Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

Well, I am serious, but admit straight away that my number of samples is very small. If I apply the room gain to the sims I made of BIBs I have measured in my living room, they show much more bass than I measured. The sealed box subs I had were spot on. But placement did matter much though. The BIB that
had its mouth closest to where the sealed box measured best also came close to predicted room gain. Maybe gain worked fine but I was seeing other room artifacts.

I have a stack of sawed panels ready to be glued into the new design. I'll measure it once it's up and running, see how it behaves.

If the design is succesful, I'build another for stereo. Unfortunately, that means the big 12" BIB has got to go. Not looking forward to that.

Corner construction primarily sets corner gain, especially up at the ceiling where BIB loading comes into play, so if the best corner happens to be an outside wall where the roof attaches it will be [much] better than an inside wall corner with a gap to the roof.

Speaking of Olson's corner horn, the first sim I did for the FC-152F01TC was his ~1950 HIFI reflex [actually a MLTL] that I was exposed to in '65 at the end of its long production run and the beginning of my fascination/preference for tower/column/pipe horn speaker alignments: http://ayumi.cava.jp/library/olson.pdf

The Fane sims near enough the same as the LC1A in the LW view! Makes one wonder if this was intentional.........

GM

Attachments

• FC152F01TC_Olson.txt
    1 KB · Views: 83
I have been wondering the same thing. I don't have thiele-small parameters for the RCA driver, but while making the sim of the Olson corner horn it clicked into place very easily. Better than various 15" drivers I tried.

It would make sense in a way, for different reasons. First, it was of course a well thought out driver/set of parameters and performance). Second, it must be a niche drive unit for the PA market. If it could exploit a second niche market (DIY-ers, enthusiasts) that would probably be great for Fane. Third, I have only had it out of the box so far so no listening time, but I like how it looks. Someone had dedication designing it. Someone who maybe likes the RCA legacy?

Thanks for the pdf and the hornresp file. Good to have another design available.

By the way, my house is a poured concrete foundation, poured concrete floor, poured concrete walls, poured concrete ceiling/second floor, poured concrete walls, poured concrete third floor, poured walls, wooden roof. Kind of over-over constructed. ;-) interior walls are solid gypsum blocks, but street and rear yard façades are mostly window or otherwise concrete and brick. Outside layer is 80% brick or slate. It was built in the seventies. They don't make them like that anymore. Whenever a little bit of outside wood trim or cladding needs maintenance, we try to replace with a maintenance free material (like aluminum window sills). Who wants to climb a ladder to paint with vertigo while you can sit in the backyard with a book?

You're welcome!

Wow! What an echo chamber! Yeah, really strong room modes can wreak havoc with speaker responses, but still envious. I learned the hard way my 'floating' floor, stick built, lap board siding house is very porous with a relatively high Fs, so can't enjoy a true sub system worthy of the name for movie LFE or similar :(.

Agreed, recently noticed while cleaning off the roof that I'm starting to get a bit of vertigo :(. Not a good place to find out, especially while wielding a neighbor's big/powerful/$$$ commercial backpack blower :eek:.

GM

Yeah, when we moved here with little furniture etc it was quite unpleasant acoustically. It's still a bit live, which is why I started looking into line arrays to limit vertical dispersion.

I am glueing the thing together as we speak. Panel damping is already in place, so when the last panel is on, it's ready to go. I hope to get a first listen tonight. It's a pretty rough build, but my wife is happy with it. Not too tall is all she said about it.

It's playing music. No filtering and no stuffing (only lined the inside of the enclosure with damping material) and only one channel. Too much bass, but good quality, and dynamic. And it goes deep. Mid and treble are unexpected, it sounds pretty good without any form of filter or EQ. Good detail.

I think it's going to be fun with a stereo pair, stuffing tuned and some intelligent EQ/filtering in place.

Don't know why, but while construction is the same as the 12" BIB, there seems to be much more panel vibration of the enclosure. Perhaps the bigger cutout destabilizes it? Or perhaps it's because the 12" has a low-pass filter. That might be it.

I just ran a few measurement sweeps. 20Hz appears to be 1dB down compared to 1kHz. :D

There's a roughly 12dB rounded hump from 20Hz to 100Hz, with some room modes on top. The current location is the corner with most negative influence on linearity, doesn't seem too bad also above 100Hz.

I had some trouble setting up the measurement software and I got some strange errors, so I am not posting this measurement. I will redo a bit later, also give it a little time to play in further, So far very encouraging.

Some measurements. Blue is the bib-thing in a corner, on axis, one meter distance. Green is about 4.5 meters away in the listening position. I matched level of the treble of the listening position to the level of the 1 meter measurement, so it's easier to see the effect of room effect/listening distance. Listening seat is against a rear wall. Plenty of room gain, it turns out...

This is with 480 grams of polyfill, by the way. I should try out more, considering the massive excess of bass.

I have been doing rough EQ with a four band parametric EQ in Volumio (mediaplayer software for raspberry pi which I use as a digital source for my AVR). Works out quite well.

Attachments

• Olsonlurpcornerhotseat.jpg
    Olsonlurpcornerhotseat.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 333
Hey Ivo, just curious how they sound now and if you ever tried them out of the corners but up against the wall... Did they still have the bass hump?

They are still changing, apparently still breaking in. I update DSP/EQ every now and then.

All dialed in to approximately flat response, it actually sounds very "normal". There's beautiful coherence and incredible dynamic range, sounds fade away into deep darkness. But overall, you are listening to a very good reproduction of acoustic sound. Or a warm and endless abyss of reggae bass, whatever I am listening. I like it.

I usually get improvement fever very quickly when I build something new, but not so much now. Different material, neater construction. That's it.

The loudspeakers won't move out of their designated corners, there simply is no practical space to move them to. We did just get a new sofa this week, about 2.5 times as big as the last one. It is about 50cm/20 inches further out from the backwall. I will do a new measurement sometime soon and post it here.