Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 520 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2013, 11:57 PM   #5191
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
I'd think a layer of felt would have much the same effect and be better looking, as well as being much easier to apply.
Yeah, all anyone has to do is find how dense open cell foam has to be to make an audible difference on a horn mouth to see that this is most probably an exercise in futility, but as always, only one way to know for sure, so looking forward to the results.

GM
Old 31st January 2013, 12:53 AM   #5192
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

It's going to be hard to tell the difference as there is no before and after the enabling.
Old 31st January 2013, 01:00 AM   #5193
diyAudio Member

Bummer! Why the effort then?

GM
Old 31st January 2013, 01:50 AM   #5194
diyAudio Member

G'day All,

The relevant thread for BIB EnABL is here Extreme BIB cabinet EnABL
Note that the thread title starts with the word 'Extreme' for good reason.

I have been EnABLing baffles, ports etc. since 2007 when I first stumbled across the original thread. IME the changes are audible and overwhelmingly positive.
DIY proof of concept is simple for those that are interested in trying it for themselves.

Happy to discuss BIB EnABL with anyone who is interested in the thread above rather than derail this one.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 31st January 2013, 03:28 AM   #5195
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00B00 View Post
Brillant! Thanks Greg...

Any suggestions with regards to wing/supra-baffle shape?

I'm gathering that round is bad.

I'll experiment but if pointed in the right direction it would save me time, material and money.

Making a pattern to *enable* inside of the cabinet.

We'll see how well it works in reality.
Greets!

You’re welcome!

A free-form to ensure maximizing random modes is best, but looks too weird unless you have Salvador Dali prints decorating your room, so a simple full height slant baffle ala Carver where the span across the driver is around 30” with a 1:12 slope minimum and preferably 2:12 on one side is what I’d do if there’s room; otherwise make it as wide at the base as you can and it is what it is across the driver: http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...kA5BOCIBgXMClw

Yes, round is worst since it generates what is essentially an infinite number of the same eigenmodes, so will have the highest amplitude peaks, dips to comb filter with the driver’s output. Offsetting the driver helps a bit, but it looks weird too.

Since you’re not going to be able to tell if the cab EnABLing is doing anything audible, you could make a couple of round baffles and try one with, without and then compare both to the slant baffle with, without. That should make for an enlightening comparison, though it would have to be done in a double blind test to be sure.

Again, you've got way more patience than me!

GM
Old 31st January 2013, 05:01 PM   #5196
B00B00 is offline B00B00  Canada
diyAudio Member

Cool thanks Greg.

I will enable the baffle exteriors as well and will be able to compare before and after.
I have an open mind, we'll see what happens.

I don't mind free-form but I'm guessing that a free form baffle could work very well in one room and not so well in another.
If I were to do make cardboard cutouts at first to test would this be rigid enough to give me an idea as to which direction to pursue?

I know there are a lot of skeptics and I myself have yet to be convinced as I haven't heard the results but the proof will be in the pudding.

That being said, there are a lot of people who think they hear a difference
and there are other domains in which boundary level events play an important role.

http://www.zipp.com/_media/pdfs/tech..._the_edges.pdf

Not quite the enable pattern but I get the feeling it's along the same lines.

-andré-
Old 1st February 2013, 01:31 PM   #5197
diyAudio Member

More progress..
Started enabling inside of cabinet.

Click the image to open in full size.
The template worked well at first.
Then started to delaminate...

Not completely happy with the results as the edges aren't as crisp as I wanted them to be.
This is caused by my plaster being a bit runny and as I worked the plaster would dry in the template causing less than square openings.

And siliconed the backside of my front baffles... filled up any cracks and nail holes.
Click the image to open in full size.

Hoping to finish enabling this weekend and perhaps start gluing them together.

-andré-
Old 1st February 2013, 02:05 PM   #5198
diyAudio Member

Wow! Sure hope it has some benefit, but honestly don't see how plus it seems that if any additional insulation needs to be added to quell eigenmodes it will completely 'drown out' any damping effect.

GM
Old 1st February 2013, 02:32 PM   #5199
diyAudio Member

I agree. That being said, I don't think the enable pattern is supposed to dampen anything.
It makes the cabinet less... lossy???
How and why, who knows? I admit the science is beyond me.
I'm adding it here because I can and I can't see it doing any harm. I'll do before and after on the exterior of the cabinets once they are done but then again, that will be subjective.
Old 1st February 2013, 04:13 PM   #5200
diyAudio Member

Maybe someone could Enable a piano and see if it sounds any better?

Hide this!Advertise here!