Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

Re: Fostex FE103 BIB's - a few pics.

leonardc said:
I finally finished a pair for my sister.

I took them over on the weekend.

Here they outside of their new home-
http://www.ssimicro.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=36836&g2_navId=x966fea48

in the room-
http://www.ssimicro.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=36830&g2_navId=x966fea48

a bit closer look at one-
http://www.ssimicro.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=36834&g2_navId=x966fea48

Overall they sound great with an unbelievable amount of good bass out of the tiny fe103's.

I was surprised at the different accoustics between her house and mine. I have concrete floors and not much in the way of furnishings or rugs, her place has a suspended wooden subfloor with laminate flooring and is the opposite of my 'sparse' decor.

At my place they were very bright at hers they are not.

Absolutely great bang for the buck tho - 2 fe103's, a t-amp, a cheap philips dvd player and less than a sheet of 3/4" plywood and you have good sound for under 250-

add a cheap 'pre-t' (see tnt audio for details) for about another 100 and you can hook in your tv and ipod or sat radio or whatever.

you will have better than average home theatre sound as well.

all in all a great bargain, thanks to everyone for making this design available.

Leonard

Do you mind sharing the dimension that you used, I like the proportion of the width and the depth.

Am planning to build a pair for my Fostex FE127e.

Thanks.

Just a hypothetical....maybe

Quick question for any of the BIB experts. If a person had two Lab-12's and was getting cold feet on the woodworking required for the PSW LabSub, could a BIB be anything CLOSE to a reasonable sized unit???? BTW very slowly adding finish to the TangBand BIBs. (I like them for listening too much to make time to add the finish, LOL) P.S. I added a piezo tweeter to mine and I really like the added zing up top.

Re: Just a hypothetical....maybe

brucedal1 said:
Quick question for any of the BIB experts. If a person had two Lab-12's and was getting cold feet on the woodworking required for the PSW LabSub, could a BIB be anything CLOSE to a reasonable sized unit????

I guess they would not be much bigger than a couple of family sized regifrigerators :D

I see there is a thread "BBBIB Bigger Badder BIB Speaker" in the "conventional" Loudspeaker section.

SveinB.

Re: Just a hypothetical....maybe

Greets!

Sorry, I can't decide what you're asking. If you mean how big does a BIB have to be to ~match a LAB sub's output or its distortion level, it won't no matter how big you make it. If you mean how well will it work if turned into a BIB except loaded with its compression chamber, it will be more rolled off on the bottom end and have more HF BW to filter out, so for a given hF10/whatever, it will need a steeper XO point. If you mean what size would a LAB12 BIB be, then assuming a ~80 Hz XO point:

L = 180"
Sm = 220"^2 (recommend 12.4375" W x 17.687" D)
zdriver = 39.06"

Once EQ'd ~flat in-room, a pair of corners loaded with these will probably make you wonder why you even considered all that fancy woodworking for a HIFI/HT app. Note too that since this is a sub, there's no need to stand it up vertically, so they can be laid down along the front wall firing into the corner(s)/diagonally opposite corners/whatever.

FWIW, the various pipe 'subs' I did for folks were often used as speaker/TV platforms or placed behind the listening position to do shelf duty or be hidden if the distance was about right to time align at the XO point. For HT it can be a stage or seat riser and I've read some folks use them as bed platforms for bedroom systems. And of course you can put both drivers in one BIB by increasing the width/depth dims to 17.625" W x 24.9375" D, or fold it into thirds to make it more LABhorn shaped.

Since these are fairly efficient and can handle all its rated power down to at least 20 Hz, these will need to be very rigid/damped, so 19 mm Baltic Birch or Apple ply laminated with a 13 mm MDF 'skin' and some ~1" hardwood dowel 'X' braces at the mouth is required. If it's to be carpeted or hidden away out of sight, you can skin it with cheaper particle, chip, or flake board or one of the sound absorbing insulation boards, which all have increasingly superior damping qualities, but more labor intensive/costly to fine finish if in full view.

Anyway, lots of shape/positioning/finishing options with BIB subs.

GM

Attachments

• labhorn driver 'sub' t.c. bib done in blh ws.jpg
    labhorn driver 'sub' t.c. bib done in blh ws.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 515
GM said:
Greets!
It's basically a 'bulletproofed' version of Adire (Avatar) Audio's early version Shiva sub driver so it can withstand the heat/pressure of a relatively high CR horn at sustained high average power: http://www.prosoundweb.com/lsp/
GM

Ah. Cheers Greg. Looks like it should shift a decent amount of air to me... be a heck of a system.

Scottmoose said:

Another option though that could be very interesting: the Tang Band W4 1320SB bamboo coned 4" drivers. Their specs look excellent (and that's a real compliment, coming from me), and perfect for a scaled down version of this TQWT (they look cool too!). They cost $40 each, about mid-way between the Pioneer and the Fostex, so could be achievable on a small budget.

Try with these cabinet dimensions (assuming 3/4" build material) of: external depth: 10 1/2". External width: 5 1/2". Cabinet height of 60" and an overall line length of 120". Driver mounted 31 1/2" from the base. That's a bit long for them, but the original cabinet was over-long for the RS drivers, and as these Tang Bands have a very considerable 3mm Xmax, they should be OK with the load, and also have enough excursion to produce reasonable bass. I'd guess a cut-off point of around 40Hz in-room -not bad for a little 4" driver methinks. In fact -I think I'll buy a couple myself and give it a whirl. And no, I'm not joking!

Scott

Scott: did u get to try this?, I am interested in driving it with my amp6BASIC...

gychang

Scottmoose said:

Top budget honours in my book at this time go to those Monacor 5" jobs. Nice mid Q, and they cost all of $18US. Can't go wrong really at that price, and I gather our German friends love them to death -they shift more of those than any other full-range driver.

where can I get them in US?, is there a website for the deminsion of BIB for this driver?

thanks,

gychang

I don't think Monacor have US distribution, but there's plenty of international sellers. Spectrum Audio & Wilmslow Audio for example. Monacor's own site should have some links too www.monacor.com

They should drop straight into Terry Cain's original enclosure without any problems. I've done a version specifically tailored for them though which is on the 'Zilla site: www.zillaspeak.com/bib.asp -go to the Monacor button.

Lab-Bib

GM - Thanks that was exactly what I was hoping for. BTW when you said "turned into a bib except loaded with it's compression chamber" did you mean just put it in like a regular bib?? Or some sort of compression chamber built for the back/front of the speaker and vented into the bib? If the former can do, if the latter would I use a sealed chamber of some specific volume and mount THAT to a cut out in the Z=39.09" spot?
As an aside, should I post this in subwoofers as it's certainly not a fullrange project?

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Ok!

Got some cool ideas from around here! Here's the plan, I'm gonna make a BIB bass horn that forms the underside of my day bed/couch. I've got 200cm x 80cmx 30cm to play with and I intend to use the Monacor sph-165cp boxed according to zilla site recomendations.

It'll be laying horizontally firing into a corner about 1.5metres away. I intend to cross it over at about 80-90hz with Fe108ez metronomes. It'll be powered by a T-amp or something D class.

I understand that bass becomes non directional at about 70hz so it shouldn't matter that I'll be sitting on it right?!(':dodgy:')

Am I good to go???!!!!(':smash:')

Stroop

Re: Lab-Bib

brucedal1 said:
GM - Thanks that was exactly what I was hoping for. BTW when you said "turned into a bib except loaded with it's compression chamber" did you mean just put it in like a regular bib?? Or some sort of compression chamber built for the back/front of the speaker and vented into the bib? If the former can do, if the latter would I use a sealed chamber of some specific volume and mount THAT to a cut out in the Z=39.09" spot?
As an aside, should I post this in subwoofers as it's certainly not a fullrange project?

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Greets!

I was referring to adding a simple one fold conical horn to a LABhorn style dual driver compression unit in lieu of its folded ~hyperbolic one. In essence, either the 'pointy' end of the 'BIB' would house the drivers/initial throat expansion or this composite compression driver can be inserted at some point along its length like the mids in a Unity concept horn.

Yes, this would need to be pursued either in the subwoofer forum and/or over on the HE forum: http://64.154.92.195/scripts/etv.pl?forum=hug

GM

stroop said:
Am I good to go???!!!!

Greets!

Hmm, 1.5 m is a reflected pathlength of ~115 Hz, so at a glance, this isn't a good plan unless you put something there to damp around this frequency, which will require a fairly large absorber, otherwise it will comb filter with the main's output and can't be effectively EQ'd.

Where bass becomes non-directional depends on the room dims combined with the speaker's and listener's location, so no 'one frequency fits all' solution unfortunately. Since you'll be sitting on it though, you'll be in the nearfield due to the long WLs, so the issue becomes the XO BW above its point since they are getting progressively smaller, ergo the higher the order, the better overall.

Also, when you start doing this type of offset, either the distance from the sub driver to the mains woofer needs to be a function of the XO's point, slope and/or you'll need a continually adjustable phase on the sub's amp and possibly digital time delay, otherwise it will sound 'disconnected' from the mains. For example, 90 Hz/2nd order:

~13,560"/90/(360/180) = ~75.33"

GM

Hi GM,

Thanks for the reply! hmm....I guess it'd be better to make it active, maybe use a hypex module or a thel active crossover or something. The room isn't so big, say 12feet x 18 feet - 4m x 6m. It does have 10ft 3m ceilings though. I could always turn it around use the other wall (I have 2 day beds in a corner configuration), that corner is more like 3m away.... It would be simpler/better to make it a sealed or ported box perhaps. I could always search for other horn designs other than BIB.

I basically want it to give the best quality fill in bass for the metronomes I'm going to build. I want beautiful clear double bass notes you see....

I must say that I do prefer the lower notes to come from the same place as the higher ones.

Stroop