Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 491 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2011, 07:12 PM   #4901
diyAudio Member

Kids were there when she was served. Bad morning for sure. I got a call from my 13 year old son so came home to talk with him. What i found was wife and my two boys in bed crying and her cousin with her husband there to tell me how selfish i am... family wrecker and to reverse the divorce by calling lawyer. I did not make that call.

But i did leave with TB 1808's, Fostex 168s, Fostex 127e, Radio Shack 1354 (new in boxes and never used), Radio Shack Pod Super Tweeters and a couple of Vifa buyout drivers of various sizes... the modified Eminence 12lta and Alpha 15 H-frames are still in the house connected to Cary tube gear, TB Bamboo's and Fostex 165k in BIBs too... I hope to get them but not sure where to put it all since it won't fit into the trunk of my car.

These next few weeks i am sure i'll be talking to my boys and trying to soothe their souls.
Old 30th July 2011, 05:52 AM   #4902
Bluto is offline Bluto  United States
diyAudio Member

Divorce sucks-Kids make it a forever suck. Sorry to hear so Godzilla.
Old 30th July 2011, 07:15 PM   #4903
Vix is offline Vix  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

Sorry to hear that Godzilla.
Old 31st July 2011, 02:30 PM   #4904
diyAudio Member

Moved my OBs to parents house and setup BIBs in basement again (165k plus super tweeter on back). Not at all disappointed. Sound was full and rich. Maybe it sounded a bit smaller but it had all the back horn qualities like jump factor in spades. Compared to the Beta 12lta the Fostex 165k sounds more sibilant but after a few songs i didn't notice it anymore.
Old 7th August 2011, 10:35 PM   #4905
diyAudio Member

Dayton 5" full ranger in BIBs is a great speaker to rock out with. It plays bass for sure and sounds full and rich. The problem is they are rough thru the mids... NOT a smooth sounding speaker but certainly listenable and CHEAP to build. No tweeter needed. Listening to Ziggy Marley and the room is full of dynamic, detailed, full, rich sound. I could not make this driver sound any better! I have them hooked up to a Dayton T-amp and a MacBook Pro.

The Fostex 165k in it's larger BIB sounds sweeter and more detailed but not much fuller. Overall it does sound better but it costs a lot more... and the BIBs are much larger and heavier.

OT, playing my Mac Book thru my Cary tubes produces a very audible hiss... thru the T-amp there's silence. Is there any way to eliminate the hiss with the tubes?

Zilla
Old 19th August 2011, 07:50 PM   #4906
diyAudio Member

Wow. What a Wonderful match. And the SPL, very loud!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 19th August 2011, 10:47 PM   #4907
diyAudio Member

Yup, the Fostex 165k is great in BIBs (i have a pair too!). Mines currently connected to the Dayton T-amp for $99. Great match!
Old 29th August 2011, 04:24 PM   #4908
diyAudio Member

What is the height for the horn-tweeter on the backside?
Old 29th August 2011, 04:36 PM   #4909
diyAudio Member

>>> What is the height for the horn-tweeter on the backside?

Not sure the exact measurement but it's slightly above the main driver... imagine it just above the main driver only on the back.

The storm, Irene, kept me from enjoying some music this weekend... still no power at the house!
Old 30th August 2011, 06:44 PM   #4910
diyAudio Member

Thanks. This is how it is in my cave now:

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=uGHRfMdsohc

Hide this!Advertise here!