Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 24 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2006, 04:15 PM   #231
diyAudio Member

Your experiences tally with mine, though I've never personally found Fostex units boring... the suck-out will always exist to an extent due to the driver position, though it's usually around 100-200Hz, give or take 20 or so. Front loading the Lowthers could be interesting. Not something I've looked into though. The original 208Sigma or the new 206ES-R could be possible options too. I've a pair of Lowther PM6Cs on order for testing in various enclosures too...

Godzilla -the Fs is too high for a large enclosure (well, a long one anyway). You could build a rather short pair though! Make for an interesting stand-mount!

Best
Scott
Old 23rd March 2006, 07:30 PM   #232
diyAudio Member

>>> Godzilla -the Fs is too high for a large enclosure (well, a long one anyway). You could build a rather short pair though! Make for an interesting stand-mount!

Thanks, i may just seal em up in a tall slim cab so the kiddies can paint their flames.
Old 24th March 2006, 02:35 PM   #233
Corloc is offline Corloc  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm wondering if someone could spell out the dimentions needed for the visaton B200 in BIB. I fond GM's sugestion to Scottmoose, but I'm not sure of the folding or the driver position.

Chris
Old 24th March 2006, 10:04 PM   #234
diyAudio Member

My BIBs internal dims are 71" x 10.5" x 15.5" and with the B200s the bass is overpowering, which makes suckout more apparent. The suckout can be mitigated by moving the BIBs away from the corners. However, in an unexplainable way produces "fun" sound. Just don't critique the sound, like listening to Ray Brown's the bass go bim and then BOOOM(!).

bimBOOOM!bimBOOOM!bimBOOOM!... fun but not realistic.

Based on GM's tips, the cab must "swamp" the drivers vas, fs between 40Hz to 50Hz, and in the original BIB driver size should be around 5". GM recommended doubling the originals width for the Hemp FR8, which has a similar vas (big) and surface area as the B200. So, you are looking at a Super big BIB cab.

The little Lowther produces the most interesting sound. The tradeoff is less bass extension. Mr. Lowther said that Lowther recently changed the suspesnsion producing more bass.

Scott, please post your results with the big Lowthers when you get them. I suspect they might work really well in the BIBs having smaller vas then B200 and less x-max.
Old 24th March 2006, 11:30 PM   #235
diyAudio Member

".... like listening to Ray Brown's the bass go bim and then BOOOM(!). "

I found that with mine. I mass loaded the top and now they are smooth as silk in the bass. Unfortunately the excitement of that big brassy bass goes with it.

Shoog
Old 26th March 2006, 08:21 PM   #236
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Godzilla
http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...e/nsb/nsb2.htm

Does the NSB 49 cent driver lend itself to a BIB?

They want to paint flames on the cabinet.

Greets!

Flames, cool! My first paying 'job' at age 12 was painting flames on various folks cars, cycles (both bi- and motor-), several hotrods, bowling bags, and even a couple of mailboxes! Great way to learn how to use the airbrush and touch-up gun I got to paint my models. Fun times!

Anyway, give it a try, it looks as good as the BiB sims except tuned higher due to its higher Fs. The sim is solid to ~55 Hz, so in-room should make it into the 40s easy if the specs are reasonably accurate:

L = 84.5"
open end = 55"^2
driver down 36" from pointy end

Due to its length, leaving it straight with the pointy end on the floor and fabbing a stand to support it is probably best.

GM
Old 26th March 2006, 08:38 PM   #237
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by one1speed
That's pretty cool. You know, I wonder if you could do a BIB with 3 or so drivers per side. Would that work out? Or would time delay become an issue?
Greets!

It's not my 'cup-o-tea', but some folks don't find the 'phasiness' objectionable, so as always YMMV. You can always use a 2nd order XO around 4 kHz if its too distracting. Due to the extra displacement though, you could tune it lower and EQ it flat to amaze folks with how low dinky little high Fs drivers can play.

GM
Old 26th March 2006, 09:22 PM   #238
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ultrakaz

1) Front loading the Lowther with the hope of boosting the midrange while at the same time rolling the trebel and/or

2) Adding another driver (as previously mentioned).
Greets!

1) If there's not enough bass, then a FLH will just make it sound much more bass-shy.

2) This is what I'd do, maybe even two to ensure they have a similar 'attack' as the Lowther.

GM
Old 26th March 2006, 10:27 PM   #239
diyAudio Member

I stand corrected... An NSB BIB is therefore clearly possible.

Interesting how the Lowther's are frequently noted to have a miniscule Xmax, but in reality, it's better than ~50% of the Fostex units. According to Martin their claimed 36Hz Fs is laughably off though -make it about 57Hz.

Sounds about ideal to me for this load...
Old 27th March 2006, 02:07 AM   #240
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Corloc
I'm wondering if someone could spell out the dimentions needed for the visaton B200 in BIB. I fond GM's sugestion to Scottmoose, but I'm not sure of the folding or the driver position.

Chris
Greets!

I assume you mean this ML-TQWT (not BiB):

L = 113.38"
SO = 2.036"^2 (terminates to a point actually)
SL = 265.464"^2
xO = 0.6825 (77.38")
density = 0.2 lbs/ft^3
rp = 3.25"
lp = 1.5"

You fold it in half and the driver will be 36" up from the bottom on the side with the vent. IOW it's way down the pipe due to the very high aspect ratio of ~130.38:1. The vent is so large, just make it full width at the bottom with a 1.5" top ledge/stiffener. Divide 33.138" by the cab's internal width to find its height.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!