Make the room part of the horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The drawing shows just the basic idea, do not criticize proportions, etc. It is a slim and very tall enclosure with a folded horn and the opening at the top. When mounted in the corner of the room, the ceiling and the two adjacent walls would form the last section of the horn. I think the radiation from the top corner of the room would have an adequate pattern.
The cross section of the enclosure might be square or maybe right triangular, though this one would be harder to build.
I am a novice, but am really excited about it and intend to try and experiment with it in the next couple of months, unless you tell me it sure won't fly.
Thanks,
Michael

Attachments

• big horn.jpg
    big horn.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,518
why think in 2D

I have this design of mine which is using the floor and the side walls as the part of the horn, just like Motorola horn tweeters.

Since you can not shape the walls by means of a mathematical function, you give the enclosure a shape that it will work as a horn when it is placed at the corner.

But the question is, is it easy to find two perfect corners in every house?

(A picture will follow)

Onur

Here is the Picture

Maybe it may clerify what I was trying to say. The dark spot is directed towards one of the corners of the listening room. At a certain distance form the end point is the speaker unit. It is easier to imagine the enclosure at the corner, making 45 degrees from each edge combination.

Attachments

• corner_horn_3d.jpg
    corner_horn_3d.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,013
Michael Speaker said:
The drawing shows just the basic idea, do not criticize proportions, etc. It is a slim and very tall enclosure with a folded horn and the opening at the top. When mounted in the corner of the room, the ceiling and the two adjacent walls would form the last section of the horn. I think the radiation from the top corner of the room would have an adequate pattern.
The cross section of the enclosure might be square or maybe right triangular, though this one would be harder to build.
I am a novice, but am really excited about it and intend to try and experiment with it in the next couple of months, unless you tell me it sure won't fly.
Thanks,
Michael

This is a TQWT, not a horn. Most 'horns' aren't really horns at all, but variations on the TL theme, not that that matters.

It's an interesting idea. Try using Terry's dimensions (see Post 2) using either the Fostex FE166E, FE167E, FF165K or FE168ESigma. I have, and it shouldn't work -the driver position's all wrong, the drivers aren't right, the sealed end comes to a point, the large end terminates in free space etc etc etc -but it does work. And it thunders, especially if pushed into corners. There's ripple, but it's not as bad as the model predicts. I've just added a new post about this cabinet, because I think it's time we looked at it again and try to figure out why it works, despite the fact that it apparantly shouldn't.

Try it -it's easy enough to build, and doesn't cost much in materials -rough a pair up in MDF, and see what you think. They're more characterful than many speakers, but that's not always a bad thing, and they're certainly fun to listen to. If you don't like it, it won't ahve cost you much, and you can do something else with the drivers.

Best
Scott

Bob and Scott,
I tried that link and cannot see any of the pictures on melhuis.org. Is the website down or what? Anything I try there, I can only see text, but no images.

Will start building in few weeks, first I need to build some kind of hood around my table saw to reduce dust spreading.

Thanks for your comments!

Ha! So it's happened to you as well!

No, seriously, on a couple of occasions in the past I've had the same problem, and I'm blowed if I can work out why -I don't think it's the site that's down, but what it is actually is, I don't know. I have the text and images copied into a Word file however for my own reference, so I'll send it to you if you like -send me a private email if you want a copy.

Scott

I have a fast connection, but those pictures are still dead.

I still do not know how others look, but now I think the top of the enclosure should not point straight up into the ceiling, it should rather aim at 45 degree into the corner, otherwise the ceiling would reflect the waves back into the box instead of the rest of the room. To achieve this the enclosure gets complicated and my initial intention was to make a simple one that also allows easy tuning.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Michael Speaker said:
unless you tell me it sure won't fly.

The concept will certainly fly -- the Klipschorn has been doing it for 50+ years.

With any reasonable size horn the designer needs to use the room to "extend" the horn

You'll need to play with some real horn flares to get an idea of how to intgrate the room into the horn...

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.