Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 410 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2008, 01:57 PM   #4091
diyAudio Member

Just an FYI, the basic Sonic Impact amp (old style, rounded top) reveals its lack of bass with my Fostex 168s (old style with wizzer) BIB. Switching amps (Cary) fills in the missing bass.
Old 8th June 2008, 02:57 AM   #4092
diyAudio Member

Default BIB Jr.

I am making a BIB for the 127e from some odds and ends.

I have enough material to make the full line length is a use a
Dutchman-- that's tacking on a piece to a length of 45 in to get the
right line length like my original bib.

I call this question BIB Jr. to ask what would be the effect of shortening the line length a bit.?

My width which is precut is 6 3/4 in wide to match the onet I have standing.
Old 8th June 2008, 04:36 AM   #4093
diyAudio Member

Default Re: BIB Jr.

Quote:
Originally posted by loninappleton
I am making a BIB for the 127e from some odds and ends.

I have enough material to make the full line length is a use a
Dutchman-- that's tacking on a piece to a length of 45 in to get the
right line length like my original bib.

I call this question BIB Jr. to ask what would be the effect of shortening the line length a bit.?

My width which is precut is 6 3/4 in wide to match the onet I have standing.
Wait. I'm ok. I stuck the ruler down the BIB and the divider is
45".

But there is another BIB Jr. question and that is on the mouth.
My original used the 63^2 dimension with 6 3/4 width and 9.33 depth. I wonder what mixing and matching the
2 given horn throats at Zillaspeak would give together? The goal is actually less bass on the one to give additional presence. I'm always looking for a good balance between crispness and fullness on these.
Old 8th June 2008, 07:36 PM   #4094
Cheng is offline Cheng  Singapore
diyAudio Member

hi all,

I've promise to post my opinion on my FF165k BIB with FT17H super tweeter on another thread Tumor

So now after many months of listening to the BIB, i would like to share my impression of it. But before i comment abt the sound, i would like to share a little abt myself. I like to listen heavy stuff like the 80's 90's era hard rock, wind orchestra music (i was in the school band back then), big band jazz, chinese pop and new age tune. Like many of others, i visit live gigs in pubs/club and concert when i have the time.

I always find big speaker like old JBL and klipch horn stuff appealing although i dun listen to many of them. I especially like retro/vintage speaker driver with aluminum dust cap.(eg; D130 which use in many PAs and instrument amps of the good old days). Maybe thats how i get to choose the affortable FF165K driver for my BIB. There are also many folks who has build and comment abt the sound of it.

Although BIB is a simple project, i took almost 6 mths to complete it, due to time and place constraint. (I do not have my own tools and place to build speakers). I really enjoy the learning process of doing my own speaker, especially when i make a mistake and someone experience corrected me.

Click the image to open in full size.

Ok. now to the sound. A very musical projection of sound, not heard before with many 2 way 3 way comercial speaker <S$1k price range. although when compare to other fostex whizzer cone in BLH, this can be less detail, but it just sounds correct to my ear. I can't say that it is ruler flat freq, but compare to other fostex whizzer cone driver in BLH that i heard (with tube amplification), this one just sounds balance and analog feels.

Even when i place both at corners, i still find there are a certain dip with certain frequency.( I didnt measure, but with my hearing). All this doesn't really affect the overall presentation of the music I listen to, but with modern "Loud Fast" hard rock stuff, they are really missing out on something with the BIB. I guess it applied to all single driver design. There is no way we can compare a single driver design with a multi amplification multi driver system interms of loud and heavy recording projection.

I will post more impression and findings after i try with different amplification and source.

My impression is base on
source: Marantz cd63se

amplification: N.S LM1875/3875 IC & S.T TDA2030 IC chip direct without preamplification.

FT17H super tweeter crossover with 2.2uf matsushita C.cap & a Lpad.

and no exotic cables/wires etc...

Cheers
Old 8th June 2008, 08:47 PM   #4095
diyAudio Member

Naturally. As a general ROT, FR drivers are in principle about the worst possible choice for heavy rock / metal etc. They can still beat a poorly implemented conventional type of 2 way, even on this kind of material, but if this is your music of preference, they aren't the ideal way forward. A couple of 15in woofers crossed in at ~500Hz probably are.
Old 8th June 2008, 08:58 PM   #4096
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
Naturally. As a general ROT, FR drivers are in principle about the worst possible choice for heavy rock / metal etc. They can still beat a poorly implemented conventional type of 2 way, even on this kind of material, but if this is your music of preference, they aren't the ideal way forward. A couple of 15in woofers crossed in at ~500Hz probably are.

If I were listening to Celtic Frost or Metallica or Venom
I would make another choice as well. Those are few of the loud and fast bands that come to mind.

Reminds me too of a compilation record released on the 80's called
(with tongue in cheek) "Ear Piercing Punk".

For my current BIB I see I have a few recuts to do. How do these things happen? Well running around to another's residence
to do the work for one. Better too long than too short.
Old 9th June 2008, 04:18 AM   #4097
diyAudio Member

Default A small review is needed

My BIB is a year old or so.

From measuring the one I have regards line length, something looks off.

Is there a place (which I thought there was) where all the
measures are given for the Fostex FE127e? The usual Zilla page I go to has line length of 97. That would mean a divider of 48 plus inches.

Remeasuring, my divider is 45 in. I know I did everything carefully
and that the A-B-C was 4" and my front is 49 1/2.

It's puzzling that these are different. That or I have forgotten something-- always a possibility

This one will have the double baffle board front so the driver clears
the space available at 19.5 in down from top. My width is 6 3/4.
Old 9th June 2008, 01:07 PM   #4098
diyAudio Member

Hi Cheng -

You might look up this thread a little way, to a conversation people are having about wings and baffles. On your speaker you have no "suprabaffle".

My first set of BiBs was like this as well, and I found the sound suitable only for acoustic jazz, chamber music, etc, etc - everything people say about single driver FR speakers.

After adding "wings" to each side which increased the baffle width from 6 inches to 13 inches, the sound, ahem, "grew a pair", and I now find my little Fe126e speakers suitable for all types of music. Not gonna pound you in the chest like real woofers, but it's certainly balanced and satisfactory for anything, up to and including Metallica and Green Day.

My 2 cents is that speakers ought to sound OK at reasonably volume on just about any "type" of music - if they don't, you have a failing in the frequency response somewhere, and my biggest improvements came from putting my BiBs in the corner and adding the suprabaffle wings.
Old 11th June 2008, 08:53 PM   #4099
diyAudio Member

Default I learned some things

Quote:
Originally posted by loninappleton
My BIB is a year old or so.

From measuring the one I have regards line length, something looks off.

Is there a place (which I thought there was) where all the
measures are given for the Fostex FE127e? The usual Zilla page I go to has line length of 97. That would mean a divider of 48 plus inches.

Remeasuring, my divider is 45 in. I know I did everything carefully
and that the A-B-C was 4" and my front is 49 1/2.

It's puzzling that these are different. That or I have forgotten something-- always a possibility

This one will have the double baffle board front so the driver clears
the space available at 19.5 in down from top. My width is 6 3/4.

I quoted myself back here because I learned some things which I had overlooked before.

Was able to download and use the BIB Calculator .xls file in my
Open Office Calc.

I got out my spec sheet from the FE127e and started to plug in some values:

Fs 70Hz
Qts .43
Vas 9.9

Wait. The 9.9 did not look like the examples made for the
FE103 and FE165K. But that is what is on my data sheet: 9.9L.

I need some schooling on this. I got a bad value for A-B-C.

Thanks to Jeff and GM and all for making the calculator. I have not had experience with it before today.
Old 11th June 2008, 09:55 PM   #4100
diyAudio Member

You need to convert the VAS from liters to cubic feet. 9.9l = 0.34 cu. ft. The confusion has happened before. I may try to go back and create a switch on the sheet to flip between Imperial and Metric and resubmit it to Jeff. Your measurements should be:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fe127e.jpg (63.2 KB, 359 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!