Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

Scottmoose said:
The Flat6............

Greg, any thoughts?

Greets!

I have no experience with Corals other than the few specs and cab designs folks are pleased with, so historically I recommend a ~worst case (large) cab with a vent that allows it to either be lengthened if tuned too high or stuffed with foam/whatever to damp it down.

BIBs are a bit different though, so the 'stock' BIB length/driver location with a ~265"^2 Sm (W x D = ~13.687" x 19.375") would be my choice.

GM

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: Re hemp 8 BIB

Jim G said:
I built the 200 sq inch BIB for the hemp 8 and love that driver.

Thanx for the report, Jim. The Hemp drivers get a lot of good "buzz."

Maybe I should build a pair using hemp drivers, hemp MDF for the box, hemp fabric for grill cloth, and finsih them off with a decoupage of pretty hemp paper. Then sell them to the hemp store.

I do live on Maui, you know. :D

>>> Note that Godzilla's overlay is invalid because he did not adjust the vertical scale for the red curve to the other curves…

I just lined up the 100 at the bottom and the 90 on the left. I put my ‘invalid’ chart side by side with the one you made, Dave, and it looks about the same. Close enough anyways.

Peace,
Godzilla

PS. Comments about the ‘tone’ in the Hemp’s midrange is exciting to hear about especially since the ‘tone’ of Fostex’s midrange is already delish!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re hemp 8 BIB

panomaniac said:
Maybe I should build a pair using hemp drivers, hemp MDF for the box, hemp fabric for grill cloth, and finsih them off with a decoupage of pretty hemp paper. Then sell them to the hemp store.

I do live on Maui, you know.

Better lay in some Maui Wowie for that too (do not attempt to operate a saw under the influence)

dave

Hi Paul, Some of the Canadian ply is not bad.I didn't see any voids when making cuts.I don't have any buzzing etc. maybe just luck. No choice anyway. I usually use 13 ply baltic birch but that comes in 5'x5' sheets so,too small. I don't like MDF so went for the plywood. You could always go with MDF and if you like the design as much as I do it's pretty easy to build another pair with better material. The only damping I have is some 1/2" felt on the divider behind the driver from just below the driver up to the point plus a fist sized ball of polyester jammed into the point and a piece of felt on the floor of the enclosure. No problem with mid-high coming out the mouth. I'm sure there is some but pointed toward the ceiling I don't hear anything amiss. Thanks to Scott, Greg and MJK the design is very good. BIB sound has a quality of it's own. Even at low volume bass has impact.

Jim G.

Re: Re: Fostex FE103 BIB's - a few pics.

gychang said:

Leonard: how did u make the oval "false baffle"? did u use a somesort of a jig?, formula?

I have a jigsaw and would like to duplicate your design.

gychang

Hello

I just experimented with 2 nails and a piece of string tied inta a 'loop' and traced the outline with the string 'loop' going around the two nails - I moved the nails further apart or closer together and lengthened or shortened the sting 'loop' until I got the shape I wanted when I traced the outline.

One thing I learned is that you should clamp the two pieces together before cutting so that you are making both pieces at the same time. otherwise, it is difficult to get two pieces that are exactly the same with a jigsaw. Mine were not quite the same but it would take a very good eye to see that.

I thought the oval suited the box.

good luck

Leonard

Fostex FE103 BIB's - a few pics.

leonardc said:

I just experimented with 2 nails and a piece of string tied inta a 'loop' and traced the outline with the string 'loop' going around the two nails - I moved the nails further apart or closer together and lengthened or shortened the sting 'loop' until I got the shape I wanted when I traced the outline.

One thing I learned is that you should clamp the two pieces together before cutting so that you are making both pieces at the same time.

Leonard

I am not able to visualize exactly... any website that gave u the idea?

thanks, looks great.

gychang