Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2005, 05:32 AM   #31
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

Trashed perhaps by the legion of theoreticians, some notable witch hunters at Audio Salem, but absolutely not by those whom have actually built them, such as Scottmoose, and myself. More drivers are on the way to explore further. Again, I was completely amazed at how well the driver which shouldn't, could. Scottmoose is working the numbers for the Supravox 165LB which should arrive later in the week, let us see what happens with a driver far more suitable in this case.
Old 24th October 2005, 03:23 PM   #32
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

I checked the 165LB's specs and they are totally whacked (BL/Cms/Mms bear no resemblance to what its T/S specs calc) so until someone posts measured specs, your guess is as good as mine as to whether it's 'far more suitable'.

GM
Old 24th October 2005, 04:48 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Curses! I wondered if someone would notice that typo! Sorry about that! I meant Qms in the original post when talking about the FF165K. (Note, however the cunning disclaimer elsewhere in the post that mentioned I wasn't feeling bright at the time )
So, he used 1" material for the original design. Now that is interesting; it certainly means that the internal volume of most of the replicas is somewhat out, as I imagine that 99.99% will have been constructed from 3/4" material, though I doubt the difference will be huge. Thanks for clearing that up; I wondered what was going on there; why it didn't occur to me that Terry had used 1" wood, not 3/4" I can't imagine (the eyes were open, the mouth / hands moved, but Mr Brain had clearly long since departed). It'll also mean that some routing around the basket and magnet structures if the original 7" external width was maintained would be necessary if the Fostex units were used, correct? I see what you mean about the Sigma needing more room to breath if this is the case. I wonder... Cheers for that anyway; that's cleared up the question of the dimensions that was driving me nuts, and Martin seems to have figured out now why they can perform well, given the right room and placement.
I'll get back with some dimensions that I would use for the Supravox based on their posed material -they'd probably be a better load for the Sigma too.

Cheers for now
Scott
Old 24th October 2005, 06:07 PM   #34
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

"All out of whack." --Not surprising given their acknowledgement of the Anglo market is to maintain their site ...en Francais, seulement.

Okay, meaning....comparitively better, as in compared to the results with the 168sigma, whose results were completely contraindicated by parameters. one1speed had the same reaction I did.
Old 24th October 2005, 07:19 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

I'm trying like he** to follow this thread, just so much going on right now, not much time for the forums. Yes, the 168 works well in this cab. I tried other drivers as well, like the elusive 4" RS 103. While that worked and sounded nice, it was pretty lean. The 168 has real bass. Sounds quite balanced. Like I stated earlier, I'd change the dimensions a bit if building for this driver. It seems to like to breathe a bit.

TC did note that his plans were for internal dimensions, as I recall. (been a while since I've visited them) And, that his plans were for experimentation. Very cool, I thought. He mentioned to me, the thought of chopping the back at an angle. Pretty cool. Yet to try. But at this point, I'm on to other things. However, this is a design I would like to come back to and build correctly out of a more suitable material, not MDF, as I did.

A cool design that's really easy to plug other drivers into. I had chatted with one fella who was had built them for vintage 8" x 12" Isophons and was very happy. Those have a pretty high Q, but TC said to go for it. Pretty amazing little design.

Back to what is at hand here...
Old 24th October 2005, 07:38 PM   #36
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by one1speed
I had chatted with one fella who was had built them for vintage 8" x 12" Isophons and was very happy. Those have a pretty high Q, but TC said to go for it. Pretty amazing little design.
Little?

Sounds like you are describing Shoog's version. Unfortunately the Isophons lost their smoke....

dave
Old 24th October 2005, 07:41 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

By little, I meant simple with regards to the build. I like the idea of throwing an idea out there that has had some thought and allowing others to run with it. Yeah, little was a poor choice.

Anyway, I've got a pait of the same drivers just sitting. At this point, no time to mess with them. Let me know if someone may be interested in them...
Old 24th October 2005, 07:57 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Indeed dave it was me with the Isophon version. I have drivers to get them back into action, but unfortunately my latest amp is valve and doesn't have the facility to drive a 4ohm load. I finally got my Tannoys sounding satisfactory.
The reason I liked the Isophons in them was because they had that vintage sound, but with incredably low and detailed bass. I was for ever looking out of the window to see what lorry was pulling up outside.

A design point that I applied to the BIB pipes was to mass load them. This cuts the bass quite a bit, but keeps it very clean right down to the bottom of its frequency range. One to consider if you can lose a little bass.

Shoog
Old 24th October 2005, 08:01 PM   #39
TC is offline TC  United States
diyAudio Member

Hiyall,

Nice to see the thread. Thanks GM especially, DMason and Scottmoose for trying the design.

Credit has to go to Fostex. Acousticians, all of them better than we (save for GM). They sim alright, only on paper with pencils and leave far less to chance than we imagine. Few here will know of their math accumen combined with their creativity.

I have revisited the design in various configs and drivers sometimes with amazing results. Once in a while I get to hear a BIB with fe168 I built hooked to a Nakamichi amp, stunning.

Ya'll be good.

TC
Old 25th October 2005, 05:44 AM   #40
jdybnis is offline jdybnis  United States
diyAudio Member

It's funny, a lot of good audio stuff comes out of Japan (DIY, audiophile, and mass market). But I see very little discussion of theory except in a vague handwavy way. I don't read any Japanese so maybe it's just that only the marketing speak gets translated to English. Does anybody's experience differ?

Hide this!Advertise here!