Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

Greg's B200 ML TQWT is somewhere on this monster thread. I'll try to dig it out.

The amps look fine. The horn kit you link to is similar to a Nagaoka design I remember. Not having the dimensions, I can't pass comment, other than to note that it's unlikely to go very low. Fostex FE206E in Ron's Dallas II, FE207E in Bruce V1.1 double horn (see near the end of the Spawn of Frugelhorn thread) or the FE208ESigma in the Factory cabinet would be my choice for a regular horn. Meantime, I'll try to dig out the dims of Greg's B200 MLTQWT

Re: Re: I cut wood today

mrpopgun said:
Lon, why not use a router with a Jasper jig (as talked about earlier in the thread)? You don't even have to buy the jig, just make one yourself - a piece of formica or thin kerf of something dimensionally stable that attaches to your router base and has holes for nails at measured distances out from the bit.

This technique does not work if the speaker opening is smallish, so I had to buy the Jasper with my 6" speaker. the Jasper works great.

gychang

mrpopgun said:
Lon, why not use a router with a Jasper jig (as talked about earlier in the thread)? You don't even have to buy the jig, just make one yourself - a piece of formica or thin kerf of something dimensionally stable that attaches to your router base and has holes for nails at measured distances out from the bit. drive the nail into the center of the circle through the right spot in the jig and simply route it out with a plunge router. No wobbles.

Is it possible to do this with a non-plunge router? I have a really nice Milwaukee router, but not a plunge. I've been contemplating this, any thoughts on how it might work?

Thanks!

Found it on page 13.

L = 113.38"
SO = 2.036"^2
SL = 265.464"^2
xO = 0.6825 (77.38")
density = 0.2 lbs/ft^3
rp = 3.25"
lp = 1.5"

Rounding these to the nearest easy values, and using Greg's nifty little Excel sheet to get a conical profile, not that it really matters much in this case as it's mass-loaded, will give you a line length of 113.5in, Zdriver of 77.5in, an internal depth of 19.5in (not including the sloping internal baffle), internal width of 13.5in, with a 3.25in diameter, 1.5in long port. I'd do this one inverted, so the driver stays at a reasonable ear height, with the port near the floor. Should be a cracking system. Big and musical.

Merci

Dear Scottmoose

you are great
sounds crazy and sorry maybe I'm dammed stupid, as all bl..nde
>>Greg's nifty little Excel sheet

is it anywaz on these zillion pages
or may I send him email

it's 00:39 going to bed now

Régine

a bit red wine and pizzas
so l I do gess l= Lenght

but the rest what the hell does it mean
no idea in the moment
and density oh my dear
>>
L = 113.38"
SO = 2.036"^2 ??? inches and a fraction
SL = 265.464"^2
xO = 0.6825 (77.38")
density = 0.2 lbs/ft^3
rp = 3.25"
lp = 1.5"

most books I do read are german,
have to be french and years of Speakerbuilder somerwhere
in my old flat .......no keen
do dig them out

Re: FR125s

maxdd_nj said:
Anyone here using the FR125s in a BIB?
What are your impressions? Is the bass obnoxious?

I have a pair of FR125 BIB's (now sitting idle, as I'm playing with a pair of Hemps in BR boxes). They're certainly not light on bass! My room has a pretty bad peak at 40 Hz, and the BIB's excite that peak very well. It's a kick to get a huge bass sound out of such tiny drivers, but it can get to be a bit too much. Probably more a fault of my room than of the speakers.

The Hemps can have some of the same problem, but have a little more flexibility in positioning since they don't need to right back up against the wall and that can help.

mrpopgun said:
Lon, why not use a router with a Jasper jig (as talked about earlier in the thread)? You don't even have to buy the jig, just make one yourself - a piece of formica or thin kerf of something dimensionally stable that attaches to your router base and has holes for nails at measured distances out from the bit. drive the nail into the center of the circle through the right spot in the jig and simply route it out with a plunge router. No wobbles.

Thanks for answering. The Hole saw has served me well
through a number of builds including a line array of 8
drivers. I have no router. But what I do have is
a roto zip device which can hold router bits. The roto
zip device also has a circle jig which I plan to use
on larger cutouts.

I'm familiar with the Jasper over the years of reading
this forum. I'd like to get a good router some day.

Hi folks,

Just wondering out aloud here. How would a modern coax like this seas sound in BIB, with an active crossover....food for thought maybe?

Maybe the sound of the thing tonally is not great but hey!... I don't seem to find too much on it tonally. There was some interest in it last year on some threads. Nothing in BIB though.

* power handling (continuous/programme) = 80/250 W
* resonance frequency fs = 38 Hz
* impedance R = 8 Ohm
* sound pressure level SPL = 87 dB (2,83V; 1m)
* DC resistance Re = 6,1 Ohm
* effective piston radiating area Sd = 120 cm2
* equivalent volume of compliance Vas = 27 l
* total Q factor Qts = 0,3 (Qms=1,11, Qes=0,41)
* maximum peak linear excursion vibration xlin = +/- 3 mm
* mounting diameter d = 145 mm
* overall diameter d = 176 mm
* mounting depth (not countersunk) t = 95 mm

Cheers Stroop

Re: Re: Re: I cut wood today

loninappleton said:

But what I do have is
a roto zip device which can hold router bits. The roto
zip device also has a circle jig which I plan to use
on larger cutouts.

I do everything with a rotozip and circular saw. If you haven't purchased the rotozip circle guides yet, don't. I bought the CRCT 2, and it frustrated me so much, I called them. They sent me a CRCT 1 for free, which is marginally better. They don't work well with 3/4" ply or mdf, despite making nice holes with something like 1/2" chipboard. I find I can cut a much nicer hole free hand. It takes a bit of practice, but it is much less frustrating. I also use a 1/4" roundover bit in it for edges. I, too, hope to get a real router someday, but the rotozip is sure fast and cheap. YMMV.

Paul

stroop said:
Hi folks,

Just wondering out aloud here. How would a modern coax like this seas sound in BIB, with an active crossover....food for thought maybe?

Maybe the sound of the thing tonally is not great but hey!... I don't seem to find too much on it tonally. There was some interest in it last year on some threads. Nothing in BIB though.

* power handling (continuous/programme) = 80/250 W
* resonance frequency fs = 38 Hz
* impedance R = 8 Ohm
* sound pressure level SPL = 87 dB (2,83V; 1m)
* DC resistance Re = 6,1 Ohm
* effective piston radiating area Sd = 120 cm2
* equivalent volume of compliance Vas = 27 l
* total Q factor Qts = 0,3 (Qms=1,11, Qes=0,41)
* maximum peak linear excursion vibration xlin = +/- 3 mm
* mounting diameter d = 145 mm
* overall diameter d = 176 mm
* mounting depth (not countersunk) t = 95 mm

Cheers Stroop

Actually, I sent Dan some dimensions for one of these a few months back -sort of budget Maxxhorn. Do you still have the dimensions Dan?

Hi Folks,

The other one that has had good things said about it is this ciare hx160. The driver is not big on bass, but seeing the BIB is, then maybe BIB is an ideal enclosure. I understand that it is getting good reports on some German forums.

Resonanzfrequenz: 70 Hz
Gütefaktoren(Qms/Qes/Qts): 5,14 / 0,45 / 0,42
Äquivalenzvolumen(Vas): 16 Liter
Effektive Membranfläche(Sd): 135 cm²
Antriebsfaktor(BL): 6,56 Wbm
Schwingspulenüberhang(Xmax): 1,75 mm

I've just been looking around at some drivers that maybe suitable for BIB, for fun...if it is annoying for you Scott then just say so! Especiially since you're doing all the calculations.

Cheers Stroop

Scott

That was the PHL 1240TWX. We agreed the FE168 played 'bigger.'

This PHL would be THE 6.5" coaxial to use. I am still thinking about this one....If they are anything like the bigger PHL's, which I had recently heard in EAW midfield monitors at PowerStation in LA, they would be great. Fantastic pedigree, these things..

The $8,000.00 Maxxhorn uses exactly this PHL coaxial, and the XO could be easily found by Googling. Constantine Soo gave it a great write up in Dagogo. We could easily better that by building ...The Max-Klone... using this driver, vertical loading, and good 13X marine grade.

I will attempt to find that email...

I am hoping I can get cabinet specs for my Veravox drivers. I'm not positive what I will do, but hoping to get these so I have them as an option. I have a feeling these could be quite good in a BIB.

Here's a link with some questions regarding this driver and potential cabs, if anyone would care to offer anything.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=90794

And here are the specs for the BIB cab.

size: 18cm
db 2.8v: 93
Z: 8
Re: 5.9
Le mH: .03
Ce F: .82
Fs: 56
Vas: 33
Qms: 3.6
Qes: .58
Qts: .50
Xmax: ±1

Thanks so much for anything you'd care to offer.
Layne