Make the room part of the horn - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2005, 08:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Make the room part of the horn

The drawing shows just the basic idea, do not criticize proportions, etc. It is a slim and very tall enclosure with a folded horn and the opening at the top. When mounted in the corner of the room, the ceiling and the two adjacent walls would form the last section of the horn. I think the radiation from the top corner of the room would have an adequate pattern.
The cross section of the enclosure might be square or maybe right triangular, though this one would be harder to build.
I am a novice, but am really excited about it and intend to try and experiment with it in the next couple of months, unless you tell me it sure won't fly.
Thanks,
Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg big horn.jpg (19.1 KB, 1224 views)
Old 17th October 2005, 11:37 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I don't know whether you've seen this site, but your idea looks very similar to this.

http://melhuish.org/audio/DIYTQ8.html

Lots of good ideas and helpful mathematical programs to help you design a good horn.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Good luck with the project.
Old 17th October 2005, 02:25 PM   #3
Onur is offline Onur  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Onur Send a message via MSN to Onur
Default why think in 2D

I have this design of mine which is using the floor and the side walls as the part of the horn, just like Motorola horn tweeters.

Since you can not shape the walls by means of a mathematical function, you give the enclosure a shape that it will work as a horn when it is placed at the corner.

But the question is, is it easy to find two perfect corners in every house?

(A picture will follow)

Onur
Old 17th October 2005, 03:20 PM   #4
Ropie is offline Ropie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Make the room part of the horn

I see what you're trying to do but isn't this the aim of any horn design anyway? Still, it looks like a design worth building and experimenting with
Old 17th October 2005, 03:51 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

A big horn at the corner of the room acts like a Helmholtz resonator, wright? I imagine you will have to study the room's response after designing it. Intuitivelly, that is.

Good luck!
Old 17th October 2005, 05:55 PM   #6
Onur is offline Onur  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Onur Send a message via MSN to Onur
Default Here is the Picture

Maybe it may clerify what I was trying to say. The dark spot is directed towards one of the corners of the listening room. At a certain distance form the end point is the speaker unit. It is easier to imagine the enclosure at the corner, making 45 degrees from each edge combination.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg corner_horn_3d.jpg (42.5 KB, 904 views)
Old 17th October 2005, 11:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Make the room part of the horn

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Speaker
The drawing shows just the basic idea, do not criticize proportions, etc. It is a slim and very tall enclosure with a folded horn and the opening at the top. When mounted in the corner of the room, the ceiling and the two adjacent walls would form the last section of the horn. I think the radiation from the top corner of the room would have an adequate pattern.
The cross section of the enclosure might be square or maybe right triangular, though this one would be harder to build.
I am a novice, but am really excited about it and intend to try and experiment with it in the next couple of months, unless you tell me it sure won't fly.
Thanks,
Michael
This is a TQWT, not a horn. Most 'horns' aren't really horns at all, but variations on the TL theme, not that that matters.

It's an interesting idea. Try using Terry's dimensions (see Post 2) using either the Fostex FE166E, FE167E, FF165K or FE168ESigma. I have, and it shouldn't work -the driver position's all wrong, the drivers aren't right, the sealed end comes to a point, the large end terminates in free space etc etc etc -but it does work. And it thunders, especially if pushed into corners. There's ripple, but it's not as bad as the model predicts. I've just added a new post about this cabinet, because I think it's time we looked at it again and try to figure out why it works, despite the fact that it apparantly shouldn't.

Try it -it's easy enough to build, and doesn't cost much in materials -rough a pair up in MDF, and see what you think. They're more characterful than many speakers, but that's not always a bad thing, and they're certainly fun to listen to. If you don't like it, it won't ahve cost you much, and you can do something else with the drivers.

Best
Scott
Old 18th October 2005, 07:36 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Bob and Scott,
I tried that link and cannot see any of the pictures on melhuis.org. Is the website down or what? Anything I try there, I can only see text, but no images.

Will start building in few weeks, first I need to build some kind of hood around my table saw to reduce dust spreading.

Thanks for your comments!
Old 18th October 2005, 09:05 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Ha! So it's happened to you as well!

No, seriously, on a couple of occasions in the past I've had the same problem, and I'm blowed if I can work out why -I don't think it's the site that's down, but what it is actually is, I don't know. I have the text and images copied into a Word file however for my own reference, so I'll send it to you if you like -send me a private email if you want a copy.

Scott
Old 18th October 2005, 02:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The site looks ok to me but some of the pictures take ages to load on dial up.
Give the page a minute or two and see if anything happens. If not... dunno.
Try using someone elses computer?

Hope you get to see the site, it's very good.

Hide this!Advertise here!