Sealed Fostex FE126/7 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2005, 06:44 PM   #11
Floric is offline Floric  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi Till,

thank you for your reply. As far as I understood you, you recommend the fe127e in 3,5-4,5l closed. Did you find this volume with your listening-method? Did you think of using the -12dB/octave of the enclosure as a high-pass filter and adding a woofer which goes up to approx 100Hz.

I'm asking because I like the sound of the fe127e with no passive components in the signal path - I even removed the baffle-step after break in. In this "active mode" I think this one is a really good speaker. It's not tonally perfect because of the rising frequency response and a little resonnance somewhere between 6 and 7 kHz which results in sharp "s"es when the singer is close to the microphone. But it offers an imaging and an impulse response which you have to search among even very expensive speakers.

regards

Flo
Old 20th October 2005, 08:41 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hey, thanks for all of the replies. I think I probably will go with one of the bipole designs in the reference Fostex thread. Now, I have done some woodworking before, but am by no means very experienced. Would the TL be too difficult of a build or should I just stick with the box?
Old 20th October 2005, 10:48 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hi a1rocket,

no, I don't think that the designs you mentioned are too difficult to build - unless you want the round top to be really round.

I did not listen to one of those bipoles but as I expect from my experience with dipoles, they could be quite difficult to place in the room.

If you go for the Fostex, don't expect a real bass extension. It is possible to get anything around 50 Hz out of them but normally the impulse response in that region would be "not optimal". There are speakers which are better suited for jobs like this, the Jordan e.g. But if you compare the Fostex to the Jordan (what is not fair because the Jordans are definitely another league), the Fostex give a very much "faster" impulse response with all the consequences concerning soundstage etc. My favourite would be a Fostex with bass extensoin by another speaker at the moment.

And think of the very long break in of those paper cones. I could not believe that the sound of a speaker could change after 200 hrs of listening. But now I know that they do.

regards

Flo
Old 20th October 2005, 10:56 PM   #14
SCD is offline SCD  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default TL design

By all means go with the one of the TL designs. I highly recommend the bipole particularly if you have a bit of room out to the side of your listening area. IE a room that is wider than long. My room is 24x14 I have my speakers set up across the width with the listening chair about ten feet from the drivers. The sound stage is huge and "stuff" seems to come from way outside the actual space of the speakers. It is very great. Bipole means no baffle step loss and very nice smooth sound. You have to hear it to believe it. No electronic hardware in the speaker keeps thing very simple. The drivers can be wired in series or parralel depnding on the amp. I like mine in series it seems to make my amp happy.
These designs are well thought out, tested and proven. Once you decide start a new thread to get some comments.

Good for you, enjoy the ride it is a lot of fun!
Old 20th October 2005, 11:07 PM   #15
SCD is offline SCD  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default bipoles , dipoles

Bipoles are not dipoles. Please do not get them confused. I have built and listened to the designs on the other thread. They are good designs, they perform reasonably well to the modeled characteristics. Read the projections for responses. They are not designed to rock the house, they are not designed to shake the windows, they are designed to give a nice smooth playback with great response in the mid range, reasonable extension in both treble and bass. If you want a three way, build a three way.
As always you need to decide what you want before you build so you do not get disapointed.

Good luck
Old 20th October 2005, 11:24 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I did not say that bipoles are dipoles, I only think that are (almost) simular restrictions concerning the placement of those "bidirectional designs".

But I agree with you, within its limits the Fostex is a great speaker.

Good night
Old 29th October 2005, 07:29 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default preso

Hi Till,

which volume did you use for the monacor? As far as I understood, these are br enclosures, aren't they?

Best regards

Flo
Old 3rd November 2005, 05:05 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi Floric

sorry for my late response, but right now I am full with worx.

yes the SPH-135KEPs play in 13-15 liters BR each. The port is about 20cm long and has a diameter of 55mm.

here is the sim of one driver in 15liters BR, port 24cm² and 21cm length

cu Till
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sph135kep_br.jpg (26.5 KB, 313 views)
Old 6th November 2005, 10:32 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply Till,

I think I will try the design. Did you get the depth of the step in the baffle experimentally? White noise? Or how did you align the phase of the speakers?

Regards

Flo
Old 7th November 2005, 10:52 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hi Floric,

if you need more informations you can allways send me an email. ( till /at\ hornlautsprecher.de ). Maybe some thinks are better to explain in german.

I've got the depth between the fullrange and the woofers experimential but it is pretty exactly the same as shown on the picture below.

regards Till
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abstand.jpg (9.7 KB, 277 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!