Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 416 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th July 2008, 01:50 PM   #4151
diyAudio Member

On those spreadsheets I've found that the qts. has a really big impact on the sm. If you wanna see big, model the Pioneer B20. That sucker is huge!

Try redoing it but put in 45Hz for the Fs. That should give you a longer line but a smaller sm. If that's not small enough try 40Hz. At that frequency though your looking at a seven foot tall bib.
Old 8th July 2008, 03:08 PM   #4152
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gurley123
If you wanna see big, model the Pioneer B20. That sucker is huge!
Combination of Q & Vas actually.

Anyway, to quote Gene Hunt, don't be such a Jessie. If you want big, run the Eminence Beta 12LTA wide band unit through one of the spreadsheets. If you don't feel so inclined, then expect a cabinet Vb of ~41.5ft^3 & a terminus CSA of ~958in^2.
Old 8th July 2008, 03:14 PM   #4153
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gurley123

At that frequency though your looking at a seven foot tall bib.
And a very high driver position, though I personally prefer them since in a live app most often the musicians/sound system are much higher than your ears. Of course with a FR driver you need to tilt it down as required, which has the added advantage of lowering the floor bounce frequency as well as reducing the bad side effects of distributed reflections.

An all around win-win scenario IMO, though as always YMMV.

GM
Old 8th July 2008, 03:16 PM   #4154
diyAudio Member

Well, that Eminence Beta 12LTA is one you have to build and then build your house around that.

A dirty little part of me wants to build these really big BiBs. My house is a little on the small side for here in the states though. An Eminence sounds awfull tempting though.
Old 8th July 2008, 03:30 PM   #4155
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, as much as I'm ~apathetic WRT stand alone cab size (5 ft^3 is a nice size 'bookshelf' or slim tower speaker IMO), I do draw the limit at ~30 ft^3 for various reasons, so for me these would have to be false (ideally corner) wall built-ins.

GM
Old 8th July 2008, 03:47 PM   #4156
diyAudio Member

>>> A dirty little part of me wants to build these really big BiBs. My house is a little on the small side...

BIBs can be really slim and take up about the same floor space as typical monitors or floorstanders. I was amazed how little they intrude into my room once in corners. They are pushed as close to the wall and corners as you can get them. Soundstage is big and wide. My suggestion is to get a little dirty.
Old 8th July 2008, 04:03 PM   #4157
diyAudio Member

The Beta 12LTA isn't gonna be slim no matter how you slice it. The spreadsheet spits our 26" wide x 36 7/8" deep internal. I don't think I can sneak those by the wife.

Don't get me wrong. I wanna build it. I just need a place for them before I commit. I also want to do a multiway with a big prosound 15". Maybe I could donate those to the local roller derby for PA duty.
Old 8th July 2008, 04:39 PM   #4158
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose

Combination of Q & Vas actually.

Anyway, to quote Gene Hunt, don't be such a Jessie. If you want big, run the Eminence Beta 12LTA wide band unit through one of the spreadsheets. If you don't feel so inclined, then expect a cabinet Vb of ~41.5ft^3 & a terminus CSA of ~958in^2.

Gene Hunt!

I just found the program on torrents and hope that the dvd set
is released in NTSC format. I tell everyone about Life On Mars.
But it's not available in US.
Old 8th July 2008, 05:41 PM   #4159
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Here is the Beta 12 LTA BIB
the BBBIB- Bigger Badder BIB

BBBIB Bigger Badder BIB Speaker

One pair has been made, and a friend of mine is just finishing his cabinets! They make the Pioneer cabinet look tiny!

Here's the plans:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...54#post1031054

And some photos:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...24#post1266924
Old 8th July 2008, 05:50 PM   #4160
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Variac
Here is the Beta 12 LTA BIB
the BBBIB- Bigger Badder BIB

some photos:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...24#post1266924

Quote:
The low end on these is just unreal, feel it in the chest, in the floor, in the walls, its just nuts.
Heh,
reading that froze me between laughing out loud and getting goosebumps.
rock on

Hide this!Advertise here!