until it's been weathered for several decades is it ideally suited for speaker cabs unless well damped like Bob Brines does his MDF cabs and any knots epoxied to ensure they can't rattle/squeak/leak.

GM
thanks, gm. i don't know much about wood and less about woodworking, so i guess you are referring to solid wood. i will inquire about the prices of some aged oak or ash and i will go this route if it's not too much more than ply. i've also seen some nice solid beech (again, i know) that looks quite old and solid. i have a friend that uses it as a base for large iron sculptures, but i'm not sure how it would "sound".

Hide this!Advertise here!