Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 503 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2012, 02:46 PM   #5021
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Unless the new amp is enough more powerful than the SET and/or there's some really low LF such as TT 'rumble' to push the driver to the point of 'stretching' its spider [obvious high excursion] and/or 'stutter' bounce the VC off the back plate due to a BIB typically being tuned well below Fs, then it could be the amp's wiring and/or its electronics going non-linear.

Agreed, long term, the drivers will probably need re-coning/replacing if allowed to continue making this noise and may already need to be if due to excessive excursion, so check the driver's physical construction, i.e. glue joints and/or are any of the VC tinsel leads slapping/vibrating against the cone at high excursion, etc..

GM
Old 10th July 2012, 03:27 PM   #5022
diyAudio Member

Default amp non linear?

Thanks for the response.

Checked drivers and they seem all fine. They do still sound very clean the vast majority of the time. The better the front end gets the better these speakers become. I do love them.

When you say the electronics becoming non linear are you talking about maybe too much resistance created by say speaker cables, causing things go DC?

Im happy to build kits but as you can tell, Im no modder. My technical understanding is very limited but my appreciation of systems and what I like in music is well honed!
Old 10th July 2012, 09:42 PM   #5023
diyAudio Member

You're welcome!

Didn't know high resistance could cause an amp to output DC. I meant frequency response changes at higher power, clipping, etc..

GM
Old 10th July 2012, 10:00 PM   #5024
diyAudio Member

GM, just illustrates that I don't know what the funk I'm talking about. I remember reading somewhere that chip amps are particularly susceptible to being upset by some cables, specifically ribbon type cables. I think I made the (obviously tosh) conclusion it was to do with resistance.

Oddly enough, I get more of the noise when playing digi files from my mac than when using the CDP as source. I'm really confused now.
Old 11th July 2012, 04:49 AM   #5025
diyAudio Member

High capacitance can cause SS amps to oscillate in the HF ['ring'], so this may be what you're hearing. Using twisted pairs of the appropriate gauge low capacitance solid core wire should help.

GM
Old 11th July 2012, 11:29 AM   #5026
Vix is offline Vix  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

Hi,

While searching this thread I found out that Lousymusician has built a BiB with CSS125fr and was quite happy. I am more and more inclined to go this route unless someone convinces me that there's a better way...
By the way, I couldn't quite figure out what dimensions have been used, can someone help me with that?

Thanks and Regards
Vix
Old 11th July 2012, 01:58 PM   #5027
diyAudio Member

I think I just found the calculator...
Old 11th July 2012, 09:43 PM   #5028
diyAudio Member

Thanks GM. Not sure what it is I'm hearing. If it gets common or causes an issue I'll post a question to Peter Daniels, he designed the amp and knows them more than anybody.

Was thinking about building some Big Bens over the summer. Anyone done this using 168eZ to your knowledge?
Old 12th July 2012, 08:00 AM   #5029
diyAudio Member

Hi

Could anyone please check and confirm, are those dims correct?

Thanks,

Vix
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bib-CSS125.jpg (132.5 KB, 294 views)
Old 12th July 2012, 03:03 PM   #5030
diyAudio Member

That's not too big a BIB IMO. I only looked at the overall dims you have there but did not check your calculations. Similar in size to what i have for the Fostex 127e... I'll bet your correct enough. I find the BIBs could be relatively generic for a large variety of drivers.

Enjoy and post your results... once you have confirmation your measurements are correct.

Zilla

Hide this!Advertise here!