Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 32 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2006, 06:12 PM   #311
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GM

Greets!

Its Fs is too low, but doubling CSA and adding an 8" x 8" vent yields 95 dB half space eff. down to 30 Hz. Not too shabby for a 10".

GM

Heading back a bit, this was a sim GM did for the Ascendant Assassin 10 in a ML BIB. I just wanted to make sure I had the details correct.

CSA is 2x TC's original, thus 110 sq. in. not counting the divider? Driver height is 39". Port is 8" diameter by 8" long round tube. Is the port inside or outside the mouth? My only concern is whether the driver will be too deep to fit (interferance with the divider). I haven't drawn it out yet, but it seems like it will be close if not impossible. Of course, it could be turned around right?

thanks,

Paul
Old 11th April 2006, 07:06 PM   #312
diyAudio Member

Default thanks!

alrighty. so next time you all hear from me, I should have a few photos and some impressions!.
Old 11th April 2006, 07:48 PM   #313
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pjanda1

Heading back a bit, this was a sim GM did for the Ascendant Assassin 10 in a ML BIB. I just wanted to make sure I had the details correct.

CSA is 2x TC's original, thus 110 sq. in. not counting the divider? Driver height is 39". Port is 8" diameter by 8" long round tube. Is the port inside or outside the mouth? My only concern is whether the driver will be too deep to fit (interferance with the divider). I haven't drawn it out yet, but it seems like it will be close if not impossible. Of course, it could be turned around right?

thanks,

Paul

Greets!

Correct.

It's 30" i.d. from the pointy end.

Right.

Outside, since it's firing up at the ceiling, so turning it upside down is problematic if a huge vent tube sticking out into the room or along a side wall is a SAF deal breaker.

Don't have a clue about driver depth other than you can drop it down to ~39" without it unduly affecting the sub's intended passband since it's mass loaded.

GM
Old 12th April 2006, 12:13 PM   #314
fred76 is offline fred76  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Hi Godzilla,

Thanks for the "how to build" page.

Could you explain about the Line length more pls? I mean for example, the 'L' for the 168EZ is specified as 128" (10.7'). How would that be interpreted Vs. the simpler description Inside baffle terminates 6.75 from the bottom and centered from the front/back of cabinet. How do I determine the baffle height?

Cool design with the logo url links below it BTW. Thanks.
Old 12th April 2006, 12:15 PM   #315
fred76 is offline fred76  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Hi GM,

Would the RTF64 would have almost as as large if not larger dims than the Hemp 8?

http://www.supravox.fr/haut_parleurs/215_RTF.htm

Would the 165 GMF sim as bad as the 165 LB?

The longest ply available here is 8'.

Thanks!
Old 12th April 2006, 06:54 PM   #316
diyAudio Member

Default so...

the cabinets i build for the fx120s are still in use in experimental stage with fe108esII. I am eventually building swans for the esIIs, and the FX120s were on loan from a freind. he is now building his own pair of horns for them. nearly identical to the dimensions I used in my horns.

since I am building new horns for 166es-rs, I will no longer need these small horns. their dimensions are

50 inches tall, driver mounted 20 inches down from top. width 5.5, depth, 13.25 (internal) and internal baffle terminates 5.5 inches or so from all sides.

in either case, here is my question: I want to give these speakers to my sister who is at college as a birthday present. What other 5 inch driver would probably be most suitable for this enclosure, and won't break the bank like the fx120s or f120As would.

I am thinking
ff125k
fe126e
fe127e

she listens to alot of MP3s and is an avid music lover. amplification would be sonic impact. the horn cabinets as they are now work well. there is a decent hole in the upper bass, around 100 hz. i like the effect of lower qts on bass quality with them too. upper range tone quality is actually very good in this enclosure as well. so which of these three drivers sounds the least crappy wired with single strand cat5e, or rather, best bang for the buck.

I hear alot of different opinions on all these drivers, and I have heard none of them, whereas I have heard almost all other fostex drivers by now.
Old 12th April 2006, 07:08 PM   #317
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

Clark,

How bout you sell me the FE108ESII, and then you can buy the FX120's for your sister? I think that is a good idea.

But I think the FE-E's would be fantastic in a BIB with the Sonic Impact.
Old 12th April 2006, 07:11 PM   #318
diyAudio Member

BIB for the 126/127 is as follows... thanks Scott!

97in line length, driver 19.5in down from So, Sm=43in^2. Alternative with 63in

So you are pretty close actutally.... tho large. I bet your sister would love you even if the dims are too big (depth)... because it will probably sound good enough anyways.

I use the 127e with the SI amp and it works perfectly together.

What a nice brother you are.
Old 12th April 2006, 08:53 PM   #319
diyAudio Member

http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib.asp

More BIB's.... Several more Fostex... Pioneer B20 and some TB's...

Supravox and Monacor to come...

Godzilla
Old 13th April 2006, 01:40 AM   #320
oface is offline oface  United States
diyAudio Member

ahh thanks for posting more speakers on your site 'zilla,,

i am about done with my 166e's,, i should have them cranking by this weekend,,

later,,,

chris

Hide this!Advertise here!