Car speakers in room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm thinking about putting a cheap sound system in my bedroom, using an old receiver, cd player, and a speaker mounted in each top corner of my room, and doing it all as cheap as possible.

Anyways I have 4 5"x8" speakers that I took out of my '97 Mountaineer's premium sound system. Two of them are already enclosed, and the other two aren't.

So what I was thinking is mounting these in my room. Does anyone have any experience doing that or have any idea what it'd sound like? I figured I'd try and just use them since I already have them, and wouldn't have to pay for new speakers. Plus I figure they'll have a fuller range than any of those tiny cube speakers. Obviously I'll have to enclose the other two speakers but.

Any advice?

Are you thinking of placing a speaker in each corner of the room for background music or parties etc.? If so, that's fine, as the speakers will be 'out of the way'.

If you want to bring out the best from your music for 'listening' this isn't a great idea as the frequency response will be really messy and the stereo image will be indistiguishable with speakers set up this way.

A compromise would be to place two speakers in one corner and two in another, so you will at least get a defined sound stage if you are listening from a certain point, although this might not be very effective if you are seated closer to the speakers than the distance between them.

Hope this helps.

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.