Looking for a first project...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just finished building my first set of 2a3 tube amplfiers - around 3 watts. I want to build a set of speakers to use with them, but I think my needs may be different from most.

I want to use the speakers in my office at work so I can't listen at high volumes - 70dB at the loudest. In addition, I don't really need or want great bass response because I will annoy others around me (currently using a set of JMR Twins and I get complaints). Maybe 100 - 150 hz and above.

Mostly people think of high efficiency speakers with low wattage tube amps, but would a less efficient speaker be better for this application?

As I mentioned in the subject, this will be my first speaker building project. I would like to start very simple because I don't have any woodworking experience.

Thanks for your ideas.

A pair of Needles would be fine for what you want.

I have a friend Keith G who posts on uk.rec.audio who uses a low powered valve amp and a pair of Needles and thinks they are great.

He uses Fostex FE83's, 88dB, drivers which are a bit more sensitive than the FRS8's at 82dB, used in the original project. Be warned though this does not make as much difference as a lot of people tend to think, in other words 3 Watts will blast you out of the room. Keith tries it out on hi builders who thought that at least 100 Watts was going into the speakers and were amazed to hear the truth.

You'll be OK though with either drive unit and get a gorgously detailed and deep sound stage of the Needles.

Jem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.