Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th July 2008, 08:50 PM   #4161
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by loninappleton
Gene Hunt!

I just found the program on torrents and hope that the dvd set
is released in NTSC format. I tell everyone about Life On Mars.
But it's not available in US.
OT -don't forget the sequal, Ashes to Ashes, set in the early 1980s. No Sam Tyler, but Gene is still there, with a selection of the most gloriously un-PC remarks, such as (if you will forgive the quote): "Today, my friend, your diary entry will read: took a prozzie hostage and was shot by three armed b@$#@%ds." Yep, the Gene Genie is back. Series Two is currently being filmed.
Old 8th July 2008, 09:05 PM   #4162
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose

OT -don't forget the sequal, Ashes to Ashes, set in the early 1980s. No Sam Tyler, but Gene is still there, with a selection of the most gloriously un-PC remarks, such as (if you will forgive the quote): "Today, my friend, your diary entry will read: took a prozzie hostage and was shot by three armed b@$#@%ds." Yep, the Gene Genie is back. Series Two is currently being filmed.
We can take this into mail if you like. I'm a big fan of both series.

Life On Mars was touted to go into an American version. That's the only way I found out about it: www.sci-fi.com

You have to really get your mind into the show to get all the
subtleties. What I was stuck on while watching Ashes To Ashes
(again on torrents) was the bar setting. It's way unlike Hunt to hang out in an Italian restaurant. That's part of _her_ fantasy.

You can mail me if you want to talk about this. Since mail is sort of flakey when digested by DIY audio it's here:

lon@athenet.net

When a US dvd release is out, I want my library to get it. I'm very much behind this show.

Now back to BIB's.

I have still to set up my slightly unmatched BIB pair. There may indeed be a weakness in my audio source which gives the BIB at lower volume on broadcast but picks up on streams. the newly build one had to go back on the operating table for a few refinements. I have a removable bottom for restringing wire and whatnot so how does a tightly secured bottom plate on the build effect anything?

I am putzing around making a test box for a new MLTL for a Tangband 5.5 in.
Old 10th July 2008, 12:09 AM   #4163
diyAudio Member

Default Inverted BiB Bipole - Spaced Drivers

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
Wide baffle bipolar floor loaded folded pipe horn....... my kind of efficient, simple to build DIY speaker!
Hi folks, GM said that in post #2997 (page 120) in response to dmason's proposal to build a bipolar inverted BiB with the drivers mounted back-to-back on the wide side.

If one were to mount the drivers in two different places along the line (rather than back-to-back), is there a rule of thumb as to what the two optimal places would be? Or does one simply try to place both drivers so that the line "sees" an average of .434 * line length? Or is there any other rule of thumb to apply here which gets an advantage in terms of the mid-bass dip, ripple or anything else?

(I realize that Vb doubles, and that width / depth should be in the ratio of 1:1.414 or so while line length remains the same. Secondary driver would be rolled off allowing some placement options.)

The drivers are FE166E's, if that has any bearing.

(I realize these boxes would be impractical large for home, but I work at a college and these would fit in an existing space that already has very bulky speakers.)

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

Edit: If you want to view post #2997: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...72#post1193972
Old 10th July 2008, 01:36 AM   #4164
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Depends. If both are used full BW, then there's none other than choosing the least problematic offset AFAIK, but if you're rolling one off, then you can adjust it to negate the third harmonic dip somewhat. This is a waste of two FE166Es IMO since you can use some cheap woofers on the back to do this.

How did you arrive at the 0.434*L?

GM
Old 10th July 2008, 02:27 AM   #4165
diyAudio Member

Howdy GM, it's mentioned in a few other posts in this thread -- .217 for regular BiB, .434 for inverted. But I see now in post #2161 that you say:

Quote:
"Just thinking - with 0.434 being 'optimum'........."
Oh really?! From experience I've found it to be a 'floating' point as a function of line length, CSA and taper ratio and apparently MJK agrees up to a point, just look at his Classic TL selection chart.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...98#post1102698

I wish I had seen that -- newb error to be overly literal. I will definitely consult MJK's Classic TL alignment tables. Thank you -- I appreciate it!
Old 10th July 2008, 03:46 AM   #4166
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Hmm, I'd forgotten about that post. My BIB calculator has it at 0.416 which I thought was MJK's official best compromise driver position. Regardless, I was just making the point that there's no fixed 'best' driver position even if they're all the same length.

FYI, his Classic TL alignment tables' driver positions for different expansions won't work since they don't allow for the BIB's zero throat area.

GM
Old 10th July 2008, 07:26 AM   #4167
diyAudio Member

True. Although I've found that the suggested 0.416L driver position for the 1:10 taper ratio isn't too far out WRT an acceptable response. Gets people who can't calc. an exact figure in roughly the right area anyway, & they can then adjust to their requirements from there.
Old 10th July 2008, 11:43 AM   #4168
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys! I will do some more fiddling on this.
Old 10th July 2008, 10:06 PM   #4169
sedge1 is offline sedge1  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

Heh heh, quick WAF story...

My BIBs are very big ( 290 x 420 x 1800mm) so are my old NHT1259 subs (600mm cubes)

The Mrs is happy with the BIBs in the lounge (happy ? Well barely tolerant would be a better description, but she knows how much I like them)

We were looking at the lounge, it's quite small and the BIBs/subs are quite big, she asked if I could do something about it.

Oh yes... I can... I popped back to the part of the thread about wings on the BIBs. I'm going to reshape my subs into side firing 200 x 1800 x 420mm 'wings' and stick 'em to the BIBs

What a great idea she says.

Ooh yeah. I'm a nut, but she's really crazy.

Sedge.
Old 10th July 2008, 10:21 PM   #4170
diyAudio Member

Cool! At least she's apparently crazy in a good way!

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!