Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2006, 05:48 PM   #1721
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm only writing about that which my ears have mentioned to my brain, and that of sooooooooooooooooooooooooo many others.

Just The Music.

I agree about comression driver horns and 0-NFB amps. I want BMS coaxial C/D from Santa. Dipole bass, c/d horn >800Hz would be about where I want to be.
Old 13th November 2006, 06:39 PM   #1722
diyAudio Member

This is all really helpful and I appreciate the feedback.

I'm thinking I need to re-work this and back into my answer.

Cabinet: BIB

Driver: One that would allow for dual music/HT use

Amplification: either receiver driven or combo receiver/separate amp depending on use

GM, dmason or anybody else:, I'm trying to come up to speed as to what specs I need to look for in a driver that will suit my needs. Do you have any recommendations for a single FR driver that has the dynamic range to accomplish what I am looking for in HT that also pleases in the music dept all while breathing in a BIB?

If there is such a driver, I then need to identify proper amplification. It would have to sound good enough for HT use when being driven by a receiver and hopefully general music listening as well. If it could sound even better with a good amp for 2-channel then so much the better.
Old 13th November 2006, 07:25 PM   #1723
diyAudio Member

My experience with full range drivers suggests that TB drivers work better with Hi Fi receivers than Fostex drivers. They are less aggressive sounding (but also less efficient) and can tolerate solid state amplification without revealing the amplifiers shortcomings.

I have a Yamaha receiver hooked up to TBís and think the sound is warm and full. But itís also less detailed than my main rig with Fostex and tubesÖ

My Pioneer/Piezo combo sounds very good with solid state too as well as the inexpensive Sonic Impact amp.

http://www.zillaspeak.com/recycledsystem.asp

Currently I have the more expensive TB Bambooís up on stands connected to the Yamaha receiver and the combo is great. Mostly for movies but for music too. I gave the other speakers using the aluminum coned TBís to my sister.

To help you choose which driver you want to use I would suggest visiting:

http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib.asp

Here you will find BIBs already designed for many different drivers. Just click on the logos to begin your search.

Good luck!
Godzilla
Old 13th November 2006, 07:52 PM   #1724
weidok is offline weidok  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Wink Re: Dutch design...

Quote:
Originally posted by moray james
nt
That is the enclosure i am planning to build
with the Fostex FE 167 E..

When they are playing.. i will post the results
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wadhoornsmall.jpg (64.8 KB, 565 views)
Old 13th November 2006, 07:57 PM   #1725
diyAudio Member

Trust me Godzilla, I've looked over your site repeatedly.

Now, I'm just trying to figure out the best match for my particular usage and amplification. Do you reccommend any particular TB for HT usage? The Bamboo's? Have you compared these to the Hemp fr8's? Lastly, which do you like better, your Pioneer/piezo setup or the TB's?
Old 13th November 2006, 09:42 PM   #1726
diyAudio Member

Hi mrpopgun! I like most all the full range drivers I bought which includes a handful of TBís, handful of Fostex, handful or Radio Shack, a box of NSBs, and one pair of Pioneer B20s. All have their strengths and weaknesses. Basically, the more expensive ones sound better. Even tho they all sound different the common trait they share is a lack of crossover grunge. Speakers with crossovers can sound dead and lifeless. Listen to a full range driver for a few days then go back to your favorite typical speaker and you will hear the difference.

Never heard the Hemps but I want too. Based on whatís been written here they must sound very good. They are usually compared to Fostex and several have said they are even better.

For me, the TBís are better for solid state than Fostex because they are less sensitive, less revealing, less detailed. They donít rise on top as much as the Fostex and are less forward. Receivers are usually somewhat bright and grainy since they donít use the best components. A Fostex driver will reveal both of these weaknesses. The TB less so.

I will not use my Fostex 127e speakers with the Yamaha receiver I have in the den. I choose the less revealing TB bambooís. The Fostex are very Ďin your faceí and you can barely turn the volume up without it always sounding too loud. So I recommend TB for use with solid state.

The Pioneer B20 is a different sounding driver than any of the TBs Iíve had. Itís not really full range because it needs a tweeter IMO. But the combination of a B20 with a tweeter has a livelier and larger sound than the TBs Iíve heard. Overall, I prefer the B20 but thatís subjective and others may disagree. Itís really a matter of taste. The TB sounds flatter and more like an accurate monitor speaker whereas the B20 sounds fun (to me).

Iíd love to hear the Hemps and reserve judgment on them for another day.
Old 15th November 2006, 03:13 AM   #1727
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

mrpopgun,

FWIW, I love the Hemp FR8's. I'm working on a pair of BIB cabs as we speak. They new Hemp Matrix version should be available soon, and I bet it will be great. The TB Bamboo looks great too; I've been looking for a reason to build a pair.

For your purpose the Neophone might be a great option. It falls between the two in price, but closer the TB is size. Given it's healthy Xmax, it should be a perfect HT BIB. They look fine too. It would need a tweeter (it's done at about 14K), but at it's sensitivity, it shouldn't be hard to find something that would work. The only downside is that few have tried them thus far. Given Brian's (Diy Hi Fi Supply Guy's) track record, and Thorsten's (Loesch) praise, I have no reason to doubt they aren't great.

Paul
Old 15th November 2006, 12:00 PM   #1728
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

I would second the Neophones; interesting stuff there, and lots of Xmax would make for good, dynamic BIB's. Aluminum cones have proven themselves to sound excellent with T amps as well.

Paul,

I look forward to your assessment of orchestral music on the Hemp BIB. We could find it another audio "epiphany!" -D
Old 15th November 2006, 02:51 PM   #1729
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by dmason
Neophones... Aluminum cones
Neophones don't have aluminum cones. Feels like a plastic variation to me. I was going to put them in a Fonken variation, but did we get BIB dims for them?

dave
Old 15th November 2006, 03:05 PM   #1730
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

A thread search yielded this: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...945#post923945

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!