Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

Re: coral curves, hot of the press

arustyrednail said:

please visit picasaweb.google.com/arustyrednail coral project album for the
curves.........

Greets!

Heck of a rising response, so toeing in seems the order of the day. So, did you get their specs measured? I mean a response plot doesn't tell us anything to help design a cab.

GM

coral 4A-70 - t/s parameters....

hi,

sometimes forget own head ....

did a little reading around - will ask for vas, re, qms, qes, qts.... and impedance vs freq... those are the key values?

some good news though, a technician friend at the local university has made friends with the tech in the acoustics dept - may well be able to make use of his skills in iterative testing and refinement of speakers as they develop. get some nice rich data for the thread to chew on (the dept has a full anechoic chamber....)

one step at a time,

will report, cheers, a

Re: Help with 208Esigma/T90 BIB

ChrisMmm said:
Been enjoying my 208/t90 BIBs for some time now but with changing amps I have a problem I am trying to address.

Recently I built a Tubelab Simple SE. This is an amazing amp and with KT88 tubes incredibly dynamic acorss the whole range. However this setup has revealed an upper mid glare that detracts from the overall sound. The drivers are well run in and I have cut back the T90 and even taken it out of circuit but the anomaly remains. Changing tubes reduces it somewhat but also reduces the incredible dynamics of the KT88s.

I know my room is very "live" with lots of hard surfaces which does not help.

A friend found this which is helpful:
"Full range speaker setups can be a bit peaky on the upper midrange. In fact I have much the same issue myself. It can be an on axis issue associated with beaming from the sharp cone profile of the driver. It can be an artifact of the baffle suddenly disappearing. It can be an issue with the back wave reinforcing front wave at a critical point - in this case it is likely that there will be dips either side of the peak making it sound even worse.
Unfortunately the better the amp the more you are likely to notice these artifacts of your speakers.
Shoog"

Do those with these drivers (or anybody else) have the same issues? Have you managed to deal with it? I would be grateful for any help here.

Hi Chris, I had not checked the thread for awhile. You have helped me. Now I have something I might be able to help you with. A 0.25mH coil!

My amp is a Cary Rocket 88 which also uses KT88s. I have loved my 208/T90A BIBs more and more as time goes on, but when I had my princess and the pea fits, I think I was hearing the 3.7kHz cone break up mode that Dick Olsher mentions in his plans for The BassZilla which uses the Fostex 208 sigma. I think I had my speaker/ listening positions just so, to eq down that part of the spectum.

I tried the triangle suspended in the 2nd chamber of the horn. I made a long one, and put a lot of padding on it at first. It just reduced the wonderful dynamics, and I removed it. Later, I removed most of the padding, and suspended it so that it was not touching the cab itself. I think that helped. The excessive mid-range did not bother me on really good recordings, but did bother more on lesser recordings.

At last, I went to an "audiophile party' several weeks ago, and mentioned my "complaint" to Kara of dehavland amps, who was there. She played with a calculator for awhile, and told me to try a 16 gauge 0.25mH coil in series with the plus lead of the 208. I ordered a pair from Madisound for $5.30 each. It had been "the cats meow" for me! Maybe later I can replace them with a more heavy gauge, more botique coil. Now I can concentrate on bass, image, depth, etc. in speaker/listening placement.

I still only have my ears to measure with, but I really recomend the 0.25mH inductor, and its cheap.

Sincerely,

Benjamin

Build a BIB in a Day! (SE Qld, Australia)

Speaker builders in northern NSW or SE Queensland may be interested in a proposal for a working GTG at Greenie512's place.
He has a well-equipped workshop with a table saw, etc.

The object? To bring along a pair of FR drivers and the necessary ply/MDF, and to rough build a pair of BIB's (screws, not glue) and then spend the afternoon / evening sitting back at a comparative listening session.

The object is to provide a BIB experience to those who may not have built a speaker before. (Let's face it. They're pretty simple!)

www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php?p=213668#post213668

Perhaps others might be interested to take up this concept in their local area? We could have an "International Build-a-BIB Day"! Any takers ...

cheers

Doug

Re: Re: Help with 208Esigma/T90 BIB

BenjaminWebber said:

Hi Chris, I had not checked the thread for awhile. You have helped me. Now I have something I might be able to help you with. A 0.25mH coil!

My amp is a Cary Rocket 88 which also uses KT88s. I have loved my 208/T90A BIBs more and more as time goes on, but when I had my princess and the pea fits, I think I was hearing the 3.7kHz cone break up mode that Dick Olsher mentions in his plans for The BassZilla which uses the Fostex 208 sigma. I think I had my speaker/ listening positions just so, to eq down that part of the spectum.

I tried the triangle suspended in the 2nd chamber of the horn. I made a long one, and put a lot of padding on it at first. It just reduced the wonderful dynamics, and I removed it. Later, I removed most of the padding, and suspended it so that it was not touching the cab itself. I think that helped. The excessive mid-range did not bother me on really good recordings, but did bother more on lesser recordings.

At last, I went to an "audiophile party' several weeks ago, and mentioned my "complaint" to Kara of dehavland amps, who was there. She played with a calculator for awhile, and told me to try a 16 gauge 0.25mH coil in series with the plus lead of the 208. I ordered a pair from Madisound for $5.30 each. It had been "the cats meow" for me! Maybe later I can replace them with a more heavy gauge, more botique coil. Now I can concentrate on bass, image, depth, etc. in speaker/listening placement.

I still only have my ears to measure with, but I really recomend the 0.25mH inductor, and its cheap.

Sincerely,

Benjamin

Benjamin,

When you mention replacing the "16 gauge 0.25mH coil in series with the plus lead of the 208," with "a more heavy gauge, more botique coil" did you, or have you, asked about why she was so specific about the 16 AWG coil? Many times a crossover is designed with a certain gauge coil in order to have a higher DCR which can save on parts count and yet kills two birds with one stone. I'd ask for her opinion before going to a larger gauge coil.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Botique Coil

Thanks Terry. I did ask her about a more botique coil. Her advice was to worry about getting the right amount of inductance first. I think 0.25mH is the right amount. I knew the peak was somewhere between 3200Hz and 4000Hz, but could not remember exactly was I talked to Kara. I discused the matter with someone at Madisound before ordering, thinking maybe I would try about 3 sets of coils, one bigger, and one smaller, etc. The guy who helped me gave me a formula, did the calculation himself, looking at the Fostex FR for the 208. He said, "Wow, she is right on the money!" He also said his opinion was that getting the right inductance was most important. So, I just ordered the 0.25mH coils for $5.30 each. They sound right to me. I guess that is what matters most.

Do you think the Goertz air foil inductors of 12 awg at $27.00 each would offer any significant improvment?

Sincerely,

Benjamin

Calculations for vintage FR drivers in a BIB?

Hi,
I'm wondering if it's possible to back-calculate the BIB dimensions for a vintage driver.
What I have is:
Diameter of driver:8"
Res Freq: "between 30Hz and 45Hz"
The dimensions of a ported cabinet, including port dimensions: See attached.
20 W, 94dB.

Attachments

• 8cxbox.jpg
    8cxbox.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 375
8cx - i think its a coral

hi brisso 57,

just read the post about your 8 inch driver... next on my shopping list from axent audio... assuming this is an eight inch driver with a small hornloaded tweeter attached, link to more coral info in one of my earlier posts in this thread. will be interested to see how your project develops.

my coral 4a-70 still lingering at axent waiting to have its t/s values determined....

thanks gm for your patience with new folk on the forum

bon voyage, a

Re: 8cx - i think its a coral

arustyrednail said:
hi brisso 57,

just read the post about your 8 inch driver... next on my shopping list from axent audio... assuming this is an eight inch driver with a small hornloaded tweeter attached, link to more coral info in one of my earlier posts in this thread. will be interested to see how your project develops.

Yes. That's the one.
PM me if you like.

cheers

Doug

GM said:
Greets!

Not really without an accurate measured frequency response, but doing a forum search yielded some measured specs to work with: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=84036

GM

Thanks GM.

Well using the estimated/measured TS data for my Peak 8CX50's, when I fed them to the BIB spreadsheet, I got ...

86" tall
20.5" deep
14.5"wide

Yow! ... MONSTERS!

WAF = zero!

**** I also have a pair of 10CX50's. I dare not even calculate! :-(

You're welcome!

Hmm, I used the specs from the link and came up with a bit shorter pipe. Regardless, a higher tuning with less gain can be calc'd, though as in any alignment where the cab is too small for the BW, it may require some BSC which of course limits dynamics a bit.

Anyway, using a Fs to get TC's 'standard' 69" i.d. folded height and shrinking it by cutting Vas in half, it's still fairly large due to its relatively high Qts with a 10.2" i.d. width, 14.43" i.d. depth, but still has solid output into the 30s with some room gain as long as you don't play them at 'Headbanger Ball' SPLs.

GM

GM said:
You're welcome!

Hmm, I used the specs from the link and came up with a bit shorter pipe. Regardless, a higher tuning with less gain can be calc'd, though as in any alignment where the cab is too small for the BW, it may require some BSC which of course limits dynamics a bit.

Anyway, using a Fs to get TC's 'standard' 69" i.d. folded height and shrinking it by cutting Vas in half, it's still fairly large due to its relatively high Qts with a 10.2" i.d. width, 14.43" i.d. depth, but still has solid output into the 30s with some room gain as long as you don't play them at 'Headbanger Ball' SPLs.

GM

It's looking more feasible.
GM, what's the appropriate Zdriver for this modified spec?

cheers

Doug

Re: Build a BIB in a Day! (SE Qld, Australia)

Brisso57 said:
Speaker builders in northern NSW or SE Queensland may be interested in a proposal for a working GTG at Greenie512's place.
He has a well-equipped workshop with a table saw, etc.

The object? To bring along a pair of FR drivers and the necessary ply/MDF, and to rough build a pair of BIB's (screws, not glue) and then spend the afternoon / evening sitting back at a comparative listening session.

The object is to provide a BIB experience to those who may not have built a speaker before. (Let's face it. They're pretty simple!)

www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php?p=213668#post213668

Perhaps others might be interested to take up this concept in their local area? We could have an "International Build-a-BIB Day"! Any takers ...

cheers

Doug

The idea is taking off!
So far we have 4 interested BIB-builders with 4 different FR drivers.

With the workshop space available at Greenie's, we can probably accommodate an additional two participants. PM us.

cheers

Doug

Alex from Oz said:
G'day Doug,

You may want to include this.

As a contribution to "International Build-a-BIB Day", I would be prepared to make up some EnABL sheets for you to try.

PM me if you are interested.

Cheers,

Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks but I think we'll be pressed to just get the basic BIB's built, including stuffing. It's a one-day project. The second half of the day will be spent listening and im-BIB-ing (ho ho ho!)

:)

Can you get an event organised in your part of the world?

Doug