Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 508 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2012, 03:45 AM   #5071
diyAudio Member

Can't watch on my iPad
Old 27th September 2012, 04:59 AM   #5072
diyAudio Member

Yes, this is my B&C 10PS26.
I like the lowish Qms of the B&C driver. It makes it much easier to drive them from a high impedance source without having to "fight" the usual very peaky bass-resonace that higher-Qms-drivers have.

Ipads doesnt do flash?! I have no problem seeing it on my Samsung Galaxy smartphone or my Ubuntu-laptop.

Johannes.
Old 5th October 2012, 07:03 PM   #5073
Vix is offline Vix  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlomanen View Post
Yes, this is my B&C 10PS26.

Johannes.
I liked it. Sounds quite nice, even through crappy camera mic. Do you like them enough for a keeper? It looks like a sort of F.A.S.T. concept, bass in BIB and the smallish fullrange doing the top. On another thread there was an idea to build a Frugal horn 3 with some bass helpers. When I saw your video, I though it could be a good combination...
Old 16th December 2012, 04:25 PM   #5074
jhutka is offline jhutka  United States
diyAudio Member

Default What characteristics make a driver successful in a BIB?

With beginner's luck, I made some BIB's with 2" TBs for my computer. They sound great! So, in my naivete and armed with the BIB calculator, I started trying the design with others and was really disappointed. Still keeping things in a small scale, I have some surplus Vifa 3" drivers (TC9FD18-08) that I want to use.
Fs = 125 Hz
Vas = 1.241L
Qts = .89

The main difference with the successes and the failures is that the Qts on the failures was higher .

Is there other data that I'm missing that would render the design and the calculator ineffective?
Old 16th December 2012, 04:37 PM   #5075
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutka View Post
With beginner's luck, I made some BIB's with 2" TBs for my computer. They sound great! So, in my naivete and armed with the BIB calculator, I started trying the design with others and was really disappointed. Still keeping things in a small scale, I have some surplus Vifa 3" drivers (TC9FD18-08) that I want to use.
Fs = 125 Hz
Vas = 1.241L
Qts = .89

The main difference with the successes and the failures is that the Qts on the failures was higher .

Is there other data that I'm missing that would render the design and the calculator ineffective?
Problems I had with BiB and the 8 inch driver I'm playing with now, was the volume of the enclosure was always way to big for it, so it was full of holes. Messing around with hornresp to give a volume that gave a reasonable response ended up in the enclosure being too narrow/shallow to fit the mounting depth of the driver without a throat adapter set up. So perhaps it favours drivers that like nice big enclosures?
Old 16th December 2012, 06:24 PM   #5076
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutka View Post

Did you build all these, or just run sims? If built, where in room were they located? Remember, these are designed for some empirically arrived at internal damping, corner loading and at least ~75% of ceiling height in folded length, so the further away from the ideal, the more dips in the response and rolled off the bass.

As a general rule though, a higher Qts up to around 1.0 is desirable if it doesn't make the cab too large for the available space. FWIW, all the corner pipe horns [not BIBs per se] I did had high Qts drivers all the way up to a whopping ~2.45 Qts. Above about a 1.4 Qts, the pipe horn is a good choice to acoustically damp it down.

Nothing other than maybe increasing Qts on very low Qts drivers, then adding a bit of EQ to 'fill it up' or designing to a lower Fs to make it tall enough or in the case of low Fs drivers, increasing Fs to limit it to two folds.

GM

Last edited by GM; 16th December 2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 16th December 2012, 07:17 PM   #5077
diyAudio Member

Thanks GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Did you build all these, or just run sims? If built, where in room were they located? Remember, these are designed for some empirically arrived at internal damping, corner loading and at least ~75% of ceiling height in folded length, so the further away from the ideal, the more dips in the response and rolled off the bass.
GM
I do not have the software or the know-how to run sims. If I understand what you are saying, I should chuck the idea of a scaled down BIB. Especially if the ceiling height is an integral part of the overall design.

However, I just measured and the ceiling is close to the right height with the speakers sitting up on the computer table. Hmmmm.

JHutka
Old 16th December 2012, 08:41 PM   #5078
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

You’re welcome!

Scaled down BIBs are normally inverted, firing at the floor, but if it doesn't put the driver too high, then as you learned, spacing them up is an option.

GM
Old 16th December 2012, 10:32 PM   #5079
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Just straighten them out. That's been done before many times with success.
Old 19th December 2012, 11:39 PM   #5080
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
You’re welcome!

Scaled down BIBs are normally inverted, firing at the floor, but if it doesn't put the driver too high, then as you learned, spacing them up is an option.

GM
I didn't think of them as down firing. Great idea! 2" to 3" enough rise off of the surface?

jhutka

Hide this!Advertise here!