Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 460 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2009, 02:00 AM   #4591
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantstairs View Post
or how about a floorstander at 48" (no fold) spaced up a few inches off the floor, against a wall?
Works for me! Let a sub handle the bottom 2, 3 octaves.

GM
Old 28th August 2009, 12:21 PM   #4592
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Trooper46
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS View Post
You forget BIB is "Bigger Is Better". How can a normal desktop space accommodate that properly?
my desk is roughly 3x8ft. plus the little foot print of the FE87E bib would allow me to place them almost anywhere on my desk. maybe ill just have to drive over to madisound and pick up a pair just to mess around with. i have an idea of making the boxes out of pine ply or osb and wrapping them in fabric then coating them with epoxy or something. they did this on the original gem guitars and they look absolutly amazing.
Old 28th August 2009, 02:48 PM   #4593
diyAudio Member

not sure how much difference it will make but you could try a downward firing version with zdriver approx 20" up and adjust the bass by spacing it from the wall. either way just go for it, looks like a quick, low cost project with lots of upside. the finish sounds interesting -- any links to pictures?
Old 28th August 2009, 03:44 PM   #4594
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Trooper46
[img]members.tripod.com/gtrkev/guitars/JEM-BODY.JPG[/img]

i have heard rumors that the floral pattern fabric matched the drapes in steve vais house.
Old 28th August 2009, 04:52 PM   #4595
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper46 View Post
[img]members.tripod.com/gtrkev/guitars/JEM-BODY.JPG[/img]

i have heard rumors that the floral pattern fabric matched the drapes in steve vais house.
This business of not being able to see some attachments without researching them is getting old quick! http://gtrkev.tripod.com/guitars/JEM-BODY.JPG

Regardless, yes, a lot of the speakers I did for others was during the '70s decoupage 'craze', so all manner of materials coverings/coating was tried and yes, if epoxy is used, then a viable way to stiffen up a cab, audibly improving the then existing 'junk' speakers that were made of low density particleboard (PB) held together with cheap, thin, vinyl coverings.

GM
Old 1st October 2009, 05:04 AM   #4596
sedge1 is offline sedge1  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

RE Ripple...

If ripple is caused by the roof reflecting back into the horn has anyone tried fitting a corner wedge to combat this ?

What effect would that have ? Just curious, if you've got a set of these then you probably don't suffer from WAF anyway.

I'm just finishing up a new pair.

Sedge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ripple.JPG (7.7 KB, 356 views)
Old 1st October 2009, 01:05 PM   #4597
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Pit Hinder
sedge - wavelengths. Good idea, but the wavelengths involved wonīt even notice that size of deflector.
Having the perfect room would mean having a perfect bank account...
Old 1st October 2009, 01:11 PM   #4598
diyAudio Member

Has anyone made a side mounted BIB lately? I was wondering what the difference would be having the speaker on the long side. Drawings for this were around ages ago along with iBIBk and others.
Old 1st October 2009, 04:19 PM   #4599
diyAudio Member

Less potentially audible 'ripple' from baffle step losses due to a shorter path-length from the driver to walls and a good argument for a high aspect ratio BIB IMO.

GM
Old 1st October 2009, 04:53 PM   #4600
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Pit Hinder
So - a sidefiring BIB as close to ceiling height as feasible? You canīt camouflage BIBs as PC screamcubes anyway, so who not take all you can get.

Hide this!Advertise here!