Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

hlj said:
My comment was not intended as a criticism, apologies if that was how it appeared.

I know I can safely say that nothing was further from any of our minds -any comments and questions are welcomed by us all. We're just enthusiasts, helping each other when we can.

Re the Ciare Oliver, it looks fine to me. Fs is a little high, but no more so than some of the smaller Fostex or CSS units for example. It should perform well enough. I'll run a few numbers when I get chance. Not a manufacturer I've looked at properly I have to admit, which is a bit remiss of me. There's some 8in Fostex dims that should be emerging on the BIB pages soon too, to go with the 8in Audio Nirvana dims & sims already posted. Lowthers are still in the works I'm afraid. Please accept my apologies for the delay (Jeff in particular for your patience) -they're being a bit of a pain. I believe GM is going to have a crack too when he has chance. If anyone has any other driver requests, new, or if I've missed any earlier posts, give me a shout and I'll see what I can do.

Regards to all
Scott

It’s been so busy at work… I own a computer consulting business for the last 10+ years and working on a new marketing strategy is not as easy as I thought it would be… visiting clients to get quotes (both positive and negative) trying to figure what we do well… and not so well… collecting all the info and balling it up so new prospects can relate and find common ground with who we’ve worked successfully with in the past. I won’t bore you any further with this tho…

>>> dims for a fe126e…
click here and scroll down for dims and sims…

BIB for FE126E/127E
L = (Line length) 97in
So = Driver 19.5" down from sealed end of cabinet
Sm = 43in^2

http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-fostex.asp

I’m basically building this cab for the TB Bamboo which is very similar. I can swap out the drivers (must make a removable front baffle since hole is not quite the same).. and see which sounds better.

Tangband 1320SB 4" Bamboo full range
L = (Line length) 100"
So = Driver 20" down from sealed end of cabinet
Sm = 38"^2

I will post the 8” Fostex dims and sims early next week. Cool alternatives to the more difficult back horn recommended enclosures from Fostex and perhaps even better sounding!

Thanks Scott! No rush on the Lowthers… but I must admit I can’t wait 

Godzilla said:
Thanks Scott! No rush on the Lowthers… but I must admit I can’t wait J

Greets!

DX2 with 2 ohms series R:

L = (Line length) 138"
So = Driver 30" down from sealed end of cabinet
Sm = 220in^2

DX3, DX4, C45 with 4 ohms series R:

L = (Line length) 120"
So = Driver 25.2" down from sealed end of cabinet
Sm = 220in^2

GM

I have modeled BIBs with Ciare HX160 in Hornresp and got the claimed results, especially when radiation into quarter space, read: corner loading is done. Responses are smoother without throat chamber, read: no offset, mouth area close to Sd. I`m going to simulate Acuhorns soon.

Greets, Oliver

GM said:

Greets!

Hmm, I thought I did these already, but if I did I didn't save it. :( Anyway, it looks fine in the 'stock' BIB. Its specs looks almost too good to be true, especially at this price, so probably is.

Anyway, anyone have any experience with this driver and/or their 'Ella' amp?

GM

Hi

I read a statement from someone at diyhifisupply somewhere, that these are more widerange than fullrange - like the CSS WR125 they need help in the treble.

best,
martin

Godzilla said:
LOL... my front baffle will have to be doubled up to fit the driver because the magnet is too deep. Godzilla

Just blame me and ready the bonfire for my ritual burning. Much easier. Satisfying too.

Jeff, you could try adding a false baffle a la TC, though unless you have the necessary lathe etc perhaps another shape might be best. I suspect that's one of the reasons Terry uses them anyway. Driver clearance, additional front baffle stiffening, a shifting of the baffle-step point and surface wave launch.

GM said:

Greets!

DX2 with 2 ohms series R:

L = (Line length) 138"
So = Driver 30" down from sealed end of cabinet
Sm = 220in^2

DX3, DX4, C45 with 4 ohms series R:

L = (Line length) 120"
So = Driver 25.2" down from sealed end of cabinet
Sm = 220in^2

GM

Hi GM,

Would the DX2 and DX3 dims be essentially the same for the EX2 (2 ohms R?) and EX3 (4 ohms R?)? Would the series R value be the same regardless of amp type, valve (pp or se) or ss? Thanks!

http://www.lowtherloudspeakers.co.uk/EXseries.html

fred

fred76 said:

Hi GM,

Would the DX2 and DX3 dims be essentially the same for the EX2 (2 ohms R?) and EX3 (4 ohms R?)? Would the series R value be the same regardless of amp type, valve (pp or se) or ss? Thanks!

http://www.lowtherloudspeakers.co.uk/EXseries.html

fred

Greets!

I assume so, based solely on comparing published specs. You need at least this much to get a ~BIB response, so if the amp has more, it will alter the response similar to adding the difference in series R to a driver that doesn't need it.

GM