Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 52 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2006, 08:30 PM   #511
diyAudio Member

Interesting. I might do a little surgery on my Monacors, which I have to say I think are brilliant value. Great little drivers.

Now, who was that lucky person who's running the FE168ESigma in the Supravox 215 TQWT built by a certain Mr Terry Cain? I was modelling the enclosure for the current thread re what to do with a pair of 215RTFs, and I remembered you were doing that. So, for your interest (& anyone elses), this is what MathCad says you should be getting out of it. 0.3lbs ft^3 of stuffing around the driver assumed BTW. Looks pretty good to me. Should be nice and musical.

Best
Scott
Attached Images
File Type: gif supravox 215rtf tqwt with fe168esigma.gif (6.0 KB, 809 views)
Old 1st May 2006, 08:48 PM   #512
diyAudio Member

Well. remember I have four Monacors and I still use cheap electronics. Could be different with better stuff driving them!
Hate spoil your Eggfest meeting
Old 1st May 2006, 09:10 PM   #513
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GM

Greets!

Looks like this one got lost in the heap, so to speak........

L = 64.58"
Sm = 220"^2
driver down 14" from the top (pointed end)

With a ~53 Hz cut-off , wider BW nulls due to the fast taper and too high a driver position without a third fold, you may not be happy with the results. Only one way to know for sure though.

GM
thanks for that gm! just checked back on the thread and had a lot to read.

in any case, the dims don't look very good... perhaps it would work better without the fold? would it just be a tall, right triangle, standing on it's vertex (with sides to support of course)?

i may just throw the beymas in an open baffle and try the BIB with the fe108ez, looks like a small, easy build.

regards from wine country!
Old 1st May 2006, 09:11 PM   #514
fred76 is offline fred76  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
Interesting. Can I show my ignorance here and ask, what is a K Slot design? I remember hearing of it, and seeing a spreadsheet Greg made, but know nothing else.

Best
Scott

Hi Scott,

It's a Karlson slot/waveguide vented enclosure. I posted linked plans on my RTF64 thread (option 2). The slot is inverted in this particluar design. The Karlson is primarily used for front horn loading dynamic drivers or coaxs/triaxx (in BR or sealed boxes?), but in this case it was utilzed as a vent.

GM's spreadsheet is in the Single Driver Website.

http://gallery.audioasylum.com/cgi/w...g_&w=361&h=480

BTW, I think the person who owns the Supra TQWT (TC made?) now has 206-ESR's in 'em.
Old 1st May 2006, 09:38 PM   #515
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

FYI

www.tommytube.com

with some nice shots of the cabinet and now sporting the new Fostex FE206esr...
Old 1st May 2006, 10:03 PM   #516
diyAudio Member

Don't. The 206ES-R is a painful subject for me.

Fred, thanks for the explanation (and link to drool-inducing cabs). Now, my next quetion is what in the name of perpendicular penguins is a Karlson slot / waveguide design? Can you point me toward any literature that you would recommend explaining the basic theory and principles behind using it for both applications? Sorry to appear so ignorant (& for going off-topic a bit).

Jeff -Jordan BIB cabinets are on their way to you very shortly

Best
Scott
Old 1st May 2006, 10:51 PM   #517
diyAudio Member

>>> Jeff -Jordan BIB cabinets are on their way to you very shortly

Now you're making me drool...

I guess i should add the Jordan logo and even put the Visation back too.

Those karlson cabs are lovely.
Old 2nd May 2006, 01:45 AM   #518
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
I'll bite the bullet and be the guinea pig for the B200 version. With a 350"Sm and 75"H we're talking about some big panels. Is there a recommended bracing scheme yet, or would any bracing have to be on the exterior and end up looking like heat sink fins?
Old 2nd May 2006, 03:00 AM   #519
Corloc is offline Corloc  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johninCR
I'll bite the bullet and be the guinea pig for the B200 version. With a 350"Sm and 75"H we're talking about some big panels. Is there a recommended bracing scheme yet, or would any bracing have to be on the exterior and end up looking like heat sink fins?
Ha!! Cool, It was going to take me a couple of months to get enough cash to try.

I was thinking of useing 1 1/4" dowels at intervals for bracing. Diflex panels behide driver with driver bracing. Stuffing I was going to use accustastuff and or the sill plate insolation.

I haven't drawn hte plans in cad yet, but I hopeing to put the driver on the long side rather thean the narrow.

Chris
Old 2nd May 2006, 03:20 AM   #520
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Quote:
Originally posted by Corloc

Ha!! Cool, It was going to take me a couple of months to get enough cash to try.

I was thinking of useing 1 1/4" dowels at intervals for bracing. Diflex panels behide driver with driver bracing. Stuffing I was going to use accustastuff and or the sill plate insolation.

I haven't drawn hte plans in cad yet, but I hopeing to put the driver on the long side rather thean the narrow.

Chris
I'm not so sure now that the dimensions are sinking in. At 15" wide it would need to be over 27" deep. That's 2 sheets of plywood + for each enclosure. It's interesting, but not that interesting. I think I can get close to the same extension in a much more room friendly size.

Hide this!Advertise here!