Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 522 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2013, 12:13 PM   #5211
diyAudio Member

Made a Mini BiB in foam board...

Click the image to open in full size.
How should I describe the sound then?
WOW, I'm stuck, feel a new addiction coming.

Of course they do not rattle any windows, but there are enough bass so that's really fun to listen to Vicious Delicious by Infected Mushroom.
But they need not be ashamed when they play Ohio by Over The Rhine or Joy to my soul by Oslo Gospel Choir.

A bigger one is on the way

This one uses Aura NS3-193-8A1 and Vifa DQ25SC16 that is not connected right now.

\M
Old 19th February 2013, 06:36 PM   #5212
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Fantastic job Mag. They look great and I bet they sound even better. Did you have to play with the stuffing much? I went through many iterations on stuffing levels and densities before I had a sound that I was happy with. Looks like you did the standard fill from the sharp corner to the bottom turn?
Old 20th February 2013, 03:41 PM   #5213
diyAudio Member

The BIB continues to be a satisfying design. Glad to see this edition with more to come.
Old 6th March 2013, 03:37 PM   #5214
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Flatter is Better Plan for Vifa TC9FD driver. What is not shown are numerous vertical braces every 2 to 3 inches, braces would be aligned parallel to direction of flow (diagonal in the corners). Probably 25 to 30 2 in wide x 4 in tall pieces of 3/16 in thick foam core braces glued with hot melt to back panel and then with PVA to front baffle. Use 90 deg square guide to ensure braces are vertical and square when fastening to back panel with hot melt glue. I would put stuffing in closed end and loosely up the 180 deg turn. Adjust to taste. I think that there may be extensive bass with this design and it may require more stuffing than usual.

Click the image to open in full size.

For those wishing to build this out of wood. You can still use plywood (I would use 1/4 in thick to keep it light so it can be hung on wall). Use the foam core just for the internal diagonal as it is easy to curve by scoring lines on the concave side.

I finished the FIB last night. I had to go to Dollar Tree to get just one sheet of foamcore to finish. Next thing I know I'm coming out the door with 10 sheets and 5 bags of glue sticks ($15!). This is getting bad xrk.... Now I'm off to Joann for more stuffing!
Old 6th March 2013, 04:28 PM   #5215
diyAudio Member

SurfaceTension,
Great! So you went with the design above? I actually ended up with the inverted V for my FIB. Curious how it sounds and looks? Pictures please I have yet to buy stuffing. I look around the house for old pillows that we don't use - just make sure to ask the boss before you can cut up her pillows!
Your dollar tree sells glue sticks? Where?
X

Last edited by xrk971; 6th March 2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 8th March 2013, 01:49 PM   #5216
diyAudio Member

Bump.
Surface Tension - do you have photos and listening impressions of your new FIBs?
X
Old 9th March 2013, 12:10 AM   #5217
diyAudio Member

xrk,

Sorry, stupid day job gets in the way of my fun!

As with the cornu a bit of experimentation is needed with stuffing. Not sure I've got it right yet. I'm going to take them to my buddies place this weekend so I can compare directly with the 20" cornu. At first they seemed to have that midrange shout but with addition of Sonic Barrier behind the driver and more stuffing seems to mellow out. So far they seem to require quite a bit more stufffing than the cornu, good bass response, audible to 40hz range (according to my Bink test cd) nice at 50hz signal. I need to figure out measuring soon. I can play test tones but no way to measure. The man cave is getting a bit crowded at this point and placement is not optimal. At present I have them setting on the floor against the wall, no wall hangers mounted yet. Primitive evaluation. Overall from a musical standpoint I am very encouraged and will continue to work with the stuffing, placement and mounting hardware. I've sampled through some of my favorite music test cds and am encouraged with the results, just feel I haven't quite arrived yet.

And yes, my local Dollar Tree carries glue sticks now, 20 sticks 1$, nice!

I'll report back when I have some more time to listen and tune. Thanks for the plan xrk.

FIB.3.jpg

FIB.2.jpg

stix.jpg
Old 9th March 2013, 12:46 AM   #5218
diyAudio Member

Surface Tension,
Those look very nice! Is that luaun plywood you are using? That's astonishing to get to 50 Hz and audible 40 Hz. The deeper 4 in profile seems to help with bass compared to 3 in depth I made.
Old 9th March 2013, 02:05 PM   #5219
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Increasing net Vb = increasing acoustic efficiency, so wider and/or deeper will lower F3, etc. and Fb[p] will lower due to increasing port/terminus end correction for a given acoustic path-length and why I always recommend making a cab as large as practical for the intended app to reduce distortion and maximize tuning flexibility.

GM

Last edited by GM; 9th March 2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 9th March 2013, 03:41 PM   #5220
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surface tension View Post
I need to figure out measuring soon. I can play test tones but no way to measure.

I'll report back when I have some more time to listen and tune. Thanks for the plan xrk.
Buy a Panasonic wm61a mic capsule from Digikey ($2 ea). Look up circuit schematic on web for wm61a and measurement - wire 3.5 mm plug from cheap old set of headphones to mic. Plug into mic input of pc and use Holmimpulse software and you are in business. Panasonic mic is being discontinued and replaced by another brand - wm61a has calibrated file for Holmimpulse, but is basically flat response from 20 Hz to 20 kHz.

The FIB took a lot of messing around with the stuffing. It took me at least 7 iterations to get it right. It helps to have measurement to see where problem is and to balance left and right.

Glad you are happy with plan and found it fun.

Hide this!Advertise here!