Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 457 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2009, 02:20 AM   #4561
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Samuel Jayaraj
Is there a curved profile I can follow for the horn mouth which might look better and not compromise on sonics?
No.

dave
Old 15th July 2009, 05:45 AM   #4562
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave. And over at the Ceinwyn thread Scott says that these cabs are not designed for high bass output. They cut off at 60Hz.

He also confirmed that a TH or TL type of sub would be suitable, sonically speaking.

The problem is that it partially defeats the elegance of simplicity; phase and sonic signature problems would arise.

Hence, I am for the time being dropping the idea of building a Ceinwyn and will try to simulate in HornResp a suitable MLTQWT for the Fostex168EZ drivers.

Dave and Scott, I really appreciate your benevolent contributions here. Thanks.
Old 15th July 2009, 09:47 AM   #4563
diyAudio Member

You're effectively trying to get a quart out of a pint-pot. The 168 is not a driver that is particularly good at producing frequencies below ~60Hz, short of being employed in a lengthy horn & it's not particularly at home in low-tuned mass loaded conical horns (ML TQWT) or straight mass loaded QWRs (MLTLs) unless a wad of Eq is employed. If you can't use a long horn (BIB, or something else -for e.g., they should do OK in Hiro down to the mid 40s, & people have employed them in a tweaked version of Ron's A166 which should be good for the same), which is what it's really been designed for, then you're probably going to be better off with a different driver.
Old 22nd July 2009, 09:10 PM   #4564
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
You're effectively trying to get a quart out of a pint-pot. 168 is not ... good at producing frequencies below ~60Hz, short of being employed in a lengthy horn ... they should do OK in Hiro down to the mid 40s
scott, you previously went over the above with me re: 166es-r and it helped me understand more of the concept. i finally have 4x8 void free plywood and can consider a Hiro. i'd like to know if the plans could or should be modified to better suite the 166es-r, i.e. any changes to the compression chamber, etc., etc.? measurements and specs can be found at zaphaudio dot com. thank in advance.
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:44 AM   #4565
croat47 is offline croat47  United States
diyAudio Member

I know it's here somewhere, so if the post is in someone's head...

1) Where does the cabinet's effect kick in? Fs, some factor of Fs...

2) Is anywhere between the 0.2*L (standard BIB) and 0.4*L (iBIB) acceptable for Z-Driver. If not what margin are you allowed at the 0.4 end of things?

Thanks!
Old 23rd July 2009, 06:52 PM   #4566
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

It's normally tuned an octave below Fs to get loading to Fs.

Don't know, I haven't taken the time to research it using MJK's advanced software that takes into account some of the room's effect on driver placement, but you could by becoming a licensed user.

GM
Old 23rd July 2009, 09:43 PM   #4567
croat47 is offline croat47  United States
diyAudio Member

Which are now available again.
Old 29th July 2009, 08:42 AM   #4568
leeoh is offline leeoh  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default g chang v. sachiko

To get off topic somewhat, can someone tell me the difference between listening to a G Chang with Fostex 207E and the Sachiko with a 206E ? I built the G Changs several months ago and am very happy indeed with them . (Thanks Scottmoose and Dave. You are a pair of remarkably bright lads. ) Most builders seem to have gone for the Sachiko. Am I missing something? Have they seen something that I have missed? I listen mostly to jazz but my owner prefers classical. I prefer them to my Jordans, but then they are in very different rooms, so maybe that is not a fair comparison. Where did the double mouth design originate? Ieeoh
Old 29th July 2009, 12:13 PM   #4569
diyAudio Member

The double mouth configuration is a variation of ideas that stretch back at least as far as the 1930s. In recent times it was the late Terry Cain who brought this particular layout to wider attention in hi-fi circles (the pro-audio scene has been using W bins for decades of course).

I'm not sure if most builders have gone for Sachiko over the other cabinet or not -we've no way of knowing how many are out there. They offer different things. Sachiko has more gain and dynamic headroom; the Chang box provides a slightly smoother response and an easier build, while still offering a good sense of scale & decent control over the driver.

You prefer them to your Jordans? That's a result.
Old 2nd August 2009, 07:03 AM   #4570
leeoh is offline leeoh  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Jordan VTL transmission lines V. G Chang

Scottmoose. Thanks for your reply re the origin of the G Chang enclosure. As I had mentioned that I find the G Changs with Fostex 207e more enjoyable to listen to than the Jordan in the VTL transmission line enclosures, I thought that I should make an effort to compare like with like, at least as far as the surroundings go. I transferred my Jordan enclosures to the room in which I have the G Cs which is about 6.5m. square with concrete floors covered with carpet, building board walls and ceiling which is 2.4m. high. Not much soft furniture. There is just no contest between the two. The G Changs have greater clarity, musicality, accuracy of reproduction, clean realistic bass. The Jordans are OK and if I hadn't also built the G.Cs. I would probably have loved them.
I built the Jordan VTL transmission line enclosures exactly to the dimensions given on their site, but used MDF as I didn't then know that some of you think it is not a good material. What difference good ply would have made, I know not. For the G Changs I used two layers of 12mm particle board glued face to face and made allowance for the additional thickness to keep the original interior dimensions. I don't know all the audio type language that you audiophiles use but I really enjoy the G Changs. They seem to me to sound just as the original instruments would have sounded. I have Ray Brown playing now in the background. The really spectacular track that I often sit and listen to is on the "Montreux Alexander" CD. Track 4 "Worksong".
Don't know how you do it, Scottmoose and Dave. Is it the Yorkshire pudding and gravy?

Hide this!Advertise here!