Fostex fe127e break in

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

some month ago I bought a pair of Fostex fe127e and built a pair of 12l bass reflex enclosures for them, just to get a feeling for this fullrange thing.

First impression werde very sharp hights and a kind of shout. From reading in the forums I knew that there is a need for an extended break in, especially for fostex drivers. Anyhow I had the need for a baffle-step compensation. After implementation the sound got better.

To scale the baffle step I made a quick and very simple - really not exact measurement using my pc and speaker workshop.

Five month later I tried the speakers again without the bsc and the sound was very much better than before. Remebering my old measurement I measured again. I tried to reconstruct the old setup:

- same positiom of speaker and microphone in the room (except for some things lying arond)
- same speaker and same microphone
- same computer, soundcard, amp and actually the same cables
- almost the same settings of the soundcard, the volume etc. (had to add approx. 10 dB to the old values to get them in the same range)

The result really surprised me, I did not think that the effects of a break in where that pronounced. It is not an exact measurement because of the limitations of my micro - forget everything above 7 kHz, I hear the tones but they are not measured, the limitations of the room - forget everything below 300 Hz and because of the limitations of computer hardware. But if you take it as a relative measurement the result is quite drastic and it reproduces what I hear.

The result even gets more drastic if you take into account that the speakers had some 20 hrs of break in before the first measurement.

The black line in the graph represents the actual measurement, the red line the old one.

I am courious what will have happened to the speakers when they were used for one year.

have a nice day

Flo

Attachments

• my127e_break_in.pdf
    68.9 KB · Views: 156
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.