Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 466 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2010, 12:20 AM   #4651
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
...in recent years I auditioned a semi-affordable system that's enough of a step up overall that I've got the 'hots' to DIY a 21st century system before I'm too old to do it.
Hi GM,

OT but I'm dying to know what you would build. At least give us a hint! (I'd be curious about the semi-affordable system you liked, too...)
Old 12th March 2010, 12:51 AM   #4652
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Same as I've been periodically been mentioning for awhile now, a large Unity three way concept coupled to either tapped TQWTs or tapped horns down around/at 80 Hz with extension to ~10 Hz. Not sure which yet, I'll have to try both to see which works best in whatever room I use since their acoustic efficiency and time delay is so different.

Until I can get my property and me fixed up and in order and assuming it left me any disposable income, only then can I begin.

If I were to buy it, I'm guessing it would be in the $7-8 k range, which in today's inflated $$ is on a par with a 1939 Sears Silvertone Console (re-badged RCA). The only difference today is that back then folks could buy a brand new Buick for slightly less! What new car can you buy today for $7-8 k?

GM
Old 12th March 2010, 02:11 AM   #4653
diyAudio Member

GM, that is just mind-blowing! I can only visualize it as the old Memorex ad, where the speakers are blowing away everything in their path (the lamp, the guy in the arm chair...)
Old 12th March 2010, 03:32 AM   #4654
diyAudio Member

Well, the DSL Synergy SH-50 has enough efficiency/power handling to come close and several ~small TH's that combine to output two DTS-10 THs would have so much dynamic headroom that the system would mostly idle except on some classical and pipe organ symphonies and meet DD/DTS/THX reference with ~35 W, ergo distortion should be below the room's noise floor.

GM

Last edited by GM; 12th March 2010 at 03:35 AM.
Old 12th March 2010, 07:24 AM   #4655
diyAudio Member

GM - sounds mind blowing!

I am currently working on a gainclone (Audio Sector LM3875) and Peter's premium NOS DAC built into the same chassis. I want to see what computer audio has to offer but it will also test to see if it's my SET that is clipping.

I've got to finish the chassis and burn it in yet so no immediate answers.
Old 12th March 2010, 04:20 PM   #4656
diyAudio Member

Trust me, unless your SET amp has a VERY 'stiff' power supply (high power voltage rails) to handle the high amplitude ('fast') transients in the ~250-500 Hz BW, it's clipping big time, ditto the speaker due to minimal Xmax. It may sound wonderful on most source material, but harmonic distortion is still distortion even if it's euphonic.

Again, it boils down to how 'fat'/'accurate' you want it to sound, so at the personal level there is no right/wrong answer and considering how most mass marketed CDs are mastered for B0$3/mp3/whatever type systems, there's much to be said for creating a 'fat' reproduction system that 'fills in' as much of its zeros as practical with the trade-off being it's too way too 'fat' on well recorded/hi-def material, at least for some of us anyway.

I'm so disgusted with the quality of CDs overall that about the only ~current music I listen to anymore is on movie soundtracks through a pair of highly digitally enhanced, incredibly cheap, high Fs, Qt, 6.5" whizzer 'FR' drivers with capped off 1" clock radio 'FR' drivers that's positioned many WLs away from the mains with this sound system mounted down at the lower left, right front corners on axis with our lower legs.

With its digital signal processor by-passed, it's completely unlistenable, sounding even worse than my description implies even after a doing the $0.98 tweak and sitting on the floor to be closer to its main axis. With whatever the now technically ancient Toshiba H65HX81 uses for signal processing though, with the exception of the Babb Loreleis it transforms them into a better performing system overall than the best ear axis 'FR' driver systems I've ever auditioned with wider BW, sound-staging and dynamic headroom to boot.

I've no doubt that BIB loaded 'FR' drivers probably can outperform them down really low where the processor is obviously trying to protect the drivers against excessive excursion, but by the same token the BIB isn't limiting it with its harmonic distortion to the same degree, i.e. how well it can handle U-571's LFE channel's depth charge explosions or similar.

Clearly, DSP is the future of sound reproduction, so 99.9999% of what we discuss/debate/argue over now will be moot as soon as DIYers embrace it and manufacturers can somehow offer us a much less expensive Lorelei concept.

GM
Old 12th March 2010, 05:34 PM   #4657
diyAudio Member

Amen. - Not really sure how to follow that GM so I won't! Who's Babb Loreleis anyway

I do a lot of my own recording (natural ambience and nature recording rather than studio work) and have 24/96 native files that I want to put through the NOS DAC and see how they sound.
I am also interested in the future of hifi being not limited to CD as a medium, so this is step in that direction for me.

I have got some CDs that sound stunning. Really enjoyable stuff from the MA recording label and a few from ECM. We are talking intimate jazz (or world music) recorded in church ambience or local clubs where the room is an important part of the reproduction. If I listen to this material all night so that my ears are accustomed to it and then play a regular CD at the end of the evening I cannot believe where the hifi has gone. The pleasure is totally missing.

So for me it is not that I don't like all commercial CDs but it is all about choosing horses for courses.
Hey in the car I listen to MP3s and don't give a dam about soundstage.

Last edited by Martin Prothero; 12th March 2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: do I need a reason?
Old 13th March 2010, 01:54 AM   #4658
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Prothero View Post
Who's Babb Loreleis anyway
Hmm, I didn't phrase that too well. I was referring to the late Babb Lorelei single driver that's the only truly full-range single driver I'm aware of.

Yeah, I much prefer live recordings with their ambiance even if they lack some of a studio recording's clarity, detail from individual close miking. I have some '50s jazz recordings done in nightclubs during what sounds like a slow time patron wise that while somewhat lacking in SQ due to being done with what sounds like a single mic and tape recorder, they are more HIFI to me.

Yeah, I mostly listen to AM talk radio shows and to 'chill me out' when in one of Atlanta's moving traffic jams, the fastest copied CDs I can make, so high SQ, etc. isn't a priority.

GM
Old 27th May 2010, 05:01 PM   #4659
croat47 is offline croat47  United States
diyAudio Member

Default iBIB Exit Question

rough cuts made for an inverted BIB using the HiVi B3S (small living room). When you get the driver height up to a good level, there is about 3.5" of extension to the mouth. In considering how to deal with the exit, which of the two approaches here would be best?

The left is just a radius and the right is the same radius, but split a la Karlson (understanding that a Karlson is not a simple radius). I prefer the left aesthetically, but if the right is beneficial sonically, so be it.

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iBIB B3S Exit.JPG (13.3 KB, 352 views)

Last edited by croat47; 27th May 2010 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 27th May 2010, 05:34 PM   #4660
Svein_B is offline Svein_B  Norway
diyAudio Member

At the frequencies where the pipe is active, it is very unlikely that there will be any difference, provided that the opening against the floor is large enough - at least equivalent to mouth area.

Svein.

Hide this!Advertise here!