Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 43 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2006, 08:45 PM   #421
diyAudio Member

Default p-16.

sooo frustrating... anyone else have experience with them here?
Old 24th April 2006, 09:01 PM   #422
fred76 is offline fred76  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Hi GM,

Sorry 'bout that. I must have skimmed it over from the previous pages. Thanks for splainin though.

regards,
fred
Old 24th April 2006, 10:51 PM   #423
diyAudio Member

Default Re: p-16.

Quote:
Originally posted by blumenco
sooo frustrating... anyone else have experience with them here?

Interesting question. Probably because they're intended for the average trunkated, and heavily folded back-horn, and the BIB has a much smoother path-length. That's just a guess though.
Old 24th April 2006, 11:07 PM   #424
diyAudio Member

I am struggeling with the selection of a driver for my BIB project. I have read the complete thread twice but did not note an optimal selection. My only restriction is an Sm=100in^2 or less to contain the footprint. My ceilings are 10'. Can anyone help?
Old 24th April 2006, 11:20 PM   #425
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Some thoughts about the monoliths and why BIB sounds good.
Could it be that the back sloping panel, in the original BIB, is the key? No or less reflection from backside, than most traditional speakers. In that case, the monolith could be worse sounding than BIB with back sloping panel. Coming from a newbie but makes sense. What are others opinon? In this case, these two versions must be built and compared.
BTW, my Monacors SPH60X have been almost finished. Assembled and lacquered this wekeend. Some soldering needed, then "completed"!?

Best Peter
Old 24th April 2006, 11:50 PM   #426
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

There is no 'optimum' per se WRT the BIB horn other than the driver choice, so the better the driver, the closer to 'optimum'. If you want one to go high enough to use your ceiling, then the driver needs to have a low Fs. No FR driver comes to mind with a low enough Fs, so what's your second choice?

GM
Old 24th April 2006, 11:55 PM   #427
diyAudio Member

Greets!

In one, you need a little damping behind and one side of the driver and on the other, one or both sides, so IMO it's 'Six of one, half a dozen of another'.

GM
Old 25th April 2006, 01:15 AM   #428
diyAudio Member

GM:
Thank you for your reply.

1. Please identify the best, second best, and third best drivers that have been modeled on the new BIB web site. I have no experience selecting drivers and can only judge based on price which is not a reliable criteria.

2. Are you implying that the BIB design is not suitable for rooms with 10' ceilings or that it will underperform in them?

3. Regarding my second choice, previously I had selected the ML TL you designed as built by Jim Griffin. Then I found this thread and became infected with its enthusiasm.

Confused,

Ray
Old 25th April 2006, 02:05 AM   #429
diyAudio Member

Pick a driver, any driver…

Not many have been built that I am aware of. Certainly not enough to note which works best.

If what GM says holds true: “There is no 'optimum' per se WRT the BIB horn other than the driver choice, so the better the driver, the closer to 'optimum'.” … then all we can do is buy the best driver we can afford and build.

As for your 10’ ceilings… well, at this time there’s just not enough info – that I am aware of. My office ceilings are between 10 and 12 feet high. I may build a BIB over 60” (Fostex 168) and hope for the best. At home I have chosen a smaller BIB (8’ ceilings) and will use the TB Bamboooooo…

If you’re looking for the Holy Grail… read the DaVinci Code. For now, I like my speakers flavored by the sound of Fostex… but if those Lowther’s sim well, I may start saving my pennies by cutting out the bagel every other morning.

Godzilla
www.zillaspeak.com/bib.asp
Old 25th April 2006, 02:33 AM   #430
diyAudio Member

Greets!

You're welcome!

1. No can do for a variety of reasons, though if you can afford them, buy Lowther DX4 or one of its even more expensive 'clones' and we'll figure something out cab-wise.

2. I'm saying a folded BIB has to be very long to load a 10 ft high ceiling and this requires a low Fs driver, so yes, a standard length BIB will underperform.

3. Whole different design concept and no doubt very good for what it is (I haven't auditioned them), but its lack of efficiency/low power handling makes it a non-starter compared to a high efficiency (HE) BIB or other high gain design IMO, so as always YMMV.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!