Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2006, 01:51 AM   #241
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ultrakaz
Just don't critique the sound, like listening to Ray Brown's the bass go bim and then BOOOM(!).

bimBOOOM!bimBOOOM!bimBOOOM!... fun but not realistic.

Based on GM's tips, the cab must "swamp" the drivers vas........So, you are looking at a Super big BIB cab.
Greets!

Indeed! Yeah, the BIB/B200 sims a hole from ~60-150 Hz you can drive a truck through. Increasing the terminus to 350"^2 reduces it to the original's.

GM
Old 27th March 2006, 02:14 AM   #242
Corloc is offline Corloc  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys for the help, and now time to play with cad a bit. I'll post when I have a design I like.

Chris
Old 27th March 2006, 04:29 PM   #243
diyAudio Member

Greets!

FYI:

B20 BIB: http://fullrangedriver.com/forum/vie...pid=4752#p4752

GM
Old 27th March 2006, 05:20 PM   #244
diyAudio Member

Anyway, give it a try, it looks as good as the BiB sims except tuned higher due to its higher Fs. The sim is solid to ~55 Hz, so in-room should make it into the 40s easy if the specs are reasonably accurate:

L = 84.5"
open end = 55"^2
driver down 36" from pointy end

Due to its length, leaving it straight with the pointy end on the floor and fabbing a stand to support it is probably best.

GM

--

You can't fold that tall boy?

If it's closer to 60" does it sim worth a damn?

Thanks,
Godzilla
Old 27th March 2006, 07:27 PM   #245
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Of course you can fold it up anyway you want, it just won't fill in the bottom octaves like it would straight, up near the ceiling. I think it's still worth trying though.

Not to me, and you'd need a sub.

GM
Old 28th March 2006, 07:14 AM   #246
diyAudio Member

Jeff, I'll get the first batch of re-jigged dims to you later today.

In the meantime, as per requests of a week or so back (before my PC died on me and I got innundated with lectures to write), I'll post some response graphs. Logic dictates beginning with TC's original enclosure, which will give a reference point. Its basic dimensions are 138" total line length (cheers Greg). Driver 30" down from So. Sm=55in^2.

Remember that the response will be much flatter than is shown here though -this is a 1/2 space sim, not a 1/8 space, so ripple for example is massively over-estimated. Just consider it a view of the general curve. All of the simulations have a stuffing density set to 0.0001lbs ft^3 BTW, so again, the light stuffing actually employed will help damp some of the resonances not flattened by the room.

Attached Images
File Type: gif tc original bib.gif (14.3 KB, 1024 views)
Old 28th March 2006, 07:44 AM   #247
diyAudio Member

And as the B20 was the last driver mentioned, this is the original box with volume scaled to the 200in^2 terminus Greg advises on the above link.
Attached Images
File Type: gif pioneer b20 bib.gif (17.3 KB, 1000 views)
Old 28th March 2006, 10:30 PM   #248
ajh is offline ajh  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for posting those. I looked at them closely. Although I can tell that they are not identical, I can't see alot of difference. But then again, I don't really know how to correlate/compare the two.

I would love to here anyone's ideas regarding these response graphs. It seems to me that the idea of the B20 BIB is not really expected to work out well just judging by the lack of positive comments. I am leaning towards building some sealed boxes for my B20's and maybe waiting and buying different drivers for the BIB.

Andy
Old 29th March 2006, 06:44 PM   #249
diyAudio Member

You're welcome.

That might also have something to do with no-one (to the best of my knowledge) having built them. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't work. I'd prefer a smaller pair (everything being relative) with higher quality drive-units, but for the price they should do fine. At a similar price, the Monacor 5" units should be a good substitute for the 1354 -they've a good reputation, and would need a smaller cab.

Cheers
Scott
Old 1st April 2006, 11:59 AM   #250
diyAudio Member

hello all, i've read through this whole post 2 times and i still can't figure out how to tell if a driver will do well in the BIB enclosure.

1) i was wondering if the fe108e sigma would work in this enclosure or if a buschhorn would be a much better option.

2) also, i've got a pair of beyma 8ag/n drivers awaiting a "viech" enclosure and was wondering if these would do well in a BIB. the specs from spectrum audio are:
Nennimpedanz/Gleichstromwiderstand: 8/7,1 Ohm
Resonanzfrequenz: 105 Hz
Gütefaktoren(Qms/Qes/Qts): 4,13 / 1,6 / 1,15
Äquivalenzvolumen(Vas): 11 Liter
Effektive Membranfläche(Sd): 220 cm²
Antriebsfaktor(BL): 6,4 Tm
Schwingspulenüberhang(Xmax): 2,0 mm

from beyma:
http://www.beyma.de/seiten/beymatable/pdf/8AGNC.pdf

thanks for any help!

Hide this!Advertise here!