Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 401 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2008, 09:40 PM   #4001
crick is offline crick  United States
diyAudio Member

Well Scott,
I saw in a recent thread that you are still wating on A 206ES-R BIB.My drivers are at your command allthough I'm not sure how well they will work in my tiny mobile home.I've had them for A week now still trying to decide on the Fostex recomended or the Sachiko.Because I can only bring whatever I build out from the front wall maybe 2ft and my lack of skills,the BIB would be A good start.
As you can see in the picture,there is an over hang along the wall that comes out 6.75 in.81.75 from floor to the over hang.I have 83.5 in. from floor to cieling in the left and 8' in the center and 90" on the right.Total room is 13' x 24'.The other half is kitcken area.
Maybe they can be scaled down to work with the cieling hieght?Like I said,my drivers are at your command but I still now nothing about figuring out the dimentons,BSC or notch filters And will need plenty of help.
What I have for amps are A 2A3/45 and A Fisher 500C to work with.I'll do this just for you because I now how bad you want them built
Doug
Old 22nd April 2008, 09:47 PM   #4002
diyAudio Member

Maybe?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg living room.jpg (14.7 KB, 852 views)
Old 22nd April 2008, 09:51 PM   #4003
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Too small, post a big one on Photobucket, Image Shack or similar........
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:00 PM   #4004
diyAudio Member

206 Bibs in a small mobile home ? This combo might give all new meaning to "rock the house"

7/10
who is still in awe of the bass produced by fe166 Bibs, but still yearns to go bigger.
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:11 PM   #4005
diyAudio Member

I'll try to resize it again,Iv'e done it before.

It is on A full basement.Shouldn't fall in but I can try.
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:32 PM   #4006
diyAudio Member

Default Rock the house

Yes, when Doug mentioned this I thought it would overwhelm the space as well.

Doug, have you thought about making BIBs for the 1197's while the
206's are breaking in? This may give some perspective on the sort of sound produced.
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:40 PM   #4007
diyAudio Member

Lon,that is A good option.Hopefully my situation will change soon and I can get out of this tiny house.What should I place the 206es-r's in in the meantime to break them in?
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:37 PM   #4008
BHD is offline BHD  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BHD
I just built a pair of Sachiko's for my 206ES-R's this past weekend and I can vouch that you won't be sorry if you put those drivers in that cabinet.
Old 23rd April 2008, 12:05 AM   #4009
diyAudio Member

That was my first choice.I'm glad you like them.I could build them and use them in my basement listening area wich is 13x54.I would be curious to now the final stuffing option after extensive break in though.Ooops,we are on the wrong post for this.
I guess I can't expect optimal performance in this small space no matter what I build.
Old 23rd April 2008, 01:09 AM   #4010
diyAudio Member

There are all kinds of thoughts on break in. some see no need for it at all. I'm glad I did the process.

To do it it helps to have some space remoced from anyone's hearing and a sound source that can play white noise from an unused frequency on a receiver.

The method is to bolt the 2 uniots face to face and have one in phase
connection and the other out of phase. the test for this is
to take the two wires from the speaker and put them on the positive and negative poles of a small battery (AA usually does fine,) An in phase connection will show the cone moving outward. an out of phase connection will show the cone moving inward. With that all hooked up
you turn on the audio source with the speaks placed in a soundproof box.

Others will correct me if I've left anything out.

Wait a couple days or pose a fresh question to make sure.

That's what I did from advice here in the forum. When I was working long shifts, I'd fire up the noise and leave. Then shut it off
when I got back. I had an A/B switch going and so could switch onto music when I wanted. I did this for a couple of weeks to emulate a couple hundred hours of hard use.

Since then I've seen how test tones work and you possibly could run a simpler setup by running one low tone that is inaudible but
has the cone going like 60. (MPH or Hz, not sure which.)

Hide this!Advertise here!