Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 400 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2008, 05:06 AM   #3991
tilroh is offline tilroh  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TerryO

Mack,

I tried the URL for your Sharpie. Very nice boat and excellent workmanship.
Thanks Terry, I'm looking forward to building something square for a change. The BIBs should be glued up this weekend.
Old 9th April 2008, 10:26 AM   #3992
Brain is offline Brain  England
diyAudio Member

Default Neofone cabinet dimensions for BIB

Folks

Having come across some posts from an individual having a difficult time with a BIB BIB Problem I've postponed the order on my wood. I need some further advice.

These are the parameters of the Neofone that I entered into the spreadsheet...
Fr 53.7
Vas (litres) 11.6 (0.41)
Qts 0.42

This produced :
Line Length 125.37
Zdriver 27.2
Sm 76.36

I'm planning on using 3/4" (71mm) MDF for the cabinet.

I have 2 cabinet dimensions that I'm considering and need to know which is likely to give the proper result.

Option 1 is based on Terry Cain's original BIB.
Internal Dimensions
(H W D) 70" x 5" x 12" (1780mm x 127mm x 304mm)
The internal baffle centred 5.5 inches (139.5mm)
The driver 39" from the top (990mm)

Option 2 is having run the Neofone spec's through the BIB spreadsheet.
Internal Dimensions
(H W D) 62.5" x 7.35" x 10.39" (1600mm x 190mm x 260mm)
The internal baffle centred 5.25" (133mm)
The driver 27" from the top (686mm)

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks

Brian
Old 9th April 2008, 01:44 PM   #3993
tilroh is offline tilroh  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero One
Hi Mack

...here is a link to a South Australian site with 166es for $100.00 each, probably better to go with a know product.
http://www.electricroom.com.au/produ...Speaker+Driver

Cheers
Zero One

They arrived today and are now breaking in. Pretty quick delivery from Electric Room. Zero One, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11th April 2008, 07:44 AM   #3994
sedge1 is offline sedge1  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

FYI: these guys do them too... http://store.majormusic.com.au/ under speaker components... Same price. I got a pair of FE167e' from them shipped out to NZ.

Cheers, Sedge.
Old 15th April 2008, 09:14 PM   #3995
diyAudio Member

Just spent about an hour listening to my 165k BIBs and loved them. Sometimes they sound warm and lush while sometimes they sound thin. Depends on the music selection i guess. Paul McCartney, Bruce Springstein sounded lush and warm as did Pink Floyd. Blondie and Queen sounded thin except for Another One Bites the Dust which is full of bass. Everyting sounded clear and effortless. Guitars and special effect sounds just pop out of nowhere with a surprising amount of life. Very cool. I would like to upgrade to the fostex 225k but don't have the room. My ceiling is only 76 inches high in the basement.

http://www.zillaspeak.com/systems.asp
Old 15th April 2008, 09:26 PM   #3996
diyAudio Member

Did someone say "boats" ?

7/10
Old 15th April 2008, 10:09 PM   #3997
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Godzilla
Just spent about an hour listening to my 165k BIBs and loved them. Sometimes they sound warm and lush while sometimes they sound thin. Depends on the music selection i guess. Paul McCartney, Bruce Springstein sounded lush and warm as did Pink Floyd. Blondie and Queen sounded thin except for Another One Bites the Dust which is full of bass. Everyting sounded clear and effortless. Guitars and special effect sounds just pop out of nowhere with a surprising amount of life. Very cool. I would like to upgrade to the fostex 225k but don't have the room. My ceiling is only 76 inches high in the basement.
So upgrade to the 225 Jeff. Nothing to stop you. You don't necessarily have to make them taller / longer or match to the driver Fs. That just sets the frequency it's tuned to (bit simplistic, but close enough. OK, so it's not optimal, but it still works fine). Just tune to whatever frequency you like & use WxD dimensions to provide the appropriate volume. Won't go much lower than your 165s, but you'll get better power handling & a much greater scale.

Just for you mate: a Godzilla shortened BIB for the FF25K. 136in line for a 68in tall box. W = 10in, D = 14.5in (including a 0.75in thick internal baffle). Zdriver 29.5in. About 2 years back I made a pair with 225s using roughly similar dimensions (few inches taller, bit narrower) for some friends. Suffice it to say, they work. Really rather well.
Attached Images
File Type: gif short 225 bib.gif (6.9 KB, 561 views)
Old 16th April 2008, 06:00 AM   #3998
Brain is offline Brain  England
diyAudio Member

I'll give the BIB project a miss in favour of a build of a better BR for the Neofone. It sounds very good in a prototype BR, good enough to spend a bit more on knocking up a better looking cabinet.

Brian
Old 16th April 2008, 02:34 PM   #3999
diyAudio Member

Thanks Scott! That will fit my room like a glove. Now someone has to pick up my 165 BIB and give it a happy home so i can build the 225 BIB.

Godzilla
Old 16th April 2008, 03:01 PM   #4000
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Godzilla
Thanks Scott! That will fit my room like a glove. Now someone has to pick up my 165 BIB and give it a happy home so i can build the 225 BIB.

Godzilla
have you reconsidered my offer then?

and since i picked up a pair of the 165's over the holidays you would only have to mail the cabs!

good to see you're up and around and in a speaker building state of mind. now somebody please take these 165 bib's off jeff's hands!

Hide this!Advertise here!