Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th March 2006, 02:10 PM   #131
diyAudio Member

Default Personal Preference

Good Morning,
GM I am very curious. What speaker do you listen to at home? Do you have a personal favorite design? Thanks. James
Old 11th March 2006, 03:49 PM   #132
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Personal Preference

Greets!

Thanks for asking! In all my years of 'bench racing' audio on-line, I don't recall ever being asked what my favorite is, though I've periodically mentioned it in passing.

Typically, I listen to AM talk radio on either a '70s el cheapo Lloyd's table radio/phone combo or through what's left of my main rig, which I was forced to sell off much of to support the greedy medical/pharmaceutical/insurance cartels some years ago. Since what's left is for the most part in dire need of maintenance/repair, I don't do any real critical listening.

Anyway, the speakers are corner loaded mildly tweaked Altec 511B CD lens driven with 808 drivers loaded with OEM alum. diaphragms perched on top of 20 ft^3/16 Fb MLTLs loaded with dual Altec 515Bs. XOs are Altec 501-8A 500 Hz/2nd order passive, all EQ'd ~flat in-room using an early dbx digital controller.

I never built my personal favorite, a five way all compression loaded system, settling for ServoDrive Contrabass subs, dual 515B 70-500 Hz midbass/lower mids compression loaded horns, and massively tweaked versions of the 500-20 kHz compression loaded horns listed above.

That said, this being the fullrange driver forum, I don't have a favorite per se since no fullranger can adequately reproduce a wide enough BW with any degree of accuracy except inside the 1 m listening distance due to excessive dynamic compression, so it would have to be at least a two way, and preferably a four way since I'd want the highest eff./resolution wide BW driver available, which I assume would be a tweaked Lowther DX4 or similar.

GM
Old 11th March 2006, 10:43 PM   #133
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I am curious about the Supravox 165 in BIB. I think it was Dmason that bought them...?
Right now I`m waiting for Monacor`s to arrive. Have anybody else made BIB`s with Monacor SPH60x?

BTW thanks Scott for info.
Old 11th March 2006, 10:56 PM   #134
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

I have the Supravox 165LB, in the box.

The Monacor 5" is supposed to be a really sweet driver, abit "polite" on top, requires abit of power, but a room full of people at a Zu demonstration were amazed at the balance and bass output from such an inexpensive driver in such a small BR cabinet that it largely distracted the crowd from Zu's "Tone" model of standmount speaker ... Sounded like a case of 1 + 1 = 6

Good Luck!!
Old 12th March 2006, 12:27 AM   #135
diyAudio Member

Greets!

The 165 looks horrible in a sim, with a huge suckout through the midbass, so no 'slam factor'......

The SPH60X sim is very close to the 40-1354 TC used, so this is the one to try.

GM
Old 12th March 2006, 03:20 AM   #136
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

GM,

What's your take on a Hemp BIB? Worth the trouble/ply?

Paul
Old 12th March 2006, 05:30 AM   #137
diyAudio Member

Greets!

It sims even worse than the Supravox, requiring a much larger cab to 'breathe'.

Anybody with these up for gambling some time/wood to build a prototype and report back anytime soon?

GM
Old 12th March 2006, 09:27 AM   #138
diyAudio Member

Those Monacors should go nicely in the original enclosure. Who said quality costs?
Old 12th March 2006, 02:45 PM   #139
diyAudio Member

I have a pair of the Hemp drivers and would be willing to give the BIB a shot. I have been looking for a project for these. What dimensions would you suggest?
Old 12th March 2006, 04:03 PM   #140
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Cool!

Same height/depth/driver location, just increase width to ~27.56" (~303"^2), a big step up from the stock 55"^2, so either some external bracing or increased panel thickness will probably be required. If this is unacceptably wide, then the divider board length will need to be adjusted based on the ratio of the width/depth dims you choose. For instance, if a square profile is used, then the divider would be centered at ~17.41"/2 = ~8.7" both horizontally and vertically.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!