Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 30 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2006, 12:53 PM   #291
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex FE 103 Sigma

That'all the information I could get in german

FOSTEX FE103sigma

Bandbreite 80-20000 Hz
Schalld. 89 dB
Nennimpedanz/Gleichstromwiderstand: 8 / 7,3 Ohm
Resonanzfrequenz: 80 Hz
Gütefaktoren(Qms/Qes/Qts): 2,8 / 0,29 / 0,26
Äquivalenzvolumen(Vas): 6,2 Liter
Effektive Membranfläche(Sd): 55 cm²
Antriebsfaktor(BL): 5,8 Tm
Schwingspulenüberhang(Xmax): 0,35 mm

THX
Old 8th April 2006, 03:12 PM   #292
diyAudio Member

"All I know is that after two years of listening to wide band drivers almost exclusively, and having gone thru a blizzard of purchasing and testing, I now find even truly well implemented two way combos sound just plain, well, ...broken, to me. Phase issues and weird timbral dissimilarities in part caused by material and phase dissimilarities are all too apparent now. I am not saying they were "bad," but merely sounded "broken," to me."

Yes, I agree!

What's neat about the BIB is how it attemts to enhance the bass. (i still havnt heard one yet LOL) but the sims say it will bring up the bass maximizing the 'full range' drivers performance. This way we get to keep our 'full range' sound... no crossovers to muck things up.

Good luck building the monacors... the wood choice looks lovely.

http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib.asp
Old 8th April 2006, 03:34 PM   #293
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jeff, that's what I thought when I first saw it. I'm thinking a couple of coats of Tung Oil and another of lemon oil should do the trick. Any other suggestions guys?

The Fs on the 103Sigma is a bit high. Still, this should work passably:

Try a length line length of 85in, a driver position 17in from the sealed end and a mouth area of 33in^2. Get you to 60Hz or so. Ripple isn't any worse than others, but the short line length might be more of a problem. One option might be to place it on a deep corner-shelf. Ditto for the other sub 5in driver types too. Just a thought.

Best
Scott
Old 8th April 2006, 04:31 PM   #294
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

FWIW, the measured specs I have for a pair of FE103S is considerably different:

65 Hz Fs
11 L Vas
3.1 Qms
0.26 Qes
0.23988 Qts
6 ohms Re
38.4 cm^2 Sd

calc'd:

3.2741 N/A BL
92.51 dB/W/m eff.

BTW, the German specs calc a 92.25 dB/W/m eff.

Anyway, unless you have measured specs for your pair, best to use my specs as it makes the pipe a bit larger, which is better than too small a pipe.

GM
Old 8th April 2006, 05:36 PM   #295
diyAudio Member

Now that is a heck of a difference. What are the manufactures playing at? First Lowther, caliming a 36Hz Fs for the PM6C, which Martin measured as ~57Hz now this! Sigh.
Old 8th April 2006, 06:29 PM   #296
diyAudio Member

I might also ask: what's happened to my spelling ability? Two typos in 1 1/2 lines. Brain? Calling Mr Brain!

Sorry about that
Scott
Old 8th April 2006, 06:52 PM   #297
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

Scott

I am glad you addressed that for yourself; my immediate thought was, "did you proof read your thesis?"

Good luck with the Monacor 5, again, Louis Chochos of Omega Loudspeakers picked up a pair, and built two BR boxes out of Ebony veneered clinkers he had gathered up. Took the speakers to a Quest For Sound show, and many thought his little creations upstaged the new Zu Tone, which was being unveiled at the show. A little story Zu would rather no one outside of the audience knew about, I am sure. And this from a simple and small BR. BTW, Louis thought the Monacor 5 in a BIB would be "amazing," and conveyed that it would be his own first choice, but cautioned that it needs some juice, at least 10 watts tube, and the small T chips proved lacking. He used a PP 6V6 amp and all were slayed by the combo. They were fun speakers which he actually sold at the show. Keep us informed.
Old 8th April 2006, 07:53 PM   #298
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
Greets!

FWIW, the measured specs I have for a pair of FE103S is considerably different:

65 Hz Fs
11 L Vas
3.1 Qms
0.26 Qes
0.23988 Qts
6 ohms Re
38.4 cm^2 Sd

calc'd:

3.2741 N/A BL
92.51 dB/W/m eff.

BTW, the German specs calc a 92.25 dB/W/m eff.

Anyway, unless you have measured specs for your pair, best to use my specs as it makes the pipe a bit larger, which is better than too small a pipe.

GM
Thank you, I'll follow your advice
Old 8th April 2006, 11:00 PM   #299
fred76 is offline fred76  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Just read through this long but excellent thread...

The first time I heard BIBs was with RS drivers some years ago, I was surprised by the bass response to say the least. I asked TC once back in the pre-Tiki FR Forum days if the 'tuneful bass' was partlly due to the Ceiling Loaded effect.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/spida/framepage%20eng-9.htm
(check out the Nagaoka 'Nessie' designs)

Apart from the Supravox 165LB (which was bad at sim), did anyone try to sim the 8" non-whizzered 215RTF64 (not the high Qts sig)? It's not really FR but can be augmented with horn tweets for the highs. Hope it doesn't need to be inverted (extra plaform to support mouth for floor loading)... It's still fairly high Qts, but among the permanent magnet line up it has the lowest Xmax.

BTW, is it okay to use 24mm thick material for all the panels especially for the internal baffle fold? I can only double up 12mm ply, the 18mm that's available here is much lower in quality (lots of voids).

GM,

I learned a lot from our recent email exchange re: altec system. Thanksabunch.
Old 9th April 2006, 06:28 PM   #300
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Scott, you wrote in post 288 that you would try a square cross-section. Could you explain that a little more.

Regards Peter

Hide this!Advertise here!