Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 527 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2013, 02:35 AM   #5261
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpicard View Post
This angling out would probably negate the effect of final expansion the corners (or ceiling-wall at least) have for the design, turning it into a kind of "hidden transmission line" enclosure. Not bad, per se, but probably without the bass extension that is characteristic of the design.

Gaston
If you put the vent at the very top corner between the wall and ceiling you may still end up with pretty good ceiling loading and corner loading. The smaller net Vb can be dealt with using smaller drivers with lower Qts. If the BIB has a 50 square in or less cross sectional area, it can work.
Old 23rd August 2013, 02:59 AM   #5262
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
If you put the vent at the very top corner between the wall and ceiling you may still end up with pretty good ceiling loading and corner loading. The smaller net Vb can be dealt with using smaller drivers with lower Qts. If the BIB has a 50 square in or less cross sectional area, it can work.
Yes, that´s right but except if one has a room of almost exact proportions, or non-beaming speakers (*very* rare at HF) it will involve mounting the speaker at an angle to fire adequately at the listening position and that will be fixed too. IMO, it's very complex and has too many constraints to be attractive. But... there are horses for courses, and it might fit some people.

In-wall mounting is more attractive to me in the case of really big sub-woofer tapped horns.

Gaston
Old 10th October 2013, 08:51 PM   #5263
Pepe is offline Pepe  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I've been trying to find a BIB calculator that works with apple. Is there a version that works with apple?
I want to build FIB for faital pro 3fe22, will be wallmount in a small appartment.
They work great in tabaqs so my hopes are high for FIBs on wall!

Pepe
Old 10th October 2013, 10:44 PM   #5264
mightym is offline mightym  United States
diyAudio Member

Pepe,

I ran the driver on my copy of the calculator, Here are the results:

Ignore the Dayton result in the first column. The results you want are in the second column all the way to the right.

Hope this will help.

John

Edit: the first pic has no values, I don't know why... I added another screen shot of the right info, but don't know how to delete the first pic....

The corrected picture didn't up load, let me try again....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter_02 Oct. 10 17.37.jpg (27.7 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter_04 Oct. 10 17.38.jpg (45.4 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenHunter_05 Oct. 10 17.46.jpg (28.1 KB, 250 views)

Last edited by mightym; 10th October 2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10th October 2013, 10:55 PM   #5265
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
I've been trying to find a BIB calculator that works with apple. Is there a version that works with apple?
I want to build FIB for faital pro 3fe22, will be wallmount in a small appartment.
They work great in tabaqs so my hopes are high for FIBs on wall!

Pepe
Hi Pepe
As far as I know, the BIB calculator should work fine with Libre Office (free, open source office suite), which is available for every (well... almost) operating system.

Libre Office Download page

The calculator makes use of only a few formulas so it should be no problem to you to use.

Gaston
Old 10th October 2013, 10:55 PM   #5266
diyAudio Member

John,
Thank you for the info.
Will have to read up a little on how to determind how to determind the exact messires of the cabs and sorce some good build material, some wood that is light but/and stiff.
Old 10th October 2013, 11:02 PM   #5267
diyAudio Member

Hi Gaston. I will try that, thank you for pointing that out to me (i'm a new user of mac).
You don't happen to know where to sorce build material in Bs As, some where that they cut the pieces for you?

Pepe
Old 10th October 2013, 11:16 PM   #5268
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
You don't happen to know where to sorce build material in Bs As, some where that they cut the pieces for you?

Pepe
Mnope... I did the job myself with barely acceptable ply bought from Home Depot (before they were bought by Easy) and also used scrape particleboard from a donor furniture piece.

If you are in Buenos Aires, then La Viruta can do that for you (and it is somewhat expensive) but also almost any wood shop will do the cutting with the right tolerances if you explain they clearly that you want the wood to make a piece of furniture with close tolerances. You want your squares square
Old 10th October 2013, 11:30 PM   #5269
diyAudio Member

Not in Bs As yet, qill be there in a few days. Will contact La Viruta when I get there.
In sweden we have sucha strong/big diy carpenter/construction culture that we are really spoiled with tons of good places to buy good quality ply, mdf, etc. Not so much in Argentina it seems.
Would love to score some quebracha plywood!
Old 27th October 2013, 08:42 PM   #5270
diyAudio Member

You can download the BIB Calculator from this link:

https://sites.google.com/site/speake...enclosures/bib

Zilla

Hide this!Advertise here!