Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

BIBs... Fostex 165k next to the Dayton 5" full ranger. Both are musical and enjoyable. Powered by the Dayton T-amp (which sounds better than the Dayton APA 150 solid state amp). Barely use the Anthem CD player since getting a MacBook Pro. Loving the small footprint BIBs + T-amp + laptop potentially provides in comparison to the amount of SOUND produced.

Attachments

• dayton-bib.JPG
    dayton-bib.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 497
>>> Jeff: outboard DAC, or line out from MBP?

Nothing but a MacBook Pro and Grooveshark.com... haven't listened to a cd in ages!

I can pump out Bob Marley or listen to the Vitamin String Quartet (Vitamin String Quartet), bop around to Aimee Mann or cry along with Brandi Carlile and Missy Higgins... whenever i'm not listening to the Stones.

192 may not be perfect but it sure is listenable and switching around from artist to artist is just great! Over time i select my favorites and get around to purchasing cds to add to my collection... which has reached over 600 at the moment.

I love streaming music and can't believe it's free... but i do believe ultimately the true 'artists' will rise to the top and fill our souls with magical music.

Is it possible to fold The BIB two extra times? 4 chambers instead of 2?

Not actually "chambers" such as in manifold designs by Olsen/Nagoaka et al, and keep in mind the design was predicated on corner / boundary loading at the mouth; if folding to reduce overall height, the bass performance could suffer if the mouth is too far removed from those surfaces

So for normal houses (here in Norway) with ceeling height of 230-240 cm a BiB with a 6,5 inch driver is the maximum possible?

I think you can fold, and go bigger.

I understand it that you can fold as you like ... No folds, or lots of folds ... Three folds, four folds ... IF you just keep the mouth near a corner. Then it works as intended. (Otherwise you lose some bass. But it still works somewhat ...)

(As I understand it, the challenge is if we fold it 4 times, the cabinet may end up being, say, 1.2m tall ... if the mouth is on top, then it's too far from the ceiling to interact with the corner. Then you could try inverting the BIB, pointing it at the floor-corner ... but then the speaker driver may be in a silly place. But there are more than one places along the line to put the driver ... I'm sure it can be worked out somehow.)

No, it just means that ignoring the pipe's boundary loading that will lower its actual tuning, you're limited to a ~18 Hz minimum tuning for a two fold layout. The driver's size per se is irrelevant and its Fs only comes becomes a consideration if you want to tune it to Fs or you subscribe to the opinion that a horn should not be driven below it.

Obviously, the driver's size and low distortion excursion limit will determine peak SPL over much/all of the BIB's loading BW same as any vented box design and in theory the lowest tuning frequency shouldn't be < Fs*Qts/2, but the closer one sits and the more room boundary loading there is, the less these are a consideration in a HIFI app. For HT though, best to use a separate sub system unless some form of high pass filter is used and/or the driver is rated for true sub duty.

TC's original BIB ~conical pipe horn [actually parabolic due to how it’s laid out] is based on the fact that a horn must be acoustically 1/2 WL long to load down to its Fc = [Fl*Fh]^0.5 or a ~1 WL axial length, so Fs/4 is the real world absolute minimum tuning to my way of thinking.

GM

I have Zilla's BIB calculator and have a few questions

My Fs is 32Hz on my 10" subwoofer, I'm assuming if I go full BiB it will be tuned
one octave below that to 16 Hz? :eek: I can adjust the size of the BiB to 8 feet tall which fits available plywood dimensions much easier. I just change the Fs higher of the woofer until I get 8 feet. Is this correct or will it screw up how the BiB operates? I'm limited to 8 feet tall since the rafters in the garage will get in the way.

My woofer is 88dB at one watt, what gain in efficiency would I hear by using a
BiB as a strict subwoofer? I need to bump the efficiency up to 94dB at one watt
to get closer to my garage speaker efficiency.

Just covering all my options, I'm assuming a BiB would be about as efficient as a
ported speaker but the design is to lower the tuning of the box? :confused:

Correct, the math calculates the net Vb, then varying length sets its mouth area. This 'sub' BIB will give you some idea what to expect if you XO it at its 3rd harmonic dip and just lightly line two of its sides to keep it from sounding hollow: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...se-fostex-craft-handbooks-81.html#post1233885

Obviously, if you want a higher XO point, then the damping required to smooth it out will reduce LF output considerably unless there's a room peak to fill in the big dip.

GM

Thank you very much, GM :)

OK, I figured out the BiB and will tuck it away for future builds. Alas, it is not loud enough to match but would be very interesting for deep bass. The BiB seems ideal for a 4" full range with helper tweeter for a large "desk" speaker with a subwoofer.

Although not what I need for the garage, it seems like the hot setup for my desk. Will work for BiB?

You're welcome!

Indeed, I built Av=Sd vented pipe horns for use with up to 500 Hz XOs using 'el cheapo' 'RadioShaque' to Altec cinema horn drivers with up to ~106 dB efficiency in-room. I've occasionally tried to generate interest in them, but to date, no one has tried them AFAIK and now that tapped horns are the 'hot ticket', just moving the driver to the BIB's internal divider converts it.

GM

GM,

Thanks for sharing - I entered the parameters for a 6.5" MA woofer (Fs 33 Hz, Vas 37 ltr, Qts 0.38) in the BIB calculator, and with the help of your hint on Sm area, have been able to come up with slightly less intimidating height vs the original.

As a noob I have no skills in modeling... so a bit apprehensive on what type of output would a smallish driver with ~5 mm excursion be able to achieve? I am seeking ~90 dB .

-Zia