Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 161 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2006, 07:30 AM   #1601
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

I have heard good things about Mr Frakers' TL for the new 604. He has GM to thank for the design, I believe. And Jay Fisher for the aesthetics, stand, etc.

Pano,

How would you proceed to use the trac horn attached to a BIB? i don't see this.

Ciare and BMS both have "Q-perfect" coaxials for BIB's, one inch throats to dial in B&C compression drivers, which I can attest, are ultra-musical, staggeringly good. An existing coax for a favorite comp. driver would be good... one "advantage" of this approach would be through active XO, and therefore using a solid state amp on the cone, and something like SET on the c/d. But more complexity often is just more, and more, in my experience, is less.

Clark,

208es-r? AlNiCo? Is this something coming in measured doses? Or are these TC's famed French purchase?
Old 2nd November 2006, 08:04 AM   #1602
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by dmason
How would you proceed to use the trac horn attached to a BIB? i don't see this.
Same way as in any box. Horn encased above the cone driver. The 811 horn is 18" wide at the front flange, but gets narrow fast behind that. It's deeper than most cone drivers. The horn body and big old Alnico driver would take up some room in the pointy end of the bass horn. Gotta figure if that will hurt anything.

I'll go take a look at the BMS coax drivers. Never heard them, what are they like?
Old 2nd November 2006, 12:54 PM   #1603
diyAudio Member

Default 208es-r

it will be released in spring 2007. a new driver

terry has a pair of 208es, from 2001. they are really something to behold. a whole lotta lanthanum cobalt magnet on those things. I have never hooked them up to a source, but supposedly, from what I read on the japanese sites, they are hyperspeed. some day, he promises to put them into monster walla walla wall of sounds or something. I can't wait.

the 208es-r I think will probably be more and better. problem will be saving up for it. I am a poor college student, and I would like to build more than one pair of cabinets...

I should not post anymore about the driver here though. it will have a qts far too low for BIB use, and will demand ultra rigid most likely orthodox BLH cabinet.

later dudes.

Clark
Old 2nd November 2006, 05:25 PM   #1604
diyAudio Member

Really? Don't you believe it. The 225 has a Qt of 0.16, and believe me, nobody who's heard the pair I built using them for a mate has compained about bass performance. Solid 25Hz; and they're just getting warmed up. Last time I was round at his place, we fired up the Alan Parsons 4.0 quadraphonic mix of Dark Side of the Moon. No, FR drivers (no FR driver) can do dynamics anything like a good 3 way horn loaded setup (VOTT anyone?). But these made the best fist of it I've ever heard from single drivers.

BTW -where did those 3 pages come from when I wasn't looking? I was only working away for a day, and at a John Andrson / Ridck Wakeman acoustic concert last night.

Greg -you've got me to the point where I'm thinking 604s will have to be my next port of call. Unfortunately, I don't have any children that I can sell to laboratories for research purposes, but I'm sur ei can borrow some...
Old 2nd November 2006, 06:53 PM   #1605
diyAudio Member

Kensai, if you email me i will send you the response curves from WinISD for the ff225k... it said you don't accept emails thru this forum.

godzilla3@hotmail.com

Peace,
Godzilla
Old 2nd November 2006, 09:16 PM   #1606
diyAudio Member

well then, perhaps I will give an 8 inch bib a go some time. larger surface area... perhaps I was judging from my experience in the 6 inch realm. low qt=not much bass in that realm, amongg the fostex stuff at least. this forum is a great place. it encourages me to build build build.

the ff225 is a nice driver. I wish to try one some time. long way down the road though.

Clark

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
Really? Don't you believe it. The 225 has a Qt of 0.16, and believe me, nobody who's heard the pair I built using them for a mate has compained about bass performance. Solid 25Hz; and they're just getting warmed up. Last time I was round at his place, we fired up the Alan Parsons 4.0 quadraphonic mix of Dark Side of the Moon. No, FR drivers (no FR driver) can do dynamics anything like a good 3 way horn loaded setup (VOTT anyone?). But these made the best fist of it I've ever heard from single drivers.

BTW -where did those 3 pages come from when I wasn't looking? I was only working away for a day, and at a John Andrson / Ridck Wakeman acoustic concert last night.

Greg -you've got me to the point where I'm thinking 604s will have to be my next port of call. Unfortunately, I don't have any children that I can sell to laboratories for research purposes, but I'm sur ei can borrow some...
Old 2nd November 2006, 09:36 PM   #1607
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

So many fine choices, so little time. Let's go shopping on eBay for Altec.

Dr Moose,

What was that show like? They played the night before Angela got back home to Cardiff. I have read the Wake still take the cake, playing fluid as ever. They made a huge splash in Quebec City awhile ago, with 150,000 showing up for Return To The Center of The Earth. Always shone on a piano. I hope they soon team back up with their now hempified brothers Chris and Steve. The world needs them.

Pano'

Tone Tubby has 12 + 15 cones for JBL. Mmmmmm
Old 2nd November 2006, 11:20 PM   #1608
diyAudio Member

any news on the sims for the two inchers from a few posts ago?

can they be done? with that resonant frequency characteristic?

Clark
Old 3rd November 2006, 12:00 AM   #1609
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Eminence have a new hemp cone driver out. It's for bass guitar. 12" with neo magnet, I think.
Old 3rd November 2006, 02:41 AM   #1610
diyAudio Member

Scott,

Okay, I have a pair of 604E.

What are the dims for BIB?

Heh, heh, would I be able to have a party inside of them?

Hide this!Advertise here!