Fullrange Desktop Speaker Recommendations? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2005, 07:59 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
Originally posted by edjosh23
blip1882,

How about bipoles?
I had thought about doing bipoles but was worried about the extra complexity/expense... The FE127 bipoles cost a bit more than I had wanted to spend... though if anyone is willing to make a strong case for them as being significantly superior to the others I've listed, I'd definitely consider it.

Quote:
What about the new TB W4 bamboos?
You mean the W4-1320SB? Good idea! I'm keeping a close eye on that thread for real world results.... They certainly look possible on paper.

Quote:
What about the design you made, the Minuet clone?
The Minuet clone is appealing... Honestly I'm a bit suspect of my own capacity as a first time designer . Besides that, from the charts I've seen on those drivers, I'm a bit worried about their trebel response.... That said, you're right I should look into these a bit more... If they're good enough for Omega, they're probably good enough for a desktop system!

While I'm asking anyone know how to model multiple drivers in Martin J. King's worksheets?

Quote:
or the bipole w3 871s mention in that thread?
Again, I was a bit turned off by the complexity of building a bipole... my router skills aren't really that great! That said, they would be relatively inexpensive to build and are very tempting.... hmmm.

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Thanx. The reference monopoles do sound good. I

dave
That's good to hear, right now I'm leaning towards them... But Josh gave me quite a few new options to consider so who knows?

Thanks again.
Old 17th October 2005, 11:11 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

blip1882,

Although I am far from an experienced designer I would not consider bipoles too difficult. Do you have a jasper jig or any other jig to make flush mount and cut out holes? To me that is all you really need. If you remember the issue with the minuet was that the there was bad off axis responce, when you are near field I doubt you will have to deal with too much off axis responce and if you make them bipole and add the tweeter on top like suggested I'm guessing off axis responce would be even better.

I don't know much about the 41hz amp, but what impedeance is too low? I'm guessing it is dependent on your power supply, have you built the amp? Will it even be 4 ohm stable? If using the SI you are probably going to want 4 ohms.

Dave has expressed to me his affinity for bipoles before and can give you much better comparisons than I can.

I have been wanting to make a bipole speaker for a long time now and as soon as my birthday come around I'm going to build some like expressed in my thread. The active BSC is just one pro that turns me on to such designs.

Josh
Old 17th October 2005, 11:34 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
The active BSC is just one pro that turns me on to such designs.
This could be mis-construed a bit... as long as the cabinet has front-to-back symmetry, a bipole has no baffle-step, so there is no need for compensation.

dave
Old 18th October 2005, 12:47 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Dave,

I'm not sure if I misunderstand you or visa versa.
What I was saying was that a woofer on the back side is active BSC so that a passive BSC components are not needed. Not quite sure what you meant.

Dave do you have any suggestions?

Josh
Old 18th October 2005, 01:03 AM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
What I was saying was that a woofer on the back side is active BSC so that a passive BSC components are not needed.
When a discussion is about BSC then it could be put in terms of active BSC, but in reality a bipole has no baffle step so there is nothing to compensate for...

dave
Old 18th October 2005, 03:14 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Diy Seattle Meet scroll to W4-1052SA and NS3

Hide this!Advertise here!