Fullrange 100 hz and up - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2005, 03:26 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
I was thinking something better and more suited, like the Visaton B200. If budget and/or shielding are issues then the FE127E does really well on OB. Then you can use those later as outstanding computer speakers when you upgrade to something a bit better like the B200.
Old 11th October 2005, 04:34 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't think a 127 on an open baffle would be able to reach very high SPL's due to a limited excursion. The 207 would probably be alright on open baffle at high volumes, I would however make sure to have it crossed over at 100Hz. Note that the response of the driver will already be falling by this point so you take a carefull look at your crossover point/slope. And depending on the size of your baffle some EQ might be needed.
I would probably stick with a sealed design if you wanted to keep the complexity down. I don't know about bass, but I think as far as treble/midrange a large sealed enclosure can perform (please no flames) quite well, and will hold it's own against open baffle. Everybodys taste and priorities are different though.
Joe
Old 11th October 2005, 05:07 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
I use the FE206 on OB, but it definitely needs a helper woofer. You might be able to use a shallow slope XO on your woofers and a little EQ on the 207's to get away with not using an additional driver.

Since you already have OB for the bottom end, I think using a FR that gives you the ability to go OB results in more flexibility. You can always put them in a box later.

Re the FE127, I've run mine pretty loud (approaching 100db) without a high pass filter, so cutting them at 100hz may get you there for under $100/pr .
Old 12th October 2005, 02:47 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johninCR

Re the FE127, I've run mine pretty loud (approaching 100db) without a high pass filter, so cutting them at 100hz may get you there for under $100/pr .

100db in open baffle with no crossover? I would think you would be pushing well past the excursion limits on a regular basis. Fostex drivers are not exactly known for their huge excursion capabilities. Have you tried it with a high pass? I would have to imagine it would clean up the sound. I ran my 108's in a sealed enclosure for a while with no crossover, I've since switched to running them with a capacitor to ease the load on the little guys. It's really helped clean the sound up quite a bit.
just a thought.
Joe
Old 12th October 2005, 03:15 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

That was just temporary. I didn't play them that loud with any bass heavy music. I'm just waiting on my active XO to arrive. I tried them on my Denon HT receiver, using the small setting, but I could hear that XO too much and they were much smoother with it running full range. I can't wait to see what they sound like with a good high pass filter. I have a feeling I'm going to like them better than my FE206's with the helper woofer.

Hide this!Advertise here!