Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

From Zaph

This is from Zaph's Site. A great resource.

Attachments

• hivi-b3s-ts.gif
    hivi-b3s-ts.gif
    13.8 KB · Views: 960
im sorry i tried searching but....im challeneged, and its summer holidays, so i was wondering if someone coudl be ncie and answer a quick question.

How do i find out how far the baffle goes from the bottom of the cabinet? i calulated it so that at the bottom of the baffle the SD=1/2 sd of the throat. is this right? i remember someone saying they put it like 7" from the bottom....but im not going to build these going by what i remember.

ff165k

Just an update on my larger bib which were built according to scottmoose's initial size for the ff165k. They work really well, have heard lower bass than with any of my prevoius speakers. The midrange is also excellent, the bib design works. I tried wedging a short brace above the driver between front and inner baffle, but it sounded worse, so out it came. I use no stuffing and transformer wire for speaker wire.

Finished this one enclosure, poplar plywood, veneered edges, oak board base, 2 coats n-c lacquer, wet sanded with 600 paper.

Using Russ White preamp, ska gb150d amp.

cheers
doggy:)

Attachments

• ska 034 (large).jpg
    ska 034 (large).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,132
how loud

A subjective answer Scott is: The bib reaches loud levels cleanly, louder you can hear more of the micro details, loud enough that it makes concern for the neighbours. I will have to pick a day when no one is around.

My construction is a little different also. The inner baffles have a natural curve, to give the back horn a little exponential flair.

Have you sim'd this size bib to the ff165k? can it be done to check the response?

cheers
doggy:spin:

Attachments

• ska 014 (medium).jpg
    ska 014 (medium).jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 981
zek said:
Maybe I'm wrong, but an Excel seems incorrect.
How can you summ Sm in sqr inch (C8) with baffle thickness in inch (C9)?

zek said:
My 0.2

D=depth of enclosure
W= width
H= height
t= baffle thickness
d= depth of throat

Sm = W*d
D= d+t
H=L/2

d=sqrt(Sm*sqrt(2))
W= Sm/d
D= sqrt(Sm*sqrt(2)) +t

All dimensions are internal.

p.s. Maybe I'm wrong or not

Nobody have any comment on my posts (#908 & #909).
Am I totaly wrong or not :smash:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=945855#post945855
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=945862#post945862

Looks like you're on the right lines to me.

Doggy: your results with the 165 tally with mine -that miniscule Xmax doesn't seem to be an issue with this load. One of the few times I've ever heard an FR driver do a convincing job with rock. Yes, I have simmed this enclosure with the165 -I'll see if I can dig it out for you.

Colin -ditto. I think I abandoned it because I felt the Fs was too high to be really worth continuing, though as there seems to be an interest in baby BIBs, I'll recheck and get back later today.

Here's the 1/2 space response for Doggy's 165 BIB. Methinks he'll find a certain similarity at LF between the subjective sound of the BIB and his dipole -both Dan and I have found this in the past. Odd. But I'm not complaining!

BTW: all BIB and dipole enthusiasts: might I venture a listening suggestion? I've already mentioned this to Dan in a PM. The Wicker Man Original Sound Track. The 2002 release, in the yellow carboard sleeve, with posters etc from the film, not the earlier release. Absolutely magic. Paul Giovanni's tracks are all back, including Gently Johnny and Willow's Song, and the recording is stunning -one of the best sounding CDs I've ever heard. That's what comes of good quality master tapes, stored carefully (so carefully they were lost for nearly 3 decades), and almost never played, converted using top AtoD equipment. You have to hear this. It breathes. I know this isn't the place for mentioning music, and I don't want to stray off topic, but I just had to tell you about this.

Attachments

• 165 bib.gif
    165 bib.gif
    6.9 KB · Views: 743
Thanks Scott for response graph, and I will look for that cd. I don't seem to miss that 100 hz dip. The bib's amplify low freq. back ground info.really well.

Martin, the supravox are detailed on the ob but the ambient bass is not of the same volume as a bib enclosure,maybe a bigger ob is the answer for that. And my fe206e are good in a horn but the low bass is not as good, the bib has less inner bends in the horn path.

I have some AN se-8 drivers, but the size of the bib is imposing.I am tempted to try a fe108ez in bib, downward firing.[or the ff125k !]

cheers:)
doggy