Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 468 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2010, 07:46 AM   #4671
diyAudio Member

horray!
Old 6th October 2010, 02:05 PM   #4672
diyAudio Member

A new BIB build will keep the thread fresh. Years ago, the effort was and is consciously made to keep it going as a tribute to one of the great innovators in single driver design.

Oh, and congratulations. ;-)
Old 6th October 2010, 03:18 PM   #4673
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Probably one of the easiest cabs to build that still provides some serious single driver sound.. Load them into or near room corners, get the stuffing or lack thereof right, just enjoy

I used to think an OB was easier to build, but you have to mess with x-overs and such, plus they are placement finicky... BIB is quick easy unfiltered sound, though not as refined as some more in depth designs from P10, Scott and others etc.. Still pretty decent sound for the effort involved in building a pair

If you're not gifted with fine woodworking skills heck these are the ticket.. Basically an open ended box with a divider inside, pretty simple... Even I pulled it off lol

Last edited by DaveCan; 6th October 2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 6th October 2010, 03:58 PM   #4674
diyAudio Member

My BIBs have been in experimentation since the thread started. There's things to play with like the pennant and suprabaffle to jazz it up.
Old 9th October 2010, 02:44 PM   #4675
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yes some good in room tweaking with baffles, stuffing and such, and they can sound really nice.. I have mine imaging just amazing this last while in my room... It's pretty awesome when it all comes together and each performer is right in front of you exactly where they should be, although invisible
Old 10th October 2010, 01:29 AM   #4676
diyAudio Member

BIBs do produce a very large image. It's amazing when the singer is dead center and the music is so wide and high all around.
Old 10th October 2010, 03:20 AM   #4677
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Pit Hinder
Well, that´s the silver lining on the cloud of BIBs having a very low WAF. They "beam" more, so they don´t smear the singer all over the place.
Old 10th October 2010, 07:44 AM   #4678
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
BIBs do produce a very large image. It's amazing when the singer is dead center and the music is so wide and high all around.
Just spent $5 and a couple of hours on bodging together a pair of styrofoam BIBs. It looks like crap and theres a noticable styrofoam resonance in the upper bass but apart from that – its sumptious. The bass is astonishiningly musical. Everything just has a proper place with bass played correctly.

Im playing through my iMac + a Lepai T-amp with crap cabling and Im amazed. By golly.
Old 12th November 2010, 08:12 AM   #4679
diyAudio Member

Default Are my ideas for my planned BIB build crazy?

Hi all. Good to be back here! Good to see this thread is going strong as ever!
I haven't kept up with any developments so please excuse me if any of the
following has been covered! (I will attempt to read through the thread from about a year and a half ago!)

I have a pair of brand new pair fostex fe164 that I want to build BIBs for. There are a few ideas I have that I would like your comments on:

Firstly, and this is the big one, I was thinking of placing the driver at 0.416(smoother response) of line length, as proposed for floor firing BIB, BUT keeping them upright and lifting them off ground with legs(which will be about 10cm wide each and will extend up the cab, flush with baffle and past the driver to effectively widen the baffle- as wings or suprabaffles do)
This brings the driver to ear level, and brings the mouth closer to ceiling for better loading and bass reinforcement. I can't help thinking that this is a great idea! Am I crazy? Am I alone here?

Secondly, I was thinking of using deflex panels behind the drivers. They should do a great job of absorbing/dispersing the rear-firing waves and avoiding the reflected waves coming back out through the driver cone/surround. This in combination with the proposed stuffing.

Would like to hear your thoughts so I can eventually start building! Thanks
Old 12th November 2010, 10:51 AM   #4680
diyAudio Member

Default diagram of the above proposed BIB

A picture is worth a thousand words! Rocket BIB ?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diagram.jpg (62.6 KB, 227 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!