Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I am building a Proa in my livingroom so its very messy.

One in each corner. This is not where i intend to place them. They are to far apart. I just want to test them while building my proa.

You can probably see the other one behind the bookshelf. There is a piano standing in my way so i could not get a better angle.

Johannes.

Your BIBs will bring that room to life with sound.

Yes they do that very easily. They dominate the room-acoustics and greatly damp any room-resonances except the main one between the ceiling and the floor. The bass i "short" and powerful. I should have made the BIBs bigger. Bigger is better as we all know!!! They sound a bit lean when driven directly from the amp. Not bad or lacking anything, just a bit lean. There is absolutely no "boom" or anything excessive in the sound. Just very sharp, fast and high resolution. I run them with a 5 ohm power-resistor between the amp and the driver, and that makes them much smoother and fuller in the sound.

I will post more pictures when i have a high frequency-driver of some sort.

Johannes.

I had reversed one driver..... :eek:

Well, thats very easy to correct, and since doing that they are everything except lean. The have a very powerful and dynamic bass-reproduction.

I have checked the cable several times, but it was wrong inside the BIB so i did not notice from the outside.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The first picture is from my listening position. The other one i closer to one of the speaker.

They are very nice sounding. Lots of very well defined and very powerful bass. Yet they are fast and very detailed.

Johannes.

Okay, heres a question.

Are there any commercial examples of a BIB?

Seems such a shame that there are some spectacular designs that have been ignored.

Well, one of the issues with a commercial version of a BIB, even for smaller drivers could be the first letter of the acronym - "Big" refers to why the enclosures work so well, but would also impact on shipping costs.

Even for goods that are not particularly heavy, (such as say, a 48" tall box of paper backed wood veneer, which is mostly a box of air) "cubed" weights can get very expensive.

Not sure why there are any commercially available BIBs???

Probably to cater non-woodworking / too lazy people.

However I wonder how is this being addressed regarding profit / license / etc. on a "public domain" (not sure about this) design. :scratch:

This one, however having being analyzed some times with MJK's spreadsheets, has not been designed with them so IMO no problem there. Actually who I remember as actively helping the development of the formulas behind it were Greg (GM), and also Scott (Scottmoose). I might have forgotten someone, and I also do not consider making a spreadsheet out of a formula real design work - I myself refined one of them which was in its time hosted in your site.

Since when does WAF dominate sound.

might not dominate the sound, but in my experience can certainly trump choice of what goes where - and that applies to the speakers as well

Have you seen Wilson or Legacy or Avant Garde or Krell or...

I see your point though, i guess at some point the huge sum of money starts to override WAF.

"Honey these speakers are $27,000 and the best money can buy."

"Okay dear but i want a new walk in closet!"

the closet would be the cheapest part - it's the designer frocks and shoes that'll kill ya

or a complete new kitchen reno - even if you can do most of that yourself, the appliances and stone countertops alone could exceed $20,000

The $40k MacBook Pro :D

dave

The joke being that when it was time to update Sue's old desk top XP machine, she cashed in on a work incentive points / discount program and took my and our son's advice to buy a laptop - ended up with a 13" MBP and loves it long time. Once freed from sitting at a desk in an old bedroom office, she realized that ,"gee, if you took down this and one of the other walls, the kitchen would be so much nicer - and think how much money we'd save if you do the general contracting, electrical, and cabinetry yourself".

6months later, waddya know, she was right

I have read that the BIB alignment is forgiving. With that, how much smaller can a cabinet be below it's ideal size. What parameters would you adjust in the BIB calculator? The driver I would like to possibly use requires a huge box (Eminence Beta 12LTA), would I still get bass out of it in a smaller box?

Thanks,
Ed

It is forgiving because it's acoustically quite large referenced to the driver's specs, especially once the room's loading is added; so being tuned so far below Fs where the driver has no control, reducing acoustical loading can severely reduce its power handling below Fs to nothing, ergo a using high pass filter is a good plan.

Also, shrink it too much and there's not enough acoustical loading to smooth out its pipe harmonics without mass quantities of stuffing, reducing it to a large TL with minimal bass if there's not a lot of room gain.

GM