Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

yeah...

the whole thing with resistance, at least what I remember from physics class is that resistance is a function of length. so a short run of tiny wire is not much of a problem. also, there are certainly benifits of this tiny wire that go beyond the realm of the ability to explain such with equations...

the thin magnet wire is really nice because it does not hurt the sound too much with the longer runs, and seems to add resistance at the same time, which is good for tuning bass response out of these fostex drivers.

well, I am debating another BIB or simply going bass reflex for my pair of 126e and cobra spiral horn or BIB for my fe103e pair.

work on the fe206es-r (fostex reccommended cab) will start soon as well.

howsa bout some sims for a pair of fe87sp (old version that we can buy super cheap from madisound)? any interest? thanks.

this is a lot of projects for three months

Clark

Thanks for posting the picture Zilla. The miter joints were cut with a circular saw and a saw board. It is very easy but you need a saw mated with a good blade( CMT, Forrest, etc.) and a saw board. The joints were glued using an old cabnet makers technique....tape the panels together, flip them, run a bead of glue down the cavity and fold up. Clamps were not even needed; just a tape strap across the open side to apply pressure.
The finish stage is next but it will have to wait. We are going to North Carolina for the holiday week-end. It is my wife's 50th Birthday.
Planned finish is linseed oil and wax......but who knows?!?!
Thanks again Zilla......

bottom_feeder said:
thanks buddy

Me thinks I see a (40-1285D) BIB in my future, and not for drooling . . (har har)

Greets!

You're welcome!

L = 120"
zdriver = 26"
Sm = 330"^2

GM

Attachments

• 40-1285d t.c. bib done in blh ws.jpg
    40-1285d t.c. bib done in blh ws.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 879
wow - you are the man !

Nothing like standing on the shoulders of giants to get the job done ! (insert Dr. Evil laugh here) REALLY looking forward to trying this design. I'll just have to hit the Home Despot for some nice 3/4 Baltic Birch and away I go.

I'm also waiting to receive all the little bits to build my first tube amp based on the *boozhound* 6V6 Triode strapped / 6SN7 driver. All the iron is coming from an RCA console with 6V6 outputs, and I have some nice NOS Syl 6SN7W's, and a mess of different 6v6's to roll with.

Course, it'll only be kicking about 1.5 watts, so I can always regress back to my mid 70's Marantz integrated for the *big juice* if need be.

It's gonna be a good summer :devilr:

re: internal speaker wire

Hi,

I tried qood quality 24AWG magnet wire (Chimera Labs style spkr braid *google it*). Sounds good to me. It can be microphonic in longer runs so it's better if it is damped with some bandage cloth (cotton) and some masking tape to hold the ends with, and then slipped into thin techflex or polyester sleeving. Put a heatshrink at the end before the + and - braid split.

fred

here's a bib idea . . . vintage KLH ??

So in at least two KLH designs from the 60's, Model 14, and model 19, they used very smooth sounding 3.5 / 4 " fullrange drivers. both designs had two per cabinet, with a small 2 " X 2 " port; box volume couldn't have been more than .75 cubic feet. They use no tweeter, and go quite low considering the size of the speaker & enclosure . . . BIG Alnico magnets too

based on the wiggle room for the BIB design, these could sound nice in (I'm guessing) enclosures similar to the small jordan FR drivers, or maybe the 1197 Radio Shack . . .

HMMMMM . . . looks like I already have BIB project number two, since I have 10 of those little FR monsters hiding in the basement. I was going to try a little KLH line array with 5 per side, but the BIB is looking more fun.

thanks for the inspiration guys !

Sorry I've been absent for a few days guys -work's taken up a bit of time recently.

As per a request for the neophone, here's one.
Line length 128in.
Zdriver 25.75in
Sm (or Sl if you are so inclined) 55in^2.

I'd like to think this driver is a good one, though I doubt we'll know until someone gives it a whirl. Expensive risk. The specs are nice though, which is a good start.

Cheers
Scott

PS, Greg -how are you doing it in the BLH sheet? I'm assuming set a tapered CC from So to the driver centre point, and the throat as the same area as the driver end?

S.

Attachments

• neophone 5.25in driver.gif
    neophone 5.25in driver.gif
    6.9 KB · Views: 827
Scottmoose said:
Sorry I've been absent for a few days guys -work's taken up a bit of time recently.

As per a request for the neophone, here's one.
Line length 128in.
Zdriver 25.75in
Sm (or Sl if you are so inclined) 55in^2.

I'd like to think this driver is a good one, though I doubt we'll know until someone gives it a whirl. Expensive risk. The specs are nice though, which is a good start.

Cheers
Scott

PS, Greg -how are you doing it in the BLH sheet? I'm assuming set a tapered CC from So to the driver centre point, and the throat as the same area as the driver end?

S.

Greets!

Yeah, I hate it when work keeps me from doing the important things in life.

FYI: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=921458#post921458

GM

PS: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=923176#post923176

Re: wow - you are the man !

bottom_feeder said:
REALLY looking forward to trying this design.

I'm also waiting to receive all the little bits to build my first tube amp ........

Course, it'll only be kicking about 1.5 watts...........

Greets!

Looking forward to a review since I'm not up for much woodworking anymore.

Gees! You must have given Lady Luck a really good time to find all these goodies! ;)

Yeah, with only a nominal ~91 dB above the cab's passband, 1.5 W won't get the job.

GM

Re: BIB question: sm for radio shack 40-1285D

Greets!

Sleep? What's that? - Insomniac since ~1950

Yep, correctomundo, though for the horn's expansion to be technically ~correct, you can't use a square mouth.

d1 = SQRT(330*SQRT(2)) = ~21.61"
d2 = 330/~21.61 = ~15.28"
or can be done by using the reciprocal of SQRT(2):
d2 = 1/SQRT(2)*~21.6 = ~15.28"

GM