Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 403 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2008, 08:55 PM   #4021
diyAudio Member

Default A new thought

Scott or others:

I just thought of using auto pinstripe tape to make Enables that are
reversible and does not depend on a steady hand with a draftsman's s pen.

How would that work? Pinstripe tape should be available in white black and some other colors. Pinstripe tape is available from hobby suppliers that sell hot rod replicas and stuff.
Old 3rd May 2008, 01:42 PM   #4022
diyAudio Member

Default 208/T90A BIB

I don't think I have ever posted on this forum, but would like to try to join the club. First I would like to thank all for the info on this forum. A very special thanks to Scott for helping me get my 166 Voigt Pipes to the point that I could really enjoy them a few years ago, and put up with me again during this BIB project. Also, thanks to seventenths who brought his 166 BIBs to a Bottlehead meet where I found out how much more bass a BIB has than even a BSC'd Voigt Pipe. Also a very special thanks to Daniel who invited be to email him about his Fostex 208 BIB's, and also put up with me thereafter. I have asked both Scott and Daniel a lot of questions that I needed to, and some that I probably didn't need to.

I listened to James Taylor tonight. Just amazing!

I continue to try different things. Once I think I have made my mind up about what sounds best as far as placement, damping, crossover, etc., a different recording changes my mind a little. I am getting curious about what measurments of some kind (other than my ears) would tell me. You can do so much to change the sound of these things! Right now, I have a "banner" in the 2nd half of the horn, the 208 is wired out of phase with the T90A, using a 1.0 cap and a fair amount of attenuation on the T90A.

Tomorrow I hope to see if I can shut off all sound above 300Hz from coming out the end of the horn by adding fiber fill in the bottom, and see what that sounds like. I did find that adding some dampening material to the wall behind the speakers helped, but the sleeping bags on the walls did not pass the WAF. I may have to come up with something that can.

Some day I will call it good, seal everything up, and put on a nice finish. Then, maybe I can post a picture.

I would be interested to hear from any about how the fine tuned thier BIB, before I seal mine up, and finish it.

Sincerely,

Benjamin
Old 3rd May 2008, 07:05 PM   #4023
diyAudio Member

Default flush mount

I noticed a substantial improvement by flush mounting.

Others will be able to say if flush mounting is significant for the larger 208s.

I've used the banner/pennant but removed it after making the
flush mount. I do the listening test at the mouth and don't hear much mid coming out that way.
Old 3rd May 2008, 07:26 PM   #4024
diyAudio Member

You're welcome Benjamin.

Re the damping, I think I mentioned before, it's very much a case of what works for your particular room & system, so beyond the basic damping above & behind the driver, & on the base, it's a case of adjust to taste.

Interesting that you mention James Taylor. I was listening to Hourglass earlier on today & nearly jumped out of my skin at least twice, shouting 'where did that come from?!' I won't say exactly what caused it, or why, but it's a fanstastic album guys, so if you don't own it, I strongly advise you to grab a copy. And you'll know exactly what I'm on about when you hear it -comes as a surprise.
Old 3rd May 2008, 11:32 PM   #4025
nesha is offline nesha  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Sorry for interupting , but is there any benneficial effect in making larger mouth area (Sm I believe). Can somebody take a look at drawings?Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bib 2.jpg (9.7 KB, 397 views)
Old 3rd May 2008, 11:37 PM   #4026
nesha is offline nesha  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Or something like thiiiis?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bib 1.jpg (8.8 KB, 665 views)
Old 4th May 2008, 09:04 AM   #4027
diyAudio Member

What's with the iiiiiiiiiiiiiii's?

Anyway, particularly with the former, you're moving away from the original quasi-conical expansion, so it would need to be carefully calculated in advance. Increasing the area of the terminus isn't a bad idea, as it will improve the acoustic impedance match, and / or provide a degree of end correction. Whether the difference would be audible or not however would depend on exactly what is done.
Old 4th May 2008, 06:27 PM   #4028
diyAudio Member

I am all for improving the BIB design but one of the great benefits of a BIB is simplicity.

Straight lines from top to bottom.
Corner placement in a room.
Single driver implementation.

All the above is subject to personal taste, room decor, ability of builder, artistic desire, enhancement on top with super tweeter or on bottom with subwoofer, etc. Every BIB, regardless of how elaborate or basic, can result in excellent sound and excellent value for music lovers.

Damn the measurments! Listen with your ears not your eyes and you will find the BIB is a superior speaker design.
Old 4th May 2008, 06:39 PM   #4029
diyAudio Member

Default Seconded

I will second what Zilla says.

The BIB is just about the ideal full range driver project.

Scott ementioned above he did things for driver prep before enabling.

What exactly are those things amongst all the leg treatments and what not?

I'm thinking specifically of the FE127e
Old 4th May 2008, 08:44 PM   #4030
diyAudio Member

Don't look at me. My 167s have some basket damping & phase plugs, but they're not EnABL'd. I can say that both of the former are generally worth doing, albeit the extent of the benefits will vary from driver to driver. You could also ground the chassis to the - terminal on the driver too if you felt like it. Regarding EnABL, my experience with it is minimal, so I'm defering any conclusions until I have some more experience.

Hide this!Advertise here!