Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 60 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2006, 01:59 PM   #591
diyAudio Member

Lousy... that pic looks awesome! I hope they sound amazing!

I do have dims and sims from Scott for the old style 168S and just havent added them to the site... along with one for the Fostex 208! I will get them up asap! I dont know why i didnt put them out there. Sorry. Everything else Scott and GM sent i put up.

I did take the 108S off because Terry Cain said he was coming out with a 108S BIB commercially very soon. If anyone wants the dims and sims i will email them directly rather than post what could possibly be his design online. I have no details on his 108S BIB but out of respect i took the design off.

He didnt ask me too, i just felt it was the right thing to do. Sorry Scott, i should have let you know.

Godzilla
Old 8th May 2006, 03:12 PM   #592
diyAudio Member

I suspect Terry still has some of his usual magic up his sleeve. I look forward to seeing them. Any new C&C speaker is worth drooling over. Have you seen the Noogi's? and the Wall O' Sound? Lovely.

Best
Scott
Old 8th May 2006, 05:52 PM   #593
hlj is offline hlj  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Variation on a theme.. Your thoughts please..

L = 144"
So
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bibib.jpg (14.0 KB, 730 views)
Old 8th May 2006, 06:58 PM   #594
diyAudio Member

This creative thinking is one good reason why listing the dimensions the way they are is better than providing exact measurements. Thanks Scott and GM for suggesting doing it this way! Folding the pipe again may help builders looking into very tall designs like the Hemps, B200s, Pioneers, etc… or perhaps not. But it’s an interesting idea that may help us shorten cabs for higher WAF or to fit specific décor.

I wonder about driver positioning as well as angling of the internal baffles. But thanks for providing another neat variation. Lets see if anyone comments on its viability.

Godzilla

http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib.asp
Old 8th May 2006, 07:01 PM   #595
diyAudio Member

For some reason half of spec went missing? here goes again:-

L = 144"
So = 30"
Sm = 95.1"
Old 8th May 2006, 09:08 PM   #596
diyAudio Member

hi wilson, thanks for the in-depth response! i was able to follow most of your reasoning but was unclear about how you obtained your measurement for height. i may just go with the length/2, in this case 112cm.

thanks for mentioning the full width front. i had planned on using the interior width but that would not have worked with the small width i plan to use (12.5cm). also the spacer is another good idea that i will be sure to use as the little fostex has quite a magnet!

hlj, that's a nice looking design, very compact. i wonder how much you would lose with less coupling with the ceiling, though. with the 88" line length of the fe108ez that would be less than 30", a nice size indeed...

Quote:
Originally posted by wac38

Once I have these pieces, I plan to recut the lengths at home to get the 88" L. With the as shop-cut pieces the Llength is very approx (apologies to earlier posters regarding the accuracy of this) 1220 - 19 [bottom] - (178/2) [height to baffle end] + PI* (178/2) [around baffle] + (1220 - 19 -(178/2)) [up the horn] = 2.5 m, so I need to take about 13 cm off the height off of the front, back & sides for total length = 1090mm, inside = 1071mm, gives roughly 2.25 m L, roughly 88". The baffle, with the inside height at 1071 mm, it gives a length of about SQR(1071^2+(178/2)^2) = 1075 mm (point to point, ignoring thickness and termination, so a minimum of 1075 mm = 43 1/3").

I have worried about two things in particular, that the size of the driver is not too wide for the front piece (part of the reason I use a full-width front). Holes for the 108eZ are at 115 mm dia, so there is practical limit for the inside width (120mm, holes are 5mm dia) and (as mentioned earlier) the driver will touch the baffle (it does on the original 15mm drawings I did), so I will add another 158 x 158 x 19 mm spacer to the front, to mount the driver to just to be sure.

Sorry this was a bit long-winded,

w. [/B]
Old 8th May 2006, 09:11 PM   #597
diyAudio Member

Exactly the reason behind the idea, just couldnt persuade her indoors about the virtues of the tall BiB design.

Which judging by the positive comments are just too tempting to pass by.

I am planning to knock up some prototypes shortly and would like to share my experiences here if I may.
Old 8th May 2006, 09:19 PM   #598
diyAudio Member

Hi there,
been away for a while.

Scott, you are right about the back panel with an aperiodic "normal box", but I'm going to try this idea on the mouth of my BIBs since it is so easy to attach it there. If it works good I may keep it. Of course then it would not be a BIB anymore?!

I remember now why this has been in my mind for a while. There was a company near my birth place that produced huge loudspeakers with slots in the back. As I recalled they were using Fostex FE 208? and Gamma VLD12/13? ribbon horn. I listened to the largest with four FE's and they had a huge soundstage with an impact that came close to stand 3 meters away from a real drumset.
Of course this was 20 years back, so....?
I will try to find out more about these speakers.
Cheers
Old 8th May 2006, 10:08 PM   #599
wac38 is offline wac38  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi Giantstairs,

At an exciting moment... got all the wood etc and have started gluing. The internal height I have is 1071 mm. From a quick measure (with string) with the baffle in place I have L within a few mm of required.
Piccies when I get to work tomorrow...

Best,

w.
Old 8th May 2006, 11:02 PM   #600
diyAudio Member

My first BIB is on the slab... for the Fostex 168S... for dims and sims scroll to the bottom of the link below.

http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-fostex.asp

Peace,
Godzilla
Attached Images
File Type: jpg godzillasbib1.jpg (51.9 KB, 619 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!