Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

I havent' glued the base - yet . I screwed it with 2 inch wood screws after lining it with some weather stripping. This allowed easy access while experimenting with stuffing.

Attachments

• p1000537.jpg
    p1000537.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 840
They stand right up against the wall 6 feet apart and 6 feet away from the corners. Corner placement would augment the bass more, I am sure but the bass is just right for my tastes. I primarily listen to jazz/blues/classical of the small ensemble/acoustical variety. Although I did put them through the Bob Marley/Jimi Hendrix test and they performed admirably. Driven by a 3.5 watt 2A3 SET too.

Attachments

• p1000543.jpg
    p1000543.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 881
Nice setup indeed. Stain and polish works for me. But I love the look of ply, especially the edges (if you can bevel them, they look even better) when done right. Just a personal thing. I'm probably on my own with that!

Couple of questions: 1) what did they sound like on the Hendrix? and 2) What frequency (approximately) are they cutting off at in your room? We know what they'll do in 1/2 space, but it'll give us an interesting insight to know your own results.

Best
Scott

Hi there!
I've listened to my Monacor BIB's today and I agree with Uvellani.
There are a lot of high frequenses coming out of the mouth.
I started listen in a conference room about 50 sqm which is a total acoustical disaster. BUT, I swear by God, 40hz was audible!!!
AND, with a "high end" amplifier named Sharp (70 Euro mini stereo)!!
Hehe, this will probably make some people cringe in this forum, however I will take them home soon, to try them with my Naim equipment. It is not worth to evaluate them yet with the Sharp, but the bass is awesome already.
Anyway I moved them to an office about the same size but with acoustical treated ceiling and dividers. Bingo, all falls in place. Better voices, no booming and clearer midrange.
Still I have a feeling that the forward sound will still there with better electronics. Tomorrow there will be a surgical attack on the Monacors, whizzers going out. I have four of them, so its possible to compare. If necessary I will put a tweeter firing up at the ceiling with a first order filter.

Last but not least, all in all I'm satisfied so far. I've spent a total of 60 Euro if I don't count the extra pair of Monacors:D and that includes some tools also.
Regarding the circular false baffles, I tried these but their improvement for the sound do not compare to how ugly they get with them on. I maybe try them later at home or think of another solution.
Cheers from the beer (pilsner Urquell) that created Cz Rep

Attachments

• 060430 022.jpg
    060430 022.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 808
Scottmoose,

Thanks for the for the sim on the Monacors.
The specs I used are (internal) and 19 mm board

W 12.7 cm
D 28.1
H 142.5

The depth is about four mm more than the width of the pipe, due to the hand that punches in numbers doesn't obey the owner of the hand.
If i can get my hands on these Tangband I think they going in to my BIBs, or what do you experts say?
Bye

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w5-938sa.htm

Hi Fred76,
Thanks for compliment, however the used material are actually birch veneered chipboard. If I had to choose between that and MDF, chipboard is the vinner IMO. Othervise I agree with you.
This was a project in order to see (hear) if fullrange is something for me. So low budget was an issue. The boards were free of charge, so no hesitation of which material to choose.
They were cut to the "exact" specs, by a professional furniture producer.
It proved they were not so professional as the company claimed but who can complain when it's for free:) Modify and be happy with the final result.
Check the link below reg plywood

http://www.alfa-massiv.com/

Glad you like them. I suggest, if you haven't already, a 1in thick layer of fibre stuffing on the base of the enclosure, which should help absorb some of the unwanted highs, rather than the stuff you've lined the rear of the horn with.

Looking at those Tang Bands, I have to say, they are possibly the ugliest driver I've ever seen. Which probably means they'll sound superb. Specs look about right. Nothing to suggest they won't sound good. Personally though, I'd save my money for a better driver -either the bamboo TB, a Fostex unit, or the CSS FR125.

I actually agree with you re the chipboard as it happens. (I can't see it on the link you mention though?) It's not as good as ply, but for horns, it's better than MDF. Wish there was something like that veneered stuff you used available in the UK -looks great from the photos. Naturally, there isn't. The dearth of good material in the UK, for those who don't live in London is starting to get on my wick a bit.

Jeff -what do you think?

Best
Scott

http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib-pics.asp

Thanks for posting the pics and congratulations on building your BIBs!

Your feedback about the hi frequencies getting thru the mouth and suggestions on where to stuff are invaluable as this design’s immediate flaws are filtered out. This will help future builders (like me) get things right faster. Much appreciation to you!

The ‘How to build a BIB’ page will include additional drawings and suggestions for stuffing. Anyone who wants to contribute a drawing is welcome! Please send in your ideas so I can post them. Thanks!

In the coming weeks as more post pictures I will layout the ‘pictures’ page better. Each builder will get his/her own page for their BIB and comments.

Several more designs on the way soon. It’s a busy week for me so please forgive me for not posting. Thanks Scott and GM for sending the new designs! I will post them as I can.

Peace,
Godzilla

Hi Scott
Yes, have one inch layer in bottom. The damping material (filters for spray automats, works better than most damping stuff I've tried) that are on internal panel are against booming.

Reg Tangbands I don't care if they look like Freddy Kruger on speed, as long as it sounds good;) We'll see what's coming on later. Specs seems ok in my boxes.

Regarding the link, there is no chipboard for sale in this company. It was only for the nice fruit wood range and plywood issue, given from fred76.
Well, take a look at this for an dipole baffle, shape and size is almost prefect and exist in UK!!

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stor...60805&langId=-20&parentCats=15564*16225*15876

Couple of questions: 1) what did they sound like on the Hendrix? and 2) What frequency (approximately) are they cutting off at in your room?

Scott, I'll try and measure the FR soon and let you know what it looks like.

Hendrix sounded surprsingly good. Let me try to put that in perspective. What I had before the bibs was the fe166e in the fostex blh. Compared with that the BIB has more and better bass. Which is surprising considering this is a smaller driver.
Two records - Jimi Hendrix's 'Band of Gypsies' and the Cream reunion concert - have strong, driving bass and drum lines. I found it very satisfying listening to these on the BIB whereas I hardly ever played it on the fe166e BLH. THe BIB is cleaner, tighter,fuller. The BLH was muddied and rather thick at best in comparison and never quite hit the lows. Sometimes with the BIB it hits a low note that makes you look up in surprise.

Having said that I would advise against anyone whose primary taste in music is rock to settle for a 4 inch driver. If you need to feel the music in your bones as much as hear it you will need something that moves more air. For me this will do nicely, thank you. And if I need to feel it my bones I have gainclones driving a two-way TL(Meadowlark Kestrel) that does the trick. And one of these days I'll build a BIB for the FE166E and see how that sounds.

Anyway I moved them to an office about the same size but with acoustical treated ceiling and dividers. Bingo, all falls in place. Better voices, no booming and clearer midrange.
I have a wooden ceiling with glossy paint on it. I think I need to do some experimenting there.

UV