Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 19 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2006, 06:56 PM   #181
diyAudio Member

Now i see another design for the TB Bamboo 4".... i didnt see either the bamboo or the b20 before until i re read this loooooong thread... i am still collecting data.

Maybe i will build the BIB for the Bamboo since it's just sitting in the basement.
Old 14th March 2006, 07:05 PM   #182
diyAudio Member

Godzilla

I have to admit I was thinking the same thing with the bamboos for the bedroom system I was talking about. Won't get to it for a while, but in time...

Great idea to put a reference page together. Kudos to you!

And thanks to everyone for contributing. I have to admit I feel much more justified in building and pushing this design, as I have been for a while now.
Old 14th March 2006, 07:19 PM   #183
oface is offline oface  United States
diyAudio Member

hey all,,

been lurking and looing at this for a bit,,

i have some fe166e's , i have allready cut my wood prematurely ,,

i think i went a wee bit shallow on the depth ,,

here are the specs,,,

70" H x 12" D x 9.5" W ( all externel),,

the depth is not what i read to be ok , some were at least 14 " deep , but am i making a bit up with the increase height and depth ?

i am just trying this out ,, i allready cut my mdf,, hopefully these should sound ok ,,

currently they are in some bk-16 cabs that i built over a year ago ,, being pused by a p-mour 2a3 amp,,

well gotta head out,,

thanks all

chris
Old 14th March 2006, 07:40 PM   #184
diyAudio Member

They may not be ‘fine tuned’ dims… but I’ve collected BIB dims discussed for the following drivers and will post on my website in the next week or so:

Fostex, 103, 164, 168es, 125, 165, f120a, fx120
Tang Band 4” Bamboo
Monacor SPH 60X
Supravox 165LB
Hemp 8”
B200 8”
Pioneer B20
Radio Shack 1354, 1197

Tho nothing here has been proven to work perfectly and may require fine tuning, these dims offer a nice starting point and will be posted as such. As we build and refine over time the dims will change and more finished designs will emerge.

Basically, if a design is just way too bassy… I would reduce cabinet dims. We may discover some of these designs just don’t work well at all. Who knows? But it’s a neat place to start IMO.

Peace,
Godzilla

http://www.zillaspeak.com/BIB.asp

PS. Thanks Scott and GM for your imput on these designs. Forgive me if i left anyone out.
Old 14th March 2006, 10:14 PM   #185
diyAudio Member

Oface -if you're not running a tube amp, you'll need some series resistance I suspect with the 166. Try Terry's 30AWG magnet wire trick.

Zilla -watch it with the TB Bamboo dims, I was off with that one: they're far too tall for the driver Fs. Better to drop them to, say, a 48" height (96" total length) with the driver 19.2" down from the top. A baby BIB. ;-)

email coming up re your post below. I'll get something more refined sorted for the 4 1/2" Fostex units soon too.

Best
Scott
Old 14th March 2006, 10:18 PM   #186
diyAudio Member

Scott... i have a master list developing. I will email it to you for any corrections... if you dont mind.

Shoot me an email at Godzilla3@hotmail.com so i can send the doc your way please.

Godzilla
Old 14th March 2006, 10:24 PM   #187
diyAudio Member

Please add FE127e to the sample dims. I too have some
12" x 72 " that I wanted to use for this build.

If I had to go from 6" framing to wider for the
frame and internals, that is still doable.

I also have 40-1197's currently in PVC.
Old 15th March 2006, 12:13 AM   #188
oface is offline oface  United States
diyAudio Member

scott,,

i am running tube ampsdo you think series R still be needed?

i have and still on planning on using 30 awg magnet wire,,

i am also will have the deiver siiting on top of a circular baffel that is approx 12" in diameter , i needed more clearence for the rear of the driver,,

i will be starting to assemble to cabs tonight,,

later,,,

chris
Old 15th March 2006, 04:30 AM   #189
diyAudio Member

The BIB looks a good first project for me, the footprint won't be much more than the floor standing sealed boxes I'm using now.

Earlier in the thread there was some mention of tuning. What does this entail? I'd like to build it and then spend my time listening. Dare say that might change and I'll get into tinkering but not for now, so I'd like to get 'near enough' first attempt.

Any recommendations for a driver? The amp will be either a Charlize or an Amp3 if I get the courage to have a go at surface mount soldering. My room is 12' x 15' with 8' ceilings. One speaker will be in a corner, the other as close to a corner as the door permits. Ease of listening is a biggie for me, once up and running they're staying on. (I don't have a TV.) The Fostex FE126 is getting good reviews but the 108 seems to have that extra touch of class according to a few well respected posters here.

Thanks
Old 15th March 2006, 02:39 PM   #190
diyAudio Member

http://www.zillaspeak.com/BIB.asp

As this developes I hope it's useful. Comments are appreciated.

Godzilla

Hide this!Advertise here!