Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2013, 02:32 PM   #5181
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

If you made a rectangular steel punch, you could cut those holes real quick, otherwise I am not sure if it is faster than tape to cut all those rectangles by hand with a razor. Does this enable really work on inside of a cabinet? What about surfaces where there is stuffing touching? I think the first triangular section down to the 180 deg turn is full of stuffing.

Last edited by xrk971; 30th January 2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 30th January 2013, 02:43 PM   #5182
diyAudio Member

I'm UNable to believe anyone would spend the time and effort to apply this effect!

Larry
Old 30th January 2013, 02:46 PM   #5183
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I'd think a layer of felt would have much the same effect and be better looking, as well as being much easier to apply.
Old 30th January 2013, 04:05 PM   #5184
diyAudio Member

I think it goes without argument that you can see a measurable difference in the frequency response and waterfall plots with felt lining in a BIB. I am not sure if an Enabled BIB panels will produce a measurable difference. It would be interesting if someone can do a before and after Enable measurement of their BIB.
Old 30th January 2013, 04:50 PM   #5185
B00B00 is offline B00B00  Canada
diyAudio Member

We'll see, the pattern is made, laminated, it will take me a few minutes to cut out the squares with an x-acto, and then if all goes well, not long to apply the plaster with a spatula. The proponents of the enable process have nothing but good things to say about it. I can't see it doing any harm. I won't be doing before and after tests as once glued up, some sections will be impossible to get to. I'll be doing the exterior as well and eventually the FE206EN along with a few other mods.
Old 30th January 2013, 05:11 PM   #5186
diyAudio Member

LOL larryldspkr... I clicked back to see the Enable process was being applied inside the cabinet.
Old 30th January 2013, 05:44 PM   #5187
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00B00 View Post
We'll see, the pattern is made, laminated, it will take me a few minutes to cut out the squares with an x-acto, and then if all goes well, not long to apply the plaster with a spatula. The proponents of the enable process have nothing but good things to say about it. I can't see it doing any harm. I won't be doing before and after tests as once glued up, some sections will be impossible to get to. I'll be doing the exterior as well and eventually the FE206EN along with a few other mods.
So the thickness of the lamination determines the thickness of the applied squares of plaster once the wet plaster is scraped off with a spatula (level with thickness of lamination)? This sounds like it is the so-called "Doctor's Knife" process. So you do not find cutting hundreds of squares with Xacto a tedious process?
Old 30th January 2013, 09:01 PM   #5188
B00B00 is offline B00B00  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yes exactly...
I'm making a paper sheet sized template made out of some thin Bristol board.
And yes a little tedious a bit but much less so than the thousands and thousands of squares I would have to otherwise apply.
It also has the advantage of being straight, easily repeated and reusable... (I don't think I'm on my last BIB or speaker). Once I have the template, application (should) be a breeze.
Whatever the method chosen, precisely measuring out the pattern on the baffle and making sure everything lined up perfectly would be quite an ordeal...
And then when you had another baffle to do, you have to start over.
We are talking of many hours I would think unless someone has come up with a quick and painless way to do so.

I spent about 20min on my lunch hour cutting them out. Did all the vertical cuts, and am presently on the horizontal cuts (about half-way done)
Hopefully, I'll get to try it out tonight.
-andré-
Old 30th January 2013, 09:44 PM   #5189
diyAudio Member

My only thought to speed things up is silk screen printing. You can make a laser printed master in black and white printed on transparency film. Use photosensitive resist on the silk screen to produce the master screen. Then apply with a spatula and silk screen paint. Thickness depends on screen thread thickness. But you can make perfect CAD drawings of the pattern and have near perfect repeatability.
Old 30th January 2013, 11:54 PM   #5190
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryldspkr View Post
I'm UNable to believe anyone would spend the time and effort to apply this effect!
+1.

Hide this!Advertise here!